Solar Array size for a minisplit.

GermanDeSoto
GermanDeSoto Registered Users Posts: 2
If I have a 12500BTU minisplit 220 V on a separate circuit what size array do I need?

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I have a 12500BTU minisplit 220 V on a separate circuit what size array do I need?

What do you want to do?

Do you want to take it off your grid electric? and create and off grid system for it? That involves solar panels, charge controllers, batteries, inverter. No chance in ever recouping your investment.

Do you want to off set the electric by back feeding the grid? This involves some solar panels and a different type of inverter. Likely more cost effective, but also likely not to off set the costs, unless there is a very high cost for electric and greater costs during the day.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As well as needing to know if off-grid or grid tied, we would need to know:
    - location, for solar insolation
    - starting and running current for the unit
    - if off-grid, how many days autonomy before running the generator.
    - expected 24hr load (depends on insulation, etc.)
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • GermanDeSoto
    GermanDeSoto Registered Users Posts: 2
    Will keep connected to the grid, so I would not need batteries or controllers, I´m assuming right? Just the solar panels?
  • Photowhit
    Sounds like you are interesting in a grid tied system, This will be in operation, with or without the air conditioner.

First place to start would be to ask your electric company if it does net metering and ask them what is required. Then you would want to determine how much energy you want to push back into the grid. You can shoot to offset your entire energy bill, or a smaller amount such as the energy used by the air conditioner. They will be independent of each other.

Before checking with your power company, I would check to see if you have a good location for solar, a clear south facing roof or field with no obstructions, such as trees, power poles, no shading what so ever to the south (assuming you are in the northern hemisphere.

There is a mini-split that uses direct solar energy to offset some of the energy use with out doing a full net metering system. I can hunt for that for you.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Photowhit
    Will keep connected to the grid, so I would not need batteries or controllers, I´m assuming right? Just the solar panels?

You would need an inverter, either micro inverters that mount to the back of the panels or a single central inverter, in order to take the DC electric the solar panels produce and convert it to AC electric and sync it to in coming electric.