Charging a battery bank

H_G
H_G Registered Users Posts: 16 ✭✭
I have four 12 volt group 31 batteries hooked up in parallel and already own a Schumacher 2-10-50 amp 120 volt battery charger. Will this charger charge all four batteries if set on 10 or 50 amp even if it takes a long time? In theory the charger's output would split between batteries, right. This is not to be done constantly but I'm thinking ahead for a cloudy day during an emergency, so the charger would run off a generator. Thanks ahead o time

Comments

• Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭✭
    With some baby sitting, a conventional charger can be used on certain batteries, others definitely not.

By the way, the 50 amp is boost setting for starting a car. They deliver the high current by forcing the voltage way up - beyond safe limits. Never use it charge any battery for more than a few seconds.

What batteries are you using?

I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • H_G
    Flooded cell and right now I'm looking at a bigger charger on Amazon that has a 40 amp continuous setting as I just looked at my charger and in fact the 50 amp setting is not constant
  • H_G
    Will a 1200 watt generator run this bigger charger set on 40 amp? 1200/1800 peak
  • Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016 #5
    That would depend upon the charger and the generator type. If the charger is power factor corrected, then yes.
    Cheaper chargers can trip a generator on overload due to the nature of the switching power supplies that they use.

For example, I easily run my 60 amp Xantrex charger powered by my Honda eu2000i generator which us rated at 1600 watts continuous output.

For more information on power factor and why it matters: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_factor
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • jonr
    jonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭
    > Will a 1200 watt generator run this bigger charger set on 40 amp? 1200/1800 peak

Mostly likely yes - because it's a small charger.

I am available for custom hardware/firmware development

• oil pan 4
    oil pan 4 Solar Expert Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    50 amps on those chargers is the "starting boost".
    It will turn on for 5 to 10 seconds then off for around 30 seconds.
    Don't use a cheap battery charger. 
    A cheap 40 amp battery charger is going to put out more like 20 or 30 amps during bulk charging.

A 1200 watt generator?
    It should run it even if the battery charger has a really low power factor, even if the battery charger did make 40 amps.

Solar hybrid gasoline generator, 7kw gas, 180 watts of solar, Morningstar 15 amp MPPT, group 31 AGM, 900 watt kisae inverter.

Solar roof top GMC suburban, a normal 3/4 ton suburban with 180 watts of panels on the roof and 10 amp genasun MPPT, 2000w samlex pure sine wave inverter, 12v gast and ARB air compressors.

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Just to be clear--That is 40 amps @ 12 volts. Or it would be 20 amps @ 24 volts, and 10 amps @ 48 volts.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • H_G
    Thanks guys.