Problems getting the new Schneider/Xantrex C-35 controller to work...

Options
13»

Comments

• Solray
    Solray Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    Options
    How is aquarium maintenance frustrating?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    26.4 volts at battery when charging is really not charging--Just low float voltage.

For your bank, you need ~29.0-29.5 volts minimum for around 4-6 hours (deeply discharged battery bank.

How many AH is the battery bank? 10 amps charging into a 200 AH or larger batter bank is not a lot of charging current, and you need to support that with charging current from your other system/genset/etc.

A battery is not really equalizing unless you have 30-32 volts (typical) during equalization. And the battery needs to start being mostly charged (>90% State of charge) before you can really equalize.

You said that you had two bad cells... Are they still in the bank? How are they bad (open/shorted/bad Specific Gravity)?

Have you measured/logged the specific gravity for each cell?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BB. said:
    26.4 volts at battery when charging is really not charging--Just low float voltage.

For your bank, you need ~29.0-29.5 volts minimum for around 4-6 hours (deeply discharged battery bank.

How many AH is the battery bank? 10 amps charging into a 200 AH or larger batter bank is not a lot of charging current, and you need to support that with charging current from your other system/genset/etc.

A battery is not really equalizing unless you have 30-32 volts (typical) during equalization. And the battery needs to start being mostly charged (>90% State of charge) before you can really equalize.

You said that you had two bad cells... Are they still in the bank? How are they bad (open/shorted/bad Specific Gravity)?

Have you measured/logged the specific gravity for each cell?

-Bill
    The bad cells were in a 12 volt battery in the 48 volt system.

Perhaps it is time to try a different controller.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • softdown
    Options
    Solray said:
    How is aquarium maintenance frustrating?
    Fish are animals and they need healthy water. List of things that can, and do, fail:

Ah hell....there are 100 reasons. Maybe 150. Have enough other problems to solve.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In theory, both the neg and ground should be at the same potential. The voltage readings should be +whatever from that. Where are the bolt heads making contact? I'm assuming there's an intentional B- to ground and this isn't it?

Just to clarify in my mind, where are you getting the battery voltage reading.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    how many Amps is the CC putting out?

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • softdown
    edited July 2017 #68
    Options
    Estragon said:
    In theory, both the neg and ground should be at the same potential. The voltage readings should be +whatever from that. Where are the bolt heads making contact? I'm assuming there's an intentional B- to ground and this isn't it?

Just to clarify in my mind, where are you getting the battery voltage reading.
    I get the same reading whether I use the battery terminals or the bolt heads that connect the charge controller. I believe that is the usual case.

Funny that the battery voltage has not changed considering it is powering two freezers over the week-end. Based on that, it is likely getting charged.

Seems I always have a lot of distractions. A rental house got shot up and the tenant split. The other rental was discovered to have 8 holes where rats are getting in. Bill: At least $1200. What were my tenant and manager up to anyway?
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
     So let's get this straight. You are running 2 freezers off a 360 watt array charging a forklift battery through a Xantrex C-35 charge controller.  Correct me if I'm wrong. If this is in fact the case then it's a miracle your battery isn't completely dead.
     It would've been much easier to diagnose your problems if all this was brought up in the beginning. I know this thread started with your controller being in equalize mode and has morphed to where we are now.
      Bottom line, without going through your loads, or matching your array output  to your battery AH rating. You are grossly under paneled.  If I remember correctly you have some more panels available. If not you need more. Max out your C-35 ASAP. This is still less than your battery needs but with the paltry 10 amps, max you have connected now it's a miracle your freezers are still running.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• softdown
    Options
     So let's get this straight. You are running 2 freezers off a 360 watt array charging a forklift battery through a Xantrex C-35 charge controller.  Correct me if I'm wrong. If this is in fact the case then it's a miracle your battery isn't completely dead.
     It would've been much easier to diagnose your problems if all this was brought up in the beginning. I know this thread started with your controller being in equalize mode and has morphed to where we are now.
      Bottom line, without going through your loads, or matching your array output  to your battery AH rating. You are grossly under paneled.  If I remember correctly you have some more panels available. If not you need more. Max out your C-35 ASAP. This is still less than your battery needs but with the paltry 10 amps, max you have connected now it's a miracle your freezers are still running.
    Wrong....I run one freezer off of two arrays and two battery banks. This week-end things have changed due to the main 48 volt system crapping out at 1am.

So I am running two freezers this week-end and trying to figure out the controller that seems to be in question. It was flashing Equalization mode until yesterday. I can't figure things out so well unless it is isolated while charging. Right now it is borrowing needed juice from the other battery bank.
  • littleharbor2
    Options
    softdown said:
    Wrong....I run one freezer off of two arrays and two battery banks. This week-end things have changed due to the main 48 volt system crapping out at 1am.

So I am running two freezers this week-end and trying to figure out the controller that seems to be in question. It was flashing Equalization mode until yesterday. I can't figure things out so well unless it is isolated while charging. Right now it is borrowing needed juice from the other battery bank.

Got it.  You've got a lot going on there with multiple systems. Hope you get it worked out so you can focus on your other issues and get your boat finished.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    > @softdown said:
    > Estragon said:
    >
    >
    > In theory, both the neg and ground should be at the same potential. The voltage readings should be +whatever from that. Where are the bolt heads making contact? I'm assuming there's an intentional B- to ground and this isn't it?
    >
    >
    >
    > Just to clarify in my mind, where are you getting the battery voltage reading.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I get the same reading whether I use the battery terminals or the bolt heads that connect the charge controller. I believe that is the usual case.
    >
    > Funny that the battery voltage has not changed considering it is powering two freezers over the week-end. Based on that, it is likely getting charged.
    >
    > Seems I always have a lot of distractions. A rental house got shot up and the tenant split. The other rental was discovered to have 8 holes where rats are getting in. Bill: At least $1200. What were my tenant and manager up to anyway?

So Vbatt at battery posts = Vbatt at the + and- bussbars that connect the charge controller to the battery, but Vout at the CC is ~5v higher?

If Vbatt is roughly stable with ~ 1kw load, that does suggest you're getting some charge.

I hate rentals. Been there, got the t-shirt. Don't need another one.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • softdown
    edited July 2017 #73
    Options
    Have two solar challenges at the moment. Recent developments:
    Xantrex C-35 shows about 27.6 volts at the terminals. That may seem alright though it is , of course, having little impact on the 1650 pound battery. The battery voltage has risen from 24.1 to 24.2 volts in the past two hours. Maybe the controller is OK now while it was doing nothing while blinking red/green.

48 volt bank survived the night with one battery bank instead of two. Morning voltage was 48.2. Still thinking of using it until it dies. Every month I squeeze out of it saves me ~~$75 in battery usage. Cripes....I could likely squeeze another year out of it by spending ~$400-600 on replacement batteries. Gee.

Genset usage is OK. I just managed it improperly when I awoke, stunned, to a 1am power outage.

Things are looking up today for sure. Yesterday morning was a nightmare. The controller was saying scary things like Comm Error etc. I was worried about a bad controller and/or inverter and/or genset. It was me being stupid.....out of practice.

EDIT: Wrote this sometime yesterday and failed to get it posted.
  • littleharbor2
    Options
    Post # 57. Thought I read it before.

• softdown
    Options
    It is doing much better today. In spite of the clouds, showing 25 volts under a cloudy charge. Just needs a little help with two freezers instead of one.