Air Conditioner Wind / Solar PV charge controler help

KNLsolar
KNLsolar Registered Users Posts: 18 ✭✭
I currently have a 300w PV set up hooked up to a 200AH battery bank. I am installing a 300w wind generator above my outside ac compressor to catch the wind and charge my battery's at night when the PV system is not. Can I get a "wind only" charge controller and run it to the same battery bank as my PV controller at the same time? Also, will a dump load be required since the wind will always be at a fairly consistent speed?

Comments

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think something like a Morningstar Tristar 45 might work. You should figure on a dump load or some other means of loading or stopping the turbine when the batteries are full and the wind is blowing.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • mvas
    mvas Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017 #3
    Adding a Wind Turbine to an Electric Fan above the A/C condenser unit, is like adding a generator to motor.
    This idea will not generate any NET electricity.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Do you have any idea how much power the driven turbine will collect?

I.e., a 200 watt exhaust fan, how many Watts will you recover?

- Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mvas
    mvas Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    If 15 MPH winds are perfectly ducted and harvested by a 2' diameter Wind Turbine, then it could generate 22 Watts.
    "Free Energy" for you, if it is your neighbor's A/C unit.
  • Lumisol
    Lumisol Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭✭
    You should be able to add a wind charge controller to the bank. You should read the manual for the turbine to see if it needs a dump load or if it will auto brake if the batteries are full.