how to test 48v AC coil on a wind turbine

ldiorio
ldiorio Solar Expert Posts: 47 ✭✭
edited December 2016 in Wind Power Generation #1
have a thermodyne 48ac 3 phase turbine--i had to take it apart to repl the rotor shaft bec the nut came loose ---i assebled it with the new rotor but not getting anyvoltage  from it 

how do i test the coil to see if that is the problem
--i did use a continuity meter on the 3 output wires and get continuity on all 3--testing 2 at a time 

does continuity between the output wires mean that the coil is bad or is tht normal

thanks 
lou

i only get .5 to .8 volts when i test the leads

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you use an insulation meter. Only way I know this is having purchased one for resale...lol. NOT fishing. I think I'll put it on eBay. When I went to buy a Fluke clamp meter from a guy who was doing maintenance on big turbines. He said he'd throw in the insulation meter if I'd buy the Multimeter! All Fluke's all in new shape. he got a new meter each year from company and just used his old ones! I asked what it was used for and I believe he told me it was for testing coils in turbines. Might ask the company about testing points and expected readings. If you are in Missouri I would be glad to let you borrow one. I'm in central, but have plans for trips to KC and St. Louis and a pool tourney north of Marshal.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • ldiorio
    ldiorio Solar Expert Posts: 47 ✭✭
    tks for the info--going to take the tower down today and make sure its not the wiring
  • mvas
    mvas Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017 #4
    ldiorio said:
    have a thermodyne 48ac 3 phase turbine--i had to take it apart to repl the rotor shaft bec the nut came loose ---i assebled it with the new rotor but not getting anyvoltage  from it 

how do i test the coil to see if that is the problem
    --i did use a continuity meter on the 3 output wires and get continuity on all 3--testing 2 at a time 

does continuity between the output wires mean that the coil is bad or is tht normal

thanks 
    lou

i only get .5 to .8 volts when i test the leads

Are any of the coil wires shorted to the frame? 
    Should be infinite ohms from any phase lead to the metal case.
    You can test this with a normal volt-ohm meter on highest ohms setting (keep your fingers off the test leads)

You said, "I only get 0.5 to 0.8 volts when I test the leads".
    I interpret that as meaning: "when the rotor is spinning at a normal speed the generator produces only 0.5 to 0.8 volts between any to output wires".  When you get it down from the tower, try spinning rotor with a Cordless Drill then measure volts and amps between all three phases.

3 quick tests ...
    Connect  L1 to L2 - does that cause cogging / loading when spinning the rotor ?
    Connect  L2 to L3 - does that cause cogging / loading when spinning the rotor ?
    Connect  L3 to L1 - does that cause cogging / loading when spinning the rotor ?