Grundfos Versus Lorentz

Farmerboyz1721
Farmerboyz1721 Registered Users Posts: 39 ✭✭
Pro's and Con's of Grundfos and Lorentz well pumps.

(Well specs: 105' Static water level, 45' drawdown at 15 GPM Well report attached) 

My well is complete and now I'm designing my solar pump. (I'm completely off grid).

I have been researching Grundfos and Lorentz pumps what are the pro's and con's??

Specifically, I have been looking at the Grundfos 11 SQF-2 and Lorentz PS2-1800. 

Comments

• tmarch
    tmarch Solar Expert Posts: 143 ✭✭

Each has some things that are better than the other, this is what I've found.

Lorentz is a modular pump, meaning if the motor goes bad it alone can be replaced, same with the pump end or control box.

Grundfos is a enclosed unit and I've heard for years they are going to start a repair service, nothing yet, meaning if the motor or pump end is bad you will need to replace both.

Grundfos runs off 3 wire cable (+ - and ground), Lorentz requires more expensive 4 wire pump cable.

Grundfos is less expensive, unless you add their control box which is needed for a float switch and several other functions.  That would make them close in price.

Grundfos is smaller diameter so it will fit a smaller hole.

Grundfos also has a built in "low water probe" that prevents the pump from running dry whereas Lorentz has a separate unit.

They are comparable depending upon the added features you need.  I probably install 10 Grundfos pumps for each Lorentz simply because in my business the pumps are most often not on a float, just sized for the output of the well.

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Grundfos because they build them down in the central valley of California. I can get them easily. I agree with the previous!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Grundfos is a Danish company operating globally, in the HVAC industry they are renowned for reliability so their reputation probably translates to well pumps, their quality generally surpasses what the industry norm was for many years prior, the multi piece spring coupled.....well garbage, for lack of a better word to describe  them, pumps, used in recirculation and heating coils. They are generally well made, compact, reliable, efficient and not generally the cheapest, but quality usually comes at a premium, labor costs in replacement of inferior pumps, usually exceeds the initial cost of installation of quality in the first place. My well pump is a Grundfos, been in the hole for  5 years, can't remember the model but it is a 1Hp multi stage, used it irrigate, and supply domestic water no regrets spending a little more for peace of mind.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never seen any of their HVAC in the US.
    They did start out with water pumping. They employ US workers in Fresno CA and have a nice tour and display at the Airport.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017 #6
    Dave Angelini said:
    I have never seen any of their HVAC in the US.
    They did start out with water pumping. They employ US workers in Fresno CA and have a nice tour and display at the Airport.
    They are probably more common in HVAC  than you may think, started becoming popular about 15 years ago.

http://www.grundfos.com/market-areas/buildings/hvac-oem.html
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use grundfos circ pumps for my hydronic infloor heat. They seem well made and I've had no trouble in the 3-4 years they've been in use. Have also had them in the past in larger commercial boiler systems with no problems.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Mangas
    Mangas Solar Expert Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017 #8
    Grundfos.
    Ranch Off Grid System & Custom Home: 2 x pair stacked Schneider XW 5548+ Plus inverters (4), 2 x Schneider MPPT 80-600 Charge Controllers, 2 Xanbus AGS Generator Start and Air Extraction System Controllers, 64 Trojan L16 REB 6v 375 AH Flooded Cel Batteries w/Water Miser Caps, 44 x 185 Sharp Solar Panels, Cummins Onan RS20 KW Propane Water Cooled Genset, ICF Custom House Construction, all appliances, Central A/C, 2 x High Efficiency Variable Speed three ton Central A/C 220v compressors, 2 x Propane furnaces, 2 x Variable Speed Air Handlers, 2 x HD WiFi HVAC Zoned System Controllers
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017 #9
    We had a small 1/6Hp(?) Grundfoss circ. pump on our old domestic HW loop for ~15 years 
    .New Hi Efficiency tank now but still have Circ. pump in and another 3 years so far..... quiet and serviceable!

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Lumisol
    Lumisol Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭✭
    I have used Grundfos pumps for large hydroponic garden set-ups and never had any complaints.