System suggestions

Options
stmar
stmar Solar Expert Posts: 370 ✭✭✭
A friend of mine is looking at a remote property and asked me about an off grid system. My system is grid tied so I thought I would pick some brains and get some ideas. It has been a while since I have looked at inverters so I know they have advanced, I am running a 15 year plus Xantrex/Trace. Just throw some ideas my way on inverters, solar panels, controllers, batteries, etc. His system will not be elaborate, he is going propane on major appliances since he works in that field. His load will be lights, refrigeration, washer, well pump, so nothing extraordinary. Right now he is just trying to get a ballpark cost to see what he wants to do. It will be 24 volt and I would suggest AGM battery bank, I have had good luck with Lifeline. If he goes forward with it I will direct him to the store on this site since he is in southern Colorado. Thanks and all input is appreciated.

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i would AVOID AGM for a new install, and learn/destroy cheap batteries instead.
      Well pump screams 48V system to manage the starting surge  (and 8 cheap golf cart batteries might be just the ticket)
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If he can use a generator to pump water to gravity or pressure tank storage, and use propane for refrgeration, the system will be a lot smaller. Also, if this is an occasional/weekend sort of use it can make a difference.

For off grid we start with loads. There is a lot to be said for starting with a small system to learn about system maintenance and also about what you really need versus the things you can live without or can find other ways of doing. For example, I went a few years on a couple of golf cart batteries and a 300w inverter. I like toast in the morning though, so I made it on a camp stove with a wire rack.

Now I have a bigger system so I can use a real toaster unless there's a run of bad weather. I still have the rack though so I still get my toast one way or another.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017 #4
    Options
    I realize that I am in the minority on site, but I don't think that destroying a persons first battery bank is automatic.

Education about the care and feeding of batteries solves that problem quickly. I make it my job to drive home the importance of proper treatment to every customer. Making the owner/user painfully aware of the expense and hassle really gets their attention - and it works. I invite every customer to call me anytime to discuss what they are seeing. We have averted battery slaughter several times with simple phone calls/email. Reviewing battery bank voltage data logs is a great way to start.

It really isn't a complicated subject, and folks who choose to deploy a battery bank simply need to be educated. Not much different than don't hold your engine to red line RPM all of the time, change your oil as appropriate, check your tire inflation, etc.

Even simple 12v/24v battery banks can use one of these for $75.00. They are configurable and can give you ammo for any warranty claims. Most of my customers who use these, set them up for a voltage reading about every 3-4 hours, unless they focusing on narrow window of time. It is not intended as a precision measuring device, but it certainly does provide a sanity check.

https://www.amazon.com/Lascar-EL-USB-3-Voltage-Data-Logger/dp/B003DS0BS2/ref=pd_bxgy_328_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=PNZMG09ZX8YS2ZZ61YJ2

Marc
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I never have thought that either Marc.  I do see how difficult it can be that first winter when you do not have a wingman checking your six!   You do have to take the time and to many, they just do not have the time!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• stmar
    stmar Solar Expert Posts: 370 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I found some examples at the forum host's store that look fairly complete and should give him a starting point. He was talking about pumping water into a holding tank using a gas/lp pump and distributing via dc pumps. My first battery bank was destroyed by lightening, went to AGM and never looked back. I use mine as a UPS system so can't speak to off-grid battery needs and the desirability of flooded or AGM.