Help! Fxr3048A stopped working

MauiSun
MauiSun Registered Users Posts: 7 ✭✭
I set up an fp2 about a month ago, everything was running flawlessly, then yesterday the power suddenly went out.
Checked the fp2 and the master inverter was getting power (orange active status light on), but not doing anything  (both battery and status lights off). The sub master had all its lights on and seems to be working but has an error (battery light green, status light red).

I checked the mate3 and found the following errors:
-stacking error
-phase loss warning
-Inverter firmware revisions are different

I also get the following error message:
" a inverter firmware mismatch has been detected. Inverters 7 are disabled. Visit outbackpower.com for current Inverter firmwares"
I've tried updating the firmware for both the fxr and the mate3 but still getting the firmware error.

I've tried restarting the system, but every time I turn on the inverter breakers the master inverter won't make a sound and only the orange status light will turn on, where the submaster inverter will turn on, test the fan, and all the lights turn on.

When I look at the hub, the green light for the master inverter (slot 1) doesn't blink. The one for the submaster (slot 7) does blink. If I switch the inverters from slot 1 and 7, then I get a blinking light on 1 but not 7. 
So it appears to me that there is a communication failure between the Inverter that is currently the master, and the hub. The hub doesn't appear to be detecting the master Inverter. 
But, wouldnt the master Inverter still kick on (test fan, battery and statues lights turning on) even if it's not able to communicate with the hub?

Comments

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

Hi MauiSun,

Have you tried contacting OB Tech Support via email,  or phone?

OR,  Tech Support does offer a lot of support on the OB Forum:
    http://www.outbackpower.com/forum/

These are the only things that I can offer.    Good Luck,   Vic

Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • MauiSun
    Yes, tried calling outback support and they wouldn't offer any help unless they were talking to a licensed electrical technician. Searched the forums and couldn't find anything similar to this issue.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Mauai..,

Very sorry that OB will NOT support the end-user ...   this appears to be a very large change from previous Policy.

Try joining the OB Forum as a Member,  and  post your questions there.   The Forum seems to have support from OB Tech,   it might take a day for a reply from Tech.

Also,  there are a number of knowledgeable members there who might be able to help.

Good Luck,   Vic

Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • MauiSun
    UPDATE!! Problem found! I'll post what I discovered in case others encounter a similar issue.

OK, ran some more tests and...
    So I changed the inverter settings on the mate3 to single master inverter in the "inverter stacking" menu. Plugged in the sub master inverter (working inverter) directly into the mate3, and the mate would turn on when I turned on the inverter by hitting the slave inverter switch. OK, now I know the firmware update error bullshit was just that... inverter works fine with the firmware it has.

Then I tried plugging in the master inverter (non working inverter) directly into the mate3, but when I hit the master inverter breaker the mate did not turn on. For some reason the inverter is not only doesn't have any AC out voltage, but the communication wire doesn't either..... this explains the stacking error. 

The inverter itself still did the same thing as before; the orange "active" light for "DC" turns on, but the "AC out" was off, the inverter fan did not kick on, and the green yellow red battery and inverter status LEDs were off. This turned out to be important in the troubleshoot, so if your symptoms are similar, keep on reading.

So I called outback again, told them the problem was somewhere between the DC input and the communication board for the AC output. The tech asked me a few questions about which lights would turn on. When I told him neither the green yellow red battery and inverter status LEDS or the fan were turning on, but that the orange DC light on the left side of the display was on (but not the orange AC out) he told me that that narrows it down to the DC motherboard.

The board you see, with the AC out connections, temperature sensor, GYR led battery and inverter status, etc is the AC motherboard. BEHIND that there is a DC motherboard. If that board is fried, the orange active light will turn on, but the GYR LEDS won't! The entire AC motherboard will not get power if the DC board is fried.
    It turns out this is a recent and know problem regarding this DC motherboard! They have since made an updated version with more powerful resistors, and said they would send a replacement right away.

So if you have a similar issue, call outback and be very precise about the symptoms, bring up the DC motherboard and have them send you a replacement! Don't let them tell you they can only speak to an electrician!

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to convince them to send two updated DC boards for the other FXR.... let's hope that one doesn't crap out in the future too...
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting.

I had a similar issue about 18 months ago but the inverter was completely dead. Switching the former slave to master also got me running again.

I emailed Outback support with the symptoms and tests I had done, and they sent forms to RMA and replace boards fairly quickly. They didn't ask if I was an electrician, and I didn't tell them (I'm not). Replaced boards and no problems since.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • MauiSun
    Here's a video i made of the fix. 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH1UrzzelTM
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For those of us in the sticks and lousy internet, can you briefly describe what is in the mystery video ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    The video is a time lapse of removing and replacing a control board from an installed Outback inverter. Here is a snapshot of the board being replaced:

Boy--that was a lot of work.

-Bill

Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's worth watching the Outback video if you can get out of the sticks. Swapping the boards isn't that hard, but there are a few tips (like checking gasket, routing ribbon cables, etc) that might be gotchas otherwise. Not sure if that's the MauiSun video (I'm also in the sticks).
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter