Satellite dish usage for off grid system

pkeith
pkeith Registered Users Posts: 11 ✭✭
Hello everyone,

I am getting ready to install a 1.7 kW system that I order from Northern AZ Wind and Sun.  I think this is more than sufficient for my needs.

Because I am somewhat out in the middle of no where, satellite is my only option for internet access.   However, after 3 hours on the phone and internet, I cannot seem to get any straight answers on some technical questions from prospective satellite service providers.  

My questions are:
1) What is the typical energy consumption of a satellite set up?  From what I can determine, it is about 30 to 40 watts/hr.  

2) Does this equipment have to be left on ALL THE TIME? (consequently sucking down juice) Some tell me yes, others say no.  Does anyone in the community have any experience with this, meaning turning the satellite equipment on and off in order to save energy consumption? Does that cause an issues.  

Cheers,
Patrick

Comments

• jonr
    jonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not aware of any reason that it has to be on all the time.

I am available for custom hardware/firmware development

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    From; what I have read--I would guess 25-50 Watt load while the receiver and router are on is not unusual (for a typical AC fed system).

For some folks, there has been an issue where the satellite receiver loses its "authorization" if the system is turned off overnight (may be issue with TV programming--Not sure about internet... However, that seems to happen (something like) every month or few months??? A phone call to the company gets the receiver re-authorized.

http://forum.solar-electric.com/discussion/16490/satellite-receiver-power-usage

Probably depends a lot on your specific satellite provider.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • pkeith
    Hello Bill,

Thank you for that link on the other discussion.  That was helpful.  

What I am told is that if I turn it off it will loose the signal to the satellite, or course, and this will be interpreted as being a problem and then will generate a repair order.  What I am also told is that if I power the modem up and down, it will eventually cause the modem to short out, which does not make any sense to me.  

It makes a whole lot of sense to turn things off when not in use being completely off grid and all.

Cheers,
    Patrick
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    What satellite provider will you be using?

Typically, the most sensitive part of the system are the LNBs and Decoders being taken out by Lightning. Even a lightning strike just in the area can damage one or the other.

I would not expect turning the system on/off should cause any electrical damage (AC power is turning On/Off 120 times per second).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the past while using Satellite TV we have always unplugged the receiver and just plugged it back in when TV time came. Not too knowledgeable on satellite internet reboots as easily, or whether the provider approves of it.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    I am on Xplornet.  At this time of the year I shut the Net off when we are not there and juice the power bar when we return...  So far I have not had any problems BUT as Bill pointed out, the TV stuff is a lot different...  I think it is because they have to access your 'Box" to reboot it, just like at home... and if the box does not answer after a certain amount of time they assume it is out of service... yes and I was told ''Oh just give us a call'' .... glad I don't have to do that as we use VOIP... alternative is a 2 mile + visit to the nearest neighbour

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • pkeith
    Hello again

Sorry I was off line for a few days.  

I appreciate the responses so far.  

My local options are Dish or Hughes Net.  Two of my closest neighbors use either one of these services.  One of them is there all the time and the others leave 6 months out of the year.  Both of them are on the grid.  

I called the local Hughes net contractor/installer and he simply said if I turn the system off it will loose the signal and he will get a repair notification. The assumption being if there is not signal there must be a problem.  I guess I am selfish in that I don't care if he gets a repair order when I am saving a huge power draw on the battery bank by turning it off. 

Patrick
  • arby
    arby Solar Expert Posts: 107 ✭✭
    I have a Bell Dish in Canada at our cottage and it draws 15 watts on or off if plugged into a live receptacle. If we turn its power off for a week or two they cau the siognal. This can be returned with a phone call or on the internet. I turn it off when not there and it can be a bit of a pain to have to through the rigamaroll every time but 15 or 20 watts constant is too much.

arby
    3310 watts panels, Classic 200 controller, 8 Surette S530's, Xantrex 5548 inverter, Honda EX5500 backup Genny.
  • arby
    arby Solar Expert Posts: 107 ✭✭
    Do you have Cell Phone reception at your place. You can use that for internet service. They have a booster which I use and my friend across the bay just tethers his cell phone to a lap top.
    3310 watts panels, Classic 200 controller, 8 Surette S530's, Xantrex 5548 inverter, Honda EX5500 backup Genny.
  • pyintheye
    pyintheye Registered Users Posts: 35 ✭✭
    We are using Xplornet in the Cariboo Mtns. The modem is on constant power for internet and phone service. The Shaw Direct receiver for TV is on a power bar, with the TV, and is turned off when not being used. The only glitch is the 20 minute or so wait for the Channel Programs to load. The receiver itself takes about 3 minutes to boot and deliver the TV signal. Best of both worlds for us, essential services and power savings.
    Midnite Panel Box for MS4448PAE, FM60- 720w, FM80- 2340w, 8 Trojan L16H AC- 48V, NH600 Turbine, DHW 2000w opp/div load.