Pump suggestion for my underground tank

rguruprasath
rguruprasath Registered Users Posts: 9 ✭✭
Hello, I need some suggestion for my underground tank pump. Basically the underground tank is not so deep, roughly of 4 foot high and ground just below the surface.

The pump job is to simply lift the water from the tank and supply to kitchen. 4 feet of depth + ~10 feet of flat surface pipe to kitchen is all the requirement. I'm looking for a minimal setup as this is for rain water storage.

Your suggestions please.

Thanks

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Are you OK with a 12 volt or 24 volt RV water pump? Cheap (some are cheap, can get expensive versions too), easy, does not use much power. Add a small pressure tank to buffer the pump? Some pumps have pressure switches built in. Several years of life between rebuilds (replacing diaphragms).

If you have AC power (Mains/Off grid inverter), AC pumps will usually last longer.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • rguruprasath
    rguruprasath Registered Users Posts: 9 ✭✭
    I'm OK with both 12V DC as well as AC powered pumps. I can see either totally under powered pumps (say dc pumps used for aquarium) or little high powered AC pumps like 0.5HP I'm looking for something in the mid range, I couldn't find one.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    edited October 2016 #4
    Shurflo would be a start for DC pumps:

https://www.solar-electric.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=shurflo

Lifting water is always a bit of an issue--Any dirt on the inlet filter, air leaks in the lift pipe makes for a pain (trying to find leaks, pump air locks, etc.). 4 ft of lift distance is not near as bad as 10-15 feet of lift.

If you can put the pump outside the tank and pipe it to the base of the tank, positive pressure feed helps a lot. But, you have to design that if there is a fitting/pipe/pump failure, the water leak does not flood the basement/wash dirt away from the base of the tank.

An in tank/submersible pump is nice--But they are much more expensive.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Mangas
    Mangas Solar Expert Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭
    Agree with Bill.

Shurflo on demand 12v pumps are very dependable.  Before I built out my off grid system years ago, I used these on demand pumps to supply the house between the storage tank and the house plumbed with ranch pipe and pvc.  Cheap and reliable soution.

If I remember right they were between 3 and 5 GPM.

Ranch Off Grid System & Custom Home: 2 x pair stacked Schneider XW 5548+ Plus inverters (4), 2 x Schneider MPPT 80-600 Charge Controllers, 2 Xanbus AGS Generator Start and Air Extraction System Controllers, 64 Trojan L16 REB 6v 375 AH Flooded Cel Batteries w/Water Miser Caps, 44 x 185 Sharp Solar Panels, Cummins Onan RS20 KW Propane Water Cooled Genset, ICF Custom House Construction, all appliances, Central A/C, 2 x High Efficiency Variable Speed three ton Central A/C 220v compressors, 2 x Propane furnaces, 2 x Variable Speed Air Handlers, 2 x HD WiFi HVAC Zoned System Controllers
  • jonr
    jonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭
    Also add a small pressure tank.   More, smoother flow, longer brush life.

I am available for custom hardware/firmware development