HELP! New to Solar and moving soon!

Options
JessicaF
JessicaF Registered Users Posts: 1
edited October 2016 in Solar Beginners Corner #1
This is all becoming very confusing to me...I am moving into a tiny house 240 sq ft. the only thing that we need to run is 4 led lights and a refrigerator that estimates 337 kWh per year so I figure that is less than 1 kWh per day. We have looked at a starter kit that has 2 - 100 watt panels that is slated to produce 25 amp hours a day for a total of 50 and/or 300 watt hours for a total of 600. I have looked at 2 12 volt batteries from Cabellas to start as I know that we need to get better more expensive ones soon but just trying to get moved in on a tight budget. Any help would be most appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Comments

• DConlyGuy
    DConlyGuy Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭
    Options
    have you already got the fridge bought? if so can you bring it back. with such a small house i think you should be looking into dc fridge's instead and 2 golf cart battery's  
    600 watts of solar panels,Epever 30 mppt , 2 PWHR12500W4FR battery's in 24 volt setup
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,443 admin
    Options
    Standard AC induction motor compressor 120 VAC refrigerators have very high starting current (over 1,000 VA is not uncommon). And if self defrosting, may draw 200-500 Watts for a period of time.

In general, a 1,200 to 1,500 Watt AC inverter is recommended for running a standard energy star refrigerator... That works out to a minimum (for flooded cell deep cycle batteries) of ~480 AH @ 12 volt or 240 AH @ 48 volt (basically, 4x 6 volt @ 220 AH golf cart batteries minimum). Note that 6 volt golf cart batteries are generally a very good starting battery (cheap, pretty rugged, flooded cell can use a hydrometer to monitor charging)--And there is a good chance you will murder your first bank or two--So golf cart batteries are a good starter set.

If you are drawing 1 kWH per day from the battery bank, 2 days of storage and 50% discharge would be:
    • 1,000 WH * 1/0.85 inverter eff * 1/12 volts * 2 days storage * 0.50 max discharge = 392 AH @ 12 volts (or 196 AH @ 24 volts)
    So--Your battery size is based on the surge of 4x golf cart batteries.

For full time off grid--It is really good to have 10% minimum rate of charge (5% to 13% typical solar range--5% for weekend/summer use, 10%+ for full time off grid):
    • 440 AH * 14.5 volts charging * 1/0.77 panel+controller deratings * 0.10 rate of charge = 829 Watt array minimum (based on battery bank capacity)
    And then based on hours of sun per day... You did not say if you will be using a genset for bad weather:
    http://www.solarelectricityhandbook.com/solar-irradiance.html

Atlanta Georgia
    Average Solar Insolation figures

Measured in kWh/m2/day onto a solar panel set at a 56° angle from vertical:
    (For best year-round performance)
    Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun

Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec

So, (guessing) Atlanta--Little genset use with 3.52 hours of sun (December average):
    • 1,000 Watt*hours per day * 1/0.52 off grid system eff * 1/3.52 hours of sun per day (Dec) = 546 Watt array "break even" December
    So--somewhere between 546 Watt to 829 Watt array (or larger)...

Note--If you can get a DC refrigerator (not propane or tri-power ammonia type)--Your surge current drops way down and you can use a 1/2 size battery bank (2 golf cart batteries) and a smaller solar array (and save the AC inverter).

Small house--No computer, cell phone, clothes washer, pressure and/or well pump, etc.? 120 VAC refrigerator typically are what drive folks from small (500-1,000 WH per day) to medium size solar power systems (nominal 3.3 kWH per day for a very efficient off grid home is a good aim point).

Power usage is a highly personal set of choices. And for a cost effective off grid solar power system, choosing very power efficient appliances (and minimizing energy usage) is usually key.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset