Did sharp quit making solar panels?

Options
solarvic
solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭
 On e of my solar arrays is sharp panels. I was away from the forum a couple years and never see sharp panels for sale. There was an article in my newspaper today that some company in Taiwan bought some of sharp electronics and want to locate to the US to make cell phone screens. Their are at leasy 5 states that are trying to woo them including Pennsylvania. Solarvic

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I believe Sharp is a major player in Japan. After 2011 earthquake and tsunami they had more business than they could handle there, as the demand increased hugely, and largely quit exporting to the US... (Something like that) They also were reorganized a couple years ago. Not sure if they have any US distribution now...
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Maybe they'll be looking here again soon.

Ran across this article on the solar boom going bust in Japan;
    http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2016/11/30/business/sun-setting-japans-solar-energy-boom/#.WXa-NLpFzIU
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The name of the company is Foxconn. They think it might create 10,000 jobs in the USA.  If you Google Foxconn you can read all about it. They will be making smart phones, tablets and other things here in the good old USA.