Auto Gen Start

Options
AlanJ
AlanJ Registered Users Posts: 1
Inside my scientific mobile lab, I have 10 AGM 12V batteries hooked in series to a Vanner ITC12-3200 pure sine wave inverter.  The inverter has a option block for an auto gen start/stop feature.  I would like to use this feature on the Vanner inverter to automatically start/stop a portable Yamaha EF4500iSE for shore power to keep the batteries charged.  Any suggestions?  

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    10 AGM batteries in parallel is not a good idea, and I would not recommend using a unattended (autostart) generator with them.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    While I would take a different approach, since already have a system in place:
    Depending on your AGM battery brand/size, the load, charge rate and your expected battery life: You will want to set your auto gen start to a value between 11v and 12.2v.

Large multi-parallel battery banks with auto generator start are commonplace in the RV/Marine world with big storage capacity like 24KWH to 48KWH battery banks. While certainly not optimum, I typically see a 5-8 year lifespan on theses systems - with 7-9 years being more common in colder climates.

What are the specifics of your batteries, the typical load profile and your intended charge rate?

I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • ddaniels68
    ddaniels68 Registered Users Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello,

I am brand new to this forum and apologize in advance if I'm duplicating anything but have been searching and reading for awhile. I have an off-grid project and have recently purchase a Champion 75537i inverter/generator to be used as a backup when my solar array is not getting any lovin from the sun. I wanted to see if anyone has used the Magnum AGS (standalone model) to start this generator as it does have electric start as well as wireless key fob start with automatic choke. I also have a Tycon Power TP-DIN-WEB that has 4 relays but was mainly going to use it for temp and voltage state. I have looked at the Champion electrical schematic (attached) and looks like I can tap into the "wireless receiver" module to have it start via the AGS.

Again, thank you in advance for any information as electrical and relays are not my strong point.
    Dallas
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    These generators are not designed for auto start. Hacking the wireless remote circuit MAY be possible but will likely void warranty.

Personally I'm not a fan of AGS even on generators designed to support it. Too many things to go sideways. As you say electrical and relays are not your strong point I highly recommend you not try to do this.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • arby
    arby Solar Expert Posts: 107 ✭✭
    Options
    It would seem to me that any genny with electric start and remote capabilities can start from a signal.
    3310 watts panels, Classic 200 controller, 8 Surette S530's, Xantrex 5548 inverter, Honda EX5500 backup Genny.
  • BoFuller
    BoFuller Solar Expert Posts: 187 ✭✭✭
    Options
    My Outback system use to auto start my Generac generator when the batteries got low, but a couple weeks ago it quit. I tested the terminals on the Outback, and when the Mate tells it to start, it clicks, and I get a 12 volt reading, but nothing happens at the generator. I have to walk out and press the Manual button to start it. Any ideas of how to get it on auto again?
    12 Kyocera 235 panels, 3 Gyll LiFePO4 batteries (previously 16 Trojan L16 RE-B batteries), Outback 3600W 48V system, Generac 11K propane backup generator, NW AZ, off grid, 6,000 ft (system installed in April 2015)

• Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What I do/did is call myself Otto when the generator needs to run.  Otto start.
  • BoFuller
    BoFuller Solar Expert Posts: 187 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Ralph Day said:
    What I do/did is call myself Otto when the generator needs to run.  Otto start.
    That works okay when I'm there, but is rather difficult when I'm away for a week. :)
    12 Kyocera 235 panels, 3 Gyll LiFePO4 batteries (previously 16 Trojan L16 RE-B batteries), Outback 3600W 48V system, Generac 11K propane backup generator, NW AZ, off grid, 6,000 ft (system installed in April 2015)