Odd XW AGS problem

2»

Comments

• twistedtree
    twistedtree Solar Expert Posts: 135 ✭✭✭
    mike95490 said:
    use the method to load the file on a USB drivce, and load it from there,   Using web interface may not work, I've never tried it, always from the USB on the combox

Thanks, but at this point I think the problem is that the new firmware only works on the Conext AGS, and not the older XW-AGS.  In the file name there is "856-1060-01" which is the product code.  Note the "-01".  My older AGS reports itself simply as "856-1060", and the older firmware files that I have are names accordingly.  When I upload one of them, the Combox recognizes it and will allow me to update the AGS with it, though I didn't.

I'm currently running 2.06 BIN 12.  Does anyone know where I can get the latest - assuming it's newer than what I already have - for an XW-AGS?  Or does anyone know if Schneider still supports the XW-AGS.

Very frustrating.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Why be frustrated? Call support!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• twistedtree
    Why be frustrated? Call support!
    You're right, and I did via email.  Hopefully they are open next week.  Worst case I'll just leave the exercise function disabled.  It's not an issue over the winter because there is typically a gen run every few weeks.  But I like to have it over the summer when the gen otherwise wouldn't run at all.
  • Dave Angelini
    I guess I never will understand why people need to do what you are doing :) You are telling me that there are people at this home who can't read the battery voltage and push a button to auto start a generator? I keep going back to the home fires I have seen from generators running unattended.

You do know that your chance of support helping you is best with a telephone call during So Cal business hours right?
    An e-mail without a case number is hit or miss. Good Luck

• twistedtree
    I guess I never will understand why people need to do what you are doing :) You are telling me that there are people at this home who can't read the battery voltage and push a button to auto start a generator? I keep going back to the home fires I have seen from generators running unattended.

You do know that your chance of support helping you is best with a telephone call during So Cal business hours right?
    An e-mail without a case number is hit or miss. Good Luck
    Well, when nobody is home then no, they can't push the start button.  Different situations, different requirements, and different risks.

As for contacting Schneider, this will be my fist time since they bought out the product line.  I guess that's good, right?  The system has actually worked great since installation and the initial updates, but that was back in 2008.  You suggest calling during PST business hours, but according to the web site they are in Illinois.  Not so?  It's such bad form when companies offer email contact, but ignore it.  Yet so many do.  I'll probably give them a ring tomorrow.  Today was arguably the first business day since I contacted them.
  • Dave Angelini
    I forgot you were back east. They will only ignore your e-mail until you get a case number. It is life in the big city

If you can't afford to make a call many big companies do not get you a case # and why should they waste time on e-mail. I certainly don't until you are a client or have bought something. They are very good with me at Schneider even when they do not know who I am.
    Good Luck!

• Horsefly
    Horsefly Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭✭✭
    I contacted Schneider via their web site, to ask about what turned out to be an error in one of there data sheets.  My question found its way to Jimmy Fernandez, who I think is one of their main engineers. No calls made, and I got great info.

Steve

Off-grid cabin: 6 x Canadian Solar CSK-280M PV panels, Schneider XW-MPPT60-150 Charge Controller, Schneider CSW4024 Inverter/Charger, Schneider SCP, 8S (25.6V), 230Ah Eve LiFePO4 battery in a custom insulated and heated case.
  • Dave Angelini
    You were lucky as many do not get though without calling. This is based on hearing this story many times as was the case here long before you showed up on this forum. Setting up a case number is the way to reliably contact Schneider Electric Solar. 

• Horsefly
    Horsefly Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭✭✭
    I should have mentioned - I got a case number assigned by posting the question on their website.
    Off-grid cabin: 6 x Canadian Solar CSK-280M PV panels, Schneider XW-MPPT60-150 Charge Controller, Schneider CSW4024 Inverter/Charger, Schneider SCP, 8S (25.6V), 230Ah Eve LiFePO4 battery in a custom insulated and heated case.
  • twistedtree
    I spoke with Schneider today.  To get the FW update to load you need to change the file name to match the older rev model number of the AGS, so "857-1060....." as opposed to "857-1060-01....".  With that change the Combox recognizes the file as an update for the AGS, and the update worked.

I also asked Schneider about the specific problem that I encountered, and they confirmed that it was a firmware issues and has been fixed.  It will be another day or two before I can test and confirm, but I'm feeling pretty optimistic.

As a side note, the support was good, as others have mentioned.  This was a very pleasant surprise since past reports (several years ago) were that support was poor.  It's rare that a company gets bought and gets better as a result.  Usually it's the kiss of death, but Schneider seems to have done a good job carrying on.  Granted, improving on Xantrex was a low bar, but they seem to have done very well.
  • Dave Angelini
    edited December 2016 #42
    Good that you found what you wanted. In the past people would try to e-mail without a case # and get frustrated. Because of intercountry costs for phone calls many just gave up and vented here. I have helped people from the 3rd world get a case number and then they were able to solve their problem with e-mail. Probably the biggest problem with their support is on a grid-tie battery based system. They are not easy to set-up for pros and people who buy gear used do not have proof of purchase or the installer has abandoned the owner.

I don't agree with the bar being low. Since Schneider took over you have the first battery based high voltage mppt charge controller,
    the conext combox, a decent battery monitor that is in the network, the conext bridge for new battery technology, an inexpensive SW inverter for the 3rd world or cabins, software to control multi 3 phase clusters of XW's for shipping container power systems, and the best thing being a very large corporation that will be there for warranty and support.
    Some said the similar when Xantrex bought Trace....

• twistedtree
    When I sent in my initial support request via email, I got back an automated reply with a case number.  So one was assigned.  I just think that if they only want support inquiries via phone, then only post a phone number.  If you're not going to reply to email support requests, then don't advertise a support email address.

I may not have been clear with my "low bar" comment.  Xantrex had some real problem, so it wouldn't take much to be better than them.  And I agree that Schneider has done a good job carrying on and improving the product line.  I'm impressed.
  • twistedtree
    Problem solved.  It's been running for two days now with auto exercise re-enabled, and there have been no phantom start attempts.  The generator did start correctly on a low voltage event and ran through its normal charge cycle.  So everything appears to be working correctly now.  It was definitely a firmware bug, fixed somewhere between the rev I was running and the current 3.01 version.