Tips for DIY solar panel installations. How to reduce the cost of installation

rollandelliott
rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭
So it's taken me quite a bit of time to be knowledgeable on how to install solar.
I read a book, watched Solar PV installation training videos, read this web site a lot.
The cost of solar is more affordable than it's ever been, and I think more people should be taking advatage of it.

The biggest problem? IMHO is the cost of professional installation. A GT solar PV system might cost around $2/watt in materials, the installation costs 150% to 200% of the material costs, making it unaffordable for many.

The hardest thing to learn for most DIY people is the electrical aspect. Grid Tie Inverter sizing and optimum array string size and layout is something that I've found very little information on the internet or even in books.

The actual physical installation of the panels can be learned pretty easily by DIY people.

So here is my tip for those that want to DIY.
1. Hire an electrician to do the electrical work and you can do the physical mounting of the panels.
2. Use Microinverters instead of grid tie inverters. Most electricians do not have training in DC systems so by using an AC system it will be easier to find an electrician who can do the work for you. There price has come down a bit and though they are more expensive than grid tie inverters you dont' have to worry about buying a huge system, you can start out small and expand latter.
3. Ask questions first and layout a system on paper before buying anything!

If any one has anyother tips please feel free to contribute.

Comments

• ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Re: Tips for DIY solar panel installations. How to reduce the cost of installation
    So it's taken me quite a bit of time to be knowledgeable on how to install solar.
    I read a book, watched Solar PV installation training videos, read this web site a lot.
    The cost of solar is more affordable than it's ever been, and I think more people should be taking advatage of it.

The biggest problem? IMHO is the cost of professional installation. A GT solar PV system might cost around $2/watt in materials, the installation costs 150% to 200% of the material costs, making it unaffordable for many.

The hardest thing to learn for most DIY people is the electrical aspect. Grid Tie Inverter sizing and optimum array string size and layout is something that I've found very little information on the internet or even in books.

The actual physical installation of the panels can be learned pretty easily by DIY people.

So here is my tip for those that want to DIY.
    1. Hire an electrician to do the electrical work and you can do the physical mounting of the panels.
    2. Use Microinverters instead of grid tie inverters. Most electricians do not have training in DC systems so by using an AC system it will be easier to find an electrician who can do the work for you. There price has come down a bit and though they are more expensive than grid tie inverters you dont' have to worry about buying a huge system, you can start out small and expand latter.
    3. Ask questions first and layout a system on paper before buying anything!

If any one has any other tips please feel free to contribute.
    Be advised that many AHJ's will not pay rebates on DIY installations and most (all?) require that a licensed electrician (some require a master) perform the interconnection with the grid. Do your homework.
  • rollandelliott
    Re: Tips for DIY solar panel installations. How to reduce the cost of installation

Yep Charlotte, NC, requires you take an electrical exam to pull an electrical permit. Some cities don't even let you do your own electrical work. The Federal Government rebate in the USA is fine with DIY I believe as long as you pull the right permits and get it inspected/approved by the local Authority Having Jurisdiction.
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Yep Charlotte, NC, requires you take an electrical exam to pull an electrical permit. Some cities don't even let you do your own electrical work. The Federal Government rebate in the USA is fine with DIY I believe as long as you pull the right permits and get it inspected/approved by the local Authority Having Jurisdiction.
    That's not really a rebate, it's a tax credit, but yes, the Feds don't care. To qualify for local rebates, however, many AHJ's require that the entire system (not just the AC interconnection) be installed by a registered contractor, frequently with NABCEP credentials. Additionally some (Austin in particular) require an inspection of the premises before they will approve the project; if your house has leaky HVAC ductwork, or bad weatherstripping, or insufficient insulation, or bad azimuth alignment, or shading beyond some threshold... etc., they won't sign off on it. They require that you do due diligence on conservation methods first, and they want to make sure any system you install will perform up to their standards. Both are good ideas.
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭

My AHJ requires both electrical and structural inspections in the permit, the both must have a engineers stamp on the drawings submitted to pull the permit. This creates a tough situation for DIYers.
  • rollandelliott
    solar_dave wrote: »
    My AHJ requires both electrical and structural inspections in the permit, the both must have a engineers stamp on the drawings submitted to pull the permit. This creates a tough situation for DIYers.

Yeah the amount of paperwork needed to get done is enough to scare off a lot of people!!! It's a little ridiculous. In Orlando my sister has to get her systems PV panels approved by FESC and all they do is review the panel makers specs and rubber stamp it for the price of $300. then the system has to be approved for $250. This is for a rebate, other wise these extra approval steps are not necessary.

Anyways there are companies like schletter that provide stamped engineering drawings, talk with your local building permit people to see what you can get away with as it varies a LOT.
  • snguyen4
    snguyen4 Registered Users Posts: 7
    Yeah the amount of paperwork needed to get done is enough to scare off a lot of people!!! It's a little ridiculous. In Orlando my sister has to get her systems PV panels approved by FESC and all they do is review the panel makers specs and rubber stamp it for the price of $300. then the system has to be approved for $250. This is for a rebate, other wise these extra approval steps are not necessary.

Anyways there are companies like schletter that provide stamped engineering drawings, talk with your local building permit people to see what you can get away with as it varies a LOT.

I'm in Garden Grove CA and just got my install approved and signed off yesterday. I did everything myself but I was require to get a structural engineering report because my panels (42 JR225) are on the second story tile roof. Other then that everything was DIY....
  • solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭

As a installer myself, I agree with you. There are just plenty of regulations, restrictions, training, licensing, permitting, insuring, promotion, overhead, tooling, taxes, etc etc that has to get paid for in order for me to build you a solar system. You are way ahead doing it yourself - as long as you put your time in learning how to do it.
  • Simon
    Simon Registered Users Posts: 1
    This is precisely the reason I'm developing a DIY kit that actually is less than 4 lbs. / sq. ft so requires no structural engineering.  No penetration through the roof, which means also no racking or rails.  And it can attach to any residential rooftop.  If you guys have any feedback for a product like this, please let me know.  
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to present a more forgiving situation, My electric company only cared about the inverter and it's certificate. They could care less about anything on the other side of it! structure, wiring. I guess they figure the inverter will handle problems and present them with usable synced current. Info is from about 4 years back. They didn't offer roll over from month to month, excess generation was paid at their lowest rate per Kwh (.022) and 'net' did not apply toward their monthly $25 line fee (now $32.50).I already had the battery and a serviceable inverter so went off grid.

So my tip is, check with the people who will inspect and connect with and find out all the details.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.