Good connector for outdoor forklift battery to charge controller?

softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭✭
This forklift battery does not have normal posts. It has 2/0 welding cable that terminates in forklift battery disconnects. There is a nice big chunk of lead to attach to. I have been using clamps but rust has been an issue due to outdoor location.....north side of shed.

Considering 6AWG wire for connection to charge controller. The charge controller is a 24 volt 40 amp Renogy MPPT with ~800 watts of PV power feeding it. Estimate due to 600 watts pointed to the east. 360 watts pointed to the south. Perhaps we shall gain an insight as to how this MPPT charge controller deals with this configuration.

This Renogy charge controller is fairly highly regarded given the affordable price. I must say that the solar connections are awful. They just supply 1/4" bolts that tighten against the bottom plates. Truly awful. I've seen better connectors on really cheap Chinese crap. It will break the wires pretty quickly if the user fails to supply their own lugs.

Still with me? I am considering adding 600 watts of panels pointed to the west. Roof slope is 1:12...not quite flat. I have about 40 used BP Solar panels at my disposal....
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• Johann
    Johann Solar Expert Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    The big round chunk of lead where the cable is welded/soldered on to, you could drill and tap for an bolt to be used for your new wires.
    Just worry about corrosion, use Vaseline to coat what ever you attach to it, even grease will work.Use it on nuts, bolts washers and lead, etc. 
    Those forklift plugs can be bought for about $15 at a forklift place, you could even buy those contacts separate at a forklift place. A battery place may charge you more money for the same plugs.

• softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes.....I considered that. Going with large battery clamps and vaseline for awhile I think. Thanks!

I did buy some 6AWG forklift lugs to go into the charge controllers. Should be heavy duty....sometimes I like to over tighten a bit.

The challenge of the solar world is calling me again. Perhaps I will try a little service/supply with very small cabin type systems. The pros always want thousands for "full time" gear. Lots of seasonal homes around here.

Johann said:
    The big round chunk of lead where the cable is welded/soldered on to, you could drill and tap for an bolt to be used for your new wires.
    Just worry about corrosion, use Vaseline to coat what ever you attach to it, even grease will work.Use it on nuts, bolts washers and lead, etc. 
    Those forklift plugs can be bought for about $15 at a forklift place, you could even buy those contacts separate at a forklift place. A battery place may charge you more money for the same plugs.

First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries