Commissioning Charge

ColoradoSolar
ColoradoSolar Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭
I am installing a new solar system and I need to perform a commissioning charge on the new batteries (when I get them). I am wondering the best way to do that if I don't have grid power available.

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Use solar?

Not sure what you are asking, do you not have a solar array yet? If you do, just charge from the array until fully charged then equalize and check SG.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or start with a generator and finish with a few panels installed temporarily? I would expect new batteries to be near fully charged on arrival, so shouldn't take much current for commissioning.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭✭
    If you mean that you want to charge individual batteries before they are installed in a series string: That is a good idea for many types of batteries.

Follow the manufacturer's recommendations for any break in needed because it will vary depending upon what batteries you have.

I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.