Plastic battery boxes are made of.

South Africa
South Africa Solar Expert Posts: 295 ✭✭✭
Hi,

I am tired of buying new clothes after carrying a 100ah battery.

Want to put them in plastic battery boxes but we seem to have a shortage lately her in South Africa (I wonder why), and if you can get, they are slowly rising in price.

So now I am contemplating getting off the shelf plastic boxes from plastic retailers just to keep the battery acid contained.

Question: The plastic used in making battery boxes, are they any different than say food grade plastic boxes?
Can I use any plastic box?

5kVA Victron Multiplus II, 5.2kW array, 14kWh DIYLifepo4 bank, all grid-tied.

Comments

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    As long as the plastic container is strong enough to handle the weight of the battery, and is waterproof, has no holes to let acid seep or leak out, any plastic box should be fine.
  • South Africa
    Thank you, Wayne from Canada.

Batteries weight 60kg each so I bought meat containers, not to carry them in, but to keep any spillage contained. Plastic is thicker than most.

Sad thought that due the batteries dimensions, I cannot get one with a lid that has strong enough plastic base - luckily batteries are kept in a computer room.
    So battery pole protectors for the moment till I can sort that problem out with better containers.

But, I saw very nice containers for 105ah batteries. One that a wife may even allow next to the TV.

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    You can find Chemical Resistance Charts for Sulfuric Acid/battery electrolyte and other liquids:

http://www.plasticsintl.com/plastics_chemical_resistence_chart.html

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • South Africa
    BB, thank you!

Made of [FONT=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif]polypropylene, safe for sulfuric acid.[/FONT]

• WaterWheel
    WaterWheel Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭✭
    Is there anything I can paint or easily line a wood battery box with to make it battery acid resistant?      I've seen numerous painted wood boxes holding batteries but I want this box to resist potential battery acid for many years.      I'm building the new wood box (plywood and solid pine).      Because of the reinforcing strips inside the box lining it with a non-flexible material would be very hard to do.

I can try flexible PVC pond liner but since it is flexible it may be less resistant to the acid and I may end up with a sticky rubbery mess.

Any other suggestions?

Conext XW6848 with PDP, SCP, 80/600 controller, 60/150 controller and Conext battery monitor

21 SW280 panels on Schletter ground mount

48v Rolls 6CS 27P

• softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016 #7
    I'm not sure but suspect that rubber roofing sheeting may be impervious. Easy to find if it works. I'll throw a chunk on my batteries....
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • WaterWheel
    I'll give it a try

Conext XW6848 with PDP, SCP, 80/600 controller, 60/150 controller and Conext battery monitor

48v Rolls 6CS 27P

• softdown
    Got the roofing rubber on some battery acid. Check in tomorrow to see if the rubber degrades.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • softdown
    Update: roofing rubber is impervious to battery acid after 14 hour soaking.
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which "rubber" are you referring to? I don't recall the name of the stuff that is typically white, sort of two ply and you use special heat guns to weld the seams together. Or are you using the Bitumen "torch down" stuff?

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    edited September 2016 #12
    I just used some of this stuff on an appartment building that had leaks around a window:

https://gcpat.com/construction/en-us/waterproofing/Bituthene-System-4000
    ​Bituthene® 4000 is a flexible, pre-formed waterproofing membrane comprised of a high performance, cross-laminated HDPE carrier film with a unique, super tacky, self-adhesive rubberized asphalt compound. Suitable for application in temperatures above 25F, Bituthene® 4000 is intended for use with System 4000 Surface Conditioner - a unique, water-based, latex surface treatment conveniently packaged in each roll of membrane.
    The stuff I used came in a ~3 foot sheet @ 200 sq ft roll. It sticks to itself very well (as in touch it together, and you cannot separate it again) and has a sticky surface that self adheres to wood/etc. very well too (there is a latex bottle of sealer you can use on concrete to make better adhesion). There are other, similar stuff, from other companies.

Not sure if this is the "same" or similar rubberized asphalt compound:

http://constructiondsl.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Résistance-Chimique-Produit-LR.pdf

But chart says that it is OK with 50% sulfuric acid (battery electrolyte levels) (95% is not OK).

You cannot use this with anything that has solvents in it (oils, certain oil/solvent based caulks, thinners, etc.).

Home Depot stock something similar (I did not use)--And I had to look around until I found a construction/lumber supply company that stocked the Grace product Bituhene.

-Bill

PS: Forget to add--Very easy to cut with a utility knife or heavy shears to any shape. Very "soft/flexible" to wrap around corners. Just keep from touching itself until you want it to bond together.
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • softdown
    edited September 2016 #13
    Which "rubber" are you referring to? I don't recall the name of the stuff that is typically white, sort of two ply and you use special heat guns to weld the seams together. Or are you using the Bitumen "torch down" stuff?

Bought a pallet of used black roofing rubber. I use glue for the seams when I install it. Some type of rubber cement as I recall.
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
     This is the other type, I think it is called TPO (thermoplastic olefin).  Comes in wide dimensions. Bet it would also make a great battery acid barrier.

http://www.gaf.com/Roofing/Commercial/Products/Single_Ply_Roofing/EverGuard_TPO_Single_Ply_Membranes

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• WaterWheel
    I soaked some flexible pond liner from the pond department at Lowes and Home Depot in acid from my battery for 2 days and it shows no signs of being hurt by the acid.       
    Having built numerous ponds with this flexible, slightly stretchy PVC pond liner over the years I know it's relatively durable and comes in different widths.      Guess I'll go with it since I've got a 10' X 12' piece already in the shop.      It can be folded at the corners allowing a 1 piece liner which can extend up the walls  about 12".

48v Rolls 6CS 27P