Mission solar panel opinion (320 watt for 184.00 on eBay)

martinruss7
martinruss7 Registered Users Posts: 23 ✭✭
Just wondering if anyone has purchased and put into service, the mission 320 watt solar panels on eBay. I'm thinking of buying some and would like to hear opinions first. Thanks all

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I couldn't find the exact listing you are referring to, If the seller is "minidiscmini" His on line business is Solar Blvd. He is usually cheaper through his web site. Though He's currently at $175 at eBay and $167 at his site;

https://www.solarblvd.com/index.php?cPath=1_270&osCsid=aa6a02b76aa0ebda1aeb38dd56e61662

Mission is a new company, and I have no experience with their panels, Freight is always the expensive part on large panels.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
     One thing I have discovered about their "Make Offer" option. They generally wont accept any offer unless it is within a dollar or two of their buy it now price. I contacted them trying to make an offer for 150 modules and was told that they are selling so many modules at their full price that they aren't giving any breaks on volume purchases. I offered to pick up in person and pay cash. Made no difference.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• Photowhit
     One thing I have discovered about their "Make Offer" option. They generally wont accept any offer unless it is within a dollar or two of their buy it now price. I contacted them trying to make an offer for 150 modules and was told that they are selling so many modules at their full price that they aren't giving any breaks on volume purchases. I offered to pick up in person and pay cash. Made no difference.
    I'm sure this varies a lot by quantity, seller, and item.

I purchased a couple 100 foot 10 gauge wires with free shipping, from "minidiscmini", he was fine with an offer that was a few dollars less since he would save on the shipping. He was already the lowest price for the wire by it's self, I might have been upset other wise as they were soldered MC4 connectors and I clipped them.

You can look at a sellers feedback and it will show if they have accepted offers in the past, Often they will make a counter offer that is about as low as they will go.

I try to direct people to eBay sellers website for discounts, since between eBay and PayPal they take @ 10% and 3% of the sale.  If eBay finds a seller directly people to their website they will kick them off for a while.

I like using PayPal, it' saved my backside a couple times with fraudulent dealers/sellers. Others hate PayPal, if you are a seller you should not link PayPal to your personal bank account as a dispute lodged with them can freeze a linked account!
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Understood. I have bought AND sold on ebay for a long time now. The 13% fee really sux when trying to make a small profit on your item. That being said you think they would welcome a private party who is now on the phone with them, (ebay wont allow exchange of phone numbers) who is offering to buy a large quantity and pick up with cash in hand. I was baffled.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• Photowhit
    Just wondering if anyone has purchased and put into service, the mission 320 watt solar panels on eBay. I'm thinking of buying some and would like to hear opinions first. Thanks all

I guess because I search for this, these came up in a Google ad; They have dropped the price to $144 a panel or 45 cents a watt.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Mission-Solar-320W-Watts-24V-Volts-Monocrystalline-Solar-Panel-Made-In-USA-/311774906772?hash=item48973b8994:g:DesAAOSwjDZYdq5X
  • MichaelK
    MichaelK Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    Hello Martin
    I could take a look at them on Friday, if it's the same Solar Blvd in Norco, California.  I stopped by there last Friday to look at his YingLi 250W panels.  Supposedly they are so cheap because they were left outside at a cancelled job site.  After taking a look at them, I bought 2000w worth of panels, because though filthy, they look brand new.  Will be picking them up on Friday.
    System 1) 15 Renogy 300w + 4 250W Astronergy panels,  Midnight 200 CC, 8 Trojan L16 bat., Schneider XW6848 NA inverter, AC-Delco 6000w gen.
    System 2) 8 YingLi 250W panels, Midnight 200CC, three 8V Rolls batteries, Schneider Conext 4024 inverter (workshop)
  • MichaelK
    OK, here's an update.  Upon my visit on Friday, I looked at both the Mission 320Watt, and also the Cynergy 320 Watt.  Both look like they are quality panels.  Here is one very important point I was unaware of before looking at the panels.  One of the managers at SolarBlvd pointed out that the Cynergy panels are NOT UL listed, hence the lower price.  For a grid-tie installation, using a non-UL listed panel would be considered a serious code violation, subject to a stiff fine.  For off-grid, they are OK, but for on-grid, a big no no.

Getting back to the YingLi panels.  They had washed all my panels and loaded them onto a pallet for me to take home.  Once at the cabin, I unloaded them, and checked the Voc and Aoc for each panel in direct, late-afternoon sun, at ~5pm.  The Voc/Aoc, Vmp/Amp specs for this panel are 38.4Voc/8.79Aoc and 30.4Vmp/8.24Amp.  With my little multimeter I measured 34.5Voc and 7.5Aoc.  I have not yet had the time to do an test under load at optimal noon-time conditions, but they all appear at first glance to be OK.

BTW, I would not take their "out of stock" or "currently available" labels as anywhere accurate.  I saw pallet after pallet of different sized panels in storage, and ready for shipment.  For the YingLi for example, their site says 176 in stock, both before and after I made my purchase, but the manager told me they actually have about 500 in stock last Friday afternoon.  Your best option is to actually call them and talk to a live person before making any conclusions about availability.

Good luck!
    Michael
    System 1) 15 Renogy 300w + 4 250W Astronergy panels,  Midnight 200 CC, 8 Trojan L16 bat., Schneider XW6848 NA inverter, AC-Delco 6000w gen.
    System 2) 8 YingLi 250W panels, Midnight 200CC, three 8V Rolls batteries, Schneider Conext 4024 inverter (workshop)
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017 #9
    I am hoping they make it! Two layoffs in a year and seeing panels on E-bay does not build confidence. Selling 2nd grade has plenty of risk.

They will be at SPI in a few weeks in Vegas. I did a project with a buddy with the panels in the screen shot and I was hoping to use them for another. There are plenty of 350 watt panels out there from LG with a far better warranty from someone who will be there, so I disagree with the previous post. Panasonic also along with Sunpower in the elite category for power and product warranty.

The type N below is not on their site, that I could find today, and so that is sad to me. Awesome to see a bifacial solar panel in snow country. Crossing fingers but beware!

Not even going there with the weather in San Antonio today where the factory is or was.... 50" of rain, ow!

"we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Unless the Cynergy panels are 2nds or something, I would be very surprised if they are not NRTL Listed (Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory).

UL used to be the only "acceptable" Listing Mark decades ago--But today, there are others (ETL, TUV, etc.) are fine too.

However, I could not find any online evidence that they are NRTL Listed.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Dave Angelini
    And is there a manufactures label on the panel or something that is printed on regular paper that the folks in Miami are famous for....
    Solar Blvd is known for getting rid of other peoples issues BTW. I always love how they say they are good enough for offgrid >:)

• Photowhit
    MichaelK said:
    ... One of the managers at SolarBlvd pointed out that the Cynergy panels are NOT UL listed, hence the lower price.  For a grid-tie installation, using a non-UL listed panel would be considered a serious code violation, subject to a stiff fine.  For off-grid, they are OK, but for on-grid, a big no no.
    This is a local or power company issue. My local power company doesn't care (or at least didn't, 5 year old info) what was on the other side of the gridtie inverter. Only that the inverter was UL/ETL listed. I was asking about my Evergreen panels that were ETL to UL standards... and they basically told me they didn't care.
  • Dave Angelini
    edited August 2017 #13
    Photowhit said:
    MichaelK said:
    ... One of the managers at SolarBlvd pointed out that the Cynergy panels are NOT UL listed, hence the lower price.  For a grid-tie installation, using a non-UL listed panel would be considered a serious code violation, subject to a stiff fine.  For off-grid, they are OK, but for on-grid, a big no no.
    This is a local or power company issue. My local power company doesn't care (or at least didn't, 5 year old info) what was on the other side of the gridtie inverter. Only that the inverter was UL/ETL listed. I was asking about my Evergreen panels that were ETL to UL standards... and they basically told me they didn't care.
    Agree Photowit but our building department sometimes cares and sometimes does not. The Utility in our county is clueless as usual.
    If I were grid based I would not take the chance as anything that causes a red flag will just snowball. They can ruin your day! I have done a handfull for friends and I always tell them they are in charge managing an owner/builder install that is permitted. My guidance is as a consultant only. I would hate to lose a friend over utility solar power!  Most of the ones who lost power during our fire asked me why????
    I send them the old e-mail with my original recommendation to buy a propane generator for their 500 gallon propane tank, then do solar!

• MichaelK
    Quick update on a simple test I performed.  I wanted to put some of the YingLi panels under load to determine what their real output was, but I don't have a 24volt controller.  I just took my old set of T105 batteries, and rewired them to 24 volts.  I made jury-rigged MC4 connecters at one end, with clamps at the other ends, and hooked the raw panel voltage directly to the batteries.  With my Fluke clamp, I was able to measure an output of 6.2 amps at 29.5 volts.  So, I was able to confirm they will produce at least 183 watts under normal conditions.  Even if that's below specification, I'm still getting >2.4 watts per dollar.  Once I get a controller, I can give you all updated numbers.
  • Dave Angelini
    An easier method is just look at the short circuit current and log it for a day or more to make sure there are not intermittents. Sometimes the reason a panel is a B or C second grade is that they have internal problems with the blocking diodes and internal circuit bonds. Sometimes these issues only show up in a string of panels. You probably are fine and sometimes it is just cosmetics, sometimes!

• MichaelK
    Dave, how do you log short circuit current?  My little multimeter has a 20amp measurement setting, but that's for 10 seconds maximum.  My Fluke clamp meter has no way to log anything as far as I know.
  • Dave Angelini
    Some of the Flukes and others will do this but often a charge controller and a web application from Outback or Schneider is easier. Other CC's probably do this also but I only use these. You just are looking for big changes in output that are happening in steady sunshine.
    You probably are good enough with just checking it over 2 hours for anything anomalous and comparing at least a couple panels.