Conext Bridge for XW+ Li-ions from LG and Hoppecke announced for 2nd half 2017

Comments

• twistedtree
    twistedtree Solar Expert Posts: 135 ✭✭✭
    It must be a limit in the BMS, because if you parallel battery packs, each will see roughly 1/2 the charge/discharge current.

I must say this is all very encouraging and timely.  My Surrette battery bank is nearing EOL and I would really like to switch to LiFePO, but also want to limit how much of a science project I take on at this point.  The Bridge looks quite promising.

I have an XW6048, so load-wise it's a reasonable match for the RESU10.  I just need to think through how much storage capacity I want/need.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say it is the limit of the design. Everything is logged internally for warranty. The battery in use is indicated on the RESU plus combiner. The two batteries are not on at the same time. Tesla does this also although I really do not know much about their latest as they keep changing. The LG has been in use in Australia for nearly 3 years now. I have client begging for the Bridge there.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• twistedtree
    twistedtree Solar Expert Posts: 135 ✭✭✭
    Oh, now I get it.  It all makes sense if they cycle through one battery at a time.  And that's a good way to minimize leaving them at a constant high state of charge.
  • Dave Angelini
    You can always lower the solar charge voltage. In the plot below I am set for 97% Soc but I will lower it with summer. The problem is we are not there yet with rain yesterday in the plot. The red current is just into battery, there is a 1 kw heating/reefer/stuff load that does not show on this plot.  The red spikes are clouds....

• gbaig
    gbaig Registered Users Posts: 32 ✭✭
    Dave Excellent info. I am struggling to access my combos remotely. Could you please refer me to the configurations steps. I live about 2 thousand miles away from home. Visit every 2 months but system is on and export energy to the grid.
  • Dave Angelini
    edited June 2017 #97
    Search the forum here. There is plenty. If you contact me thru my e-mail I will bill you, but you do get value I add for clients only.
    There is also a quick start guide for combox on the Schneider site. Below is the Conext Insight Web Portal. System data from Combox.
    http://solar.schneider-electric.com/product/conext-combox/

• gbaig
    gbaig Registered Users Posts: 32 ✭✭
    Let me have your email
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    In Dave's signature.

- Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Dave Angelini
    We are far enough in the testing that I installed the Bridge from the test bench up to the wall. The old XW 1,100 AH system on the left will free up some room when it is re-purposed.

• Lumisol
    Lumisol Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭✭
    Reminds me of the 'power room' in the vault from Fallout. :)
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish my room was as big or as neat :-)
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Dave Angelini
    edited June 2017 #103
    Estragon said:
    I wish my room was as big or as neat :-)
    I once said that to the ship captain of the engineering spaces I was working on.  He said to me "they are all small on the ocean"
    Thank-you for the kind words, and thanks also Horsefly

• Dave Angelini
    I promised a few folks I would show the upgrade from an XW to an XW+ to work with the Bridge. It is on the Schneider site and I will place a link here when the time gets closer to release. The final manual is done and I am starting to see the LG chem RESU series starting to get in the market. No US pricing yet though. Having an extremely accurate State of charge is really nice with the 100F weather we are having. It makes the cooling runs overnight very easy to judge.

• Dave Angelini
    Below is a pix of the newer "mini PDP" for any XW. It smaller and cheaper than the full size power distrib panel. It comes with a Bussbar to DC distribution that will fit all XW's (+) & (-) terminals, a 250 DC breaker, space for (2) 100 A or less breakers, The AC bypass switching& wiring, a Gen or grid breaker. and space to fit the conext bridge on the right below. It has cover in the second pix that keeps it secure. Really fast to install. A couple 100A breakers and 12KW of solar from 2 mppt-80-600s would make it easy build a compact system.

• bennyspoon
    bennyspoon Registered Users Posts: 6 ✭✭
    Greetings, I am in Australia and the bridge is not as yet released here. The resu has been available for a while now, so we have the opposite supply issue to you guys. I have spoken with tech support at lg chem regarding the resu being used off grid with the bridge and was told that they wouldn't warranty the resu as they had had issues with inrush current damaging the bms. I imagine that this is one of the things that the bridge is there to prevent from happening?
    Would the battery charge setpoints be something that is settable on the charge controller or something that is contained within the firmware and is not adjustable?

• Dave Angelini
    edited July 2017 #108
    LG Chem is just finishing their certification for the Offgrid use & Grid support use of the the Schneider Electric Bridge. To use an LG battery as you said with warranty, LG needs to approve its use. The Inverter charger and the mppts have a heartbeat signal from the LG BMS that must be there. It is fairly automatic but as always there is some leeway. I need that and do insist on it living offgrid. 

I have looked at Victron and SMA and they are definitely not close to being approved for Offgrid or back-up. The LG is really well thought out and the testing of the lower priced CSW 4048 is moving forward and I will get my hands on one for my LG / Bridge test site soon. Schneider is very focused on Australia with a test site there, I would bet you should see this in September. More options also from others!

Have a gooday Mate! What part of Australia?  Beautiful country!

• Solray
    Solray Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    I used to go to Australia to play with some local bands there in the winter here (summer) and just to get away for a few months a year. The coastal areas and for a few miles inland are nice country, the rest, meh.
  • bennyspoon
    That's great to hear Dave, very encouraging stuff indeed.G'day back to you. We are in the Huon valley southern Tassie, last municipality before the south pole! The sun is making occasional appearances but the rains haven't started yet so no hydro. :'( The old lister is paying for himself yet again! Solray must never have come here, it's beautiful inland here on my island.
  • Dave Angelini
    edited July 2017 #111
    We spent a season off the boat driving around in an old cruiser van and got to Tassie, loved it! and the islands wow!

We are fighting major as you say "bush fires" and trying to smile when the big planes come in. DC10's 30 meters off the roof tonight and the fire is really close. The fire pump is charged and we are ready. Nice to have a reliable and efficient battery. We may need it tomorrow as the skies go to a dark winter day in the middle of summer. 3/4 inch ash snowflakes and burned leaves coming down. One of the firefighters was on the radio saying that " the guy who started it was in a 150K$ motor home that had an oven/range inside better than the one in most peoples homes. Did he really have to have a cooking fire?" 

• bennyspoon
    Woah, we have the same problems here in summer. The scariest time of year. Go well and stay safe.
  • karrak
    karrak Solar Expert Posts: 326 ✭✭✭✭
    All the best with the fire Dave. Sounds like you are well prepared. We went through the "Yarloop fire" eighteen months ago.

It was fortunate we supply all our own power as it took weeks to get the grid fixed up in the rest of the district.

Simon
    Off-Grid with LFP (LiFePO4) battery, battery Installed April 2013
    32x90Ah Winston cells 2p16s (48V), MPP Solar PIP5048MS 5kW Inverter/80A MPPT controller/60A charger, 1900W of Solar Panels
    modified BMS based on TI bq769x0 cell monitors.
    Homemade overall system monitoring and power management  https://github.com/simat/BatteryMonitor

• Dave Angelini
    Thank-you so much Simon!

It means alot to us!

Tonight and tomorrow am will tell the story. It is out of control and the air resources were sent to other fires nearby. Still have DSL but the cell keeps dropping. All the power in town is out as they are trying to convince people to evacuate. I might send my SO out with the Sheriff but I will fight it. Cheers!

• karrak
    karrak Solar Expert Posts: 326 ✭✭✭✭
    FWIW We had one days warning about the fire which was invaluable in giving time to clean up around the house and seal up any gaps where embers could get into the building and check that all our equipment was functioning. It was somewhat nerve wracking seeing the fire getting closer but we were kept busy.

We were fortunate that the wind had died down when the fire came through at night and the fire near our house was started by a burning ember that had traveled about 1km (0.6 mile) from the main fire front. We let the fire burn up to a containment line close to the building that we had decided to defend to. This gave us a burnt buffer when the main fire front came through. It took two of us around seven hours of hard work to get to the point where we had a burnt buffer around all the infrastructure we wanted to save. It was invaluable having two people in wireless contact with each other looking after each other's backs. I wouldn't like to fight a fire by myself. You never know what might go wrong. We have a pretty fireproof room with aluminum shutters on the windows that we could retreat to if things really got bad.

We spent the next few days putting out flare ups. We slept in shifts to make sure that someone was always on duty.

With large out of control fires you cannot rely on getting help from the fire brigades, especially at night. You have to be self sufficient.

One of the most important things we found was having confidence in ourselves, our equipment and our preparation. Was helped by the fact that we are members of the local fire brigade so had some idea what to expect.

We will be thinking of you.

Simon

Off-Grid with LFP (LiFePO4) battery, battery Installed April 2013
    32x90Ah Winston cells 2p16s (48V), MPP Solar PIP5048MS 5kW Inverter/80A MPPT controller/60A charger, 1900W of Solar Panels
    modified BMS based on TI bq769x0 cell monitors.
    Homemade overall system monitoring and power management  https://github.com/simat/BatteryMonitor

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank-you so much Simon!

It means alot to us!

Tonight and tomorrow am will tell the story. It is out of control and the air resources were sent to other fires nearby. Still have DSL but the cell keeps dropping. All the power in town is out as they are trying to convince people to evacuate. I might send my SO out with the Sheriff but I will fight it. Cheers!
    Good Fortune to you Dave. 
      The nasty secret, is that owner abandoned (evacuated) structures are left to burn, if the owner stays and fights, the FD will help 99% of the time.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Mangas
    Mangas Solar Expert Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭
    We live with big wildfires too.  Long periods of dry, low humidity and windy conditions waiting on serious moisture are unsettling times. 

You're so right about owners being self sufficient and prepared as possible. Makes for some very long days (and nights) for all impacted.

Hopefully, you aren't under Type 1.

Stay safe Dave!

Ranch Off Grid System & Custom Home: 2 x pair stacked Schneider XW 5548+ Plus inverters (4), 2 x Schneider MPPT 80-600 Charge Controllers, 2 Xanbus AGS Generator Start and Air Extraction System Controllers, 64 Trojan L16 REB 6v 375 AH Flooded Cel Batteries w/Water Miser Caps, 44 x 185 Sharp Solar Panels, Cummins Onan RS20 KW Propane Water Cooled Genset, ICF Custom House Construction, all appliances, Central A/C, 2 x High Efficiency Variable Speed three ton Central A/C 220v compressors, 2 x Propane furnaces, 2 x Variable Speed Air Handlers, 2 x HD WiFi HVAC Zoned System Controllers
  • Aguarancher
    Aguarancher Solar Expert Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    Dave, hope you and the family are all safe. I’ve seen the destruction fire can do as most of my family lives in Groveland (PML) and Sonora. They all went through their own personal hell with past fires. Was always in awe with the skills displayed by the borate bombers, helicopter and the spotter plane pilots who put their lives at risk for the safety of others. Please give us an update when possible. Gary
  • Dave Angelini
    Thanks Guys! The ISP just came up and so I have to get some updates out. These fires are just life and our place has burned twice already in the last decade. It is built to survive as Mike said, as long as someone stays to spray it down before, and go inside during, and then spray the spot fires after it goes by. The problem for the 50 homes that have burned is they ran out of gasoline, got too hot inside, and then left.

Among the heroes, I think, are the Dozer crews, they work 24 hours and at night when the air attack is on the ground they go down some really steep terrain, in the smoke, cutting and back burning.

My wife baked coffee cake for the 4 engines at the bottom of our road, they know we have water for their tanker, and they can come in the garage to get out of the smoke and sleep on cots. This will probably happen tonight. The red circle is us Simon, Mangas & Aguarancher.angas, 

Now 80,000 acres and 13 % contained. The other pix is a house that also survived. 

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, hang in Dave, sad to say there isn't much showing on the Sat weather images for a break in weather down your way. 

we had a little blow that day

pushed the fire closer to us, looking across our lake

We were blessed overnight with some heavy deluges and next morning and afternoon  softer steady rains....  the Rain source is a stagnant low pressure that was sitting just off BC's Vancouver Island for > 3 weeks and it also gave us some of the hottest weather in BC for 40 years+.  It has now gone through and into Alberta.

went to next lake for a different perspective, to see just how bog and close it was...

There are > 37,000 Evacuated people in the province so far, hopefully this little bonus will slow down some of the blazes, 2 local fires are more than 125,000 Ha (285,000 acres) each and people have been evacuated from 6 small communities, 3 large villages and 2 cities, let alone the hundreds of ranchers and farmers that we know nothing about other than personal messages passed around each area...

We are at the lake and have been in a relatively safe area,  only 2 fires ~ 5,000 ha each ( ~12,000 acres) and about 12 miles away,  yet were served an ALERT Notice for potential Evacuation because of a high wind forecast... and DID it COME!  S 25 km/h  Gusts  to  55 Km/h , it blew up like a bomb!   The worst is the waiting through the night, waiting for a knock on the door and a serious individual telling us to get out...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Dave Angelini
    The Engineers at Schneider Burnaby were telling us about your neck of the woods Westbranch. Property near you!

They don't tell us to evacuate, as they know we won't leave and did not the last two times. They don't want that, unofficially.
    The road (all feeders) out to the highway has been evacuated now for a week along with Utility power.

A Cal-fire Helios stopped up above us and parked for the night. We knew each other from back on the sailboats and he was telling me the Air attack is about 80K$ a pop and helios are 30K per run not counting the retardant.
    The news from him was that there is a 747-400 that is for sale now that will drop a 1.5 mile fire block 600 feet wide. It is all atomized and so is will not hurt people or structures. It fills in 20 minutes with 20K Gals of water or retardant.

I am suppose to load new firmware for the Bridge project but I will wait this out as I have a list of homes to take care of for power.
    I installed 3 nice propane generators this week (2 Kohlers and a Honda7000i) The Honda is so quiet... Paid my bills for quite some time :)
    Cheers!