Enphase M215s AC coupled with Outback GFX3048 in Off-Grid setup not waking in the morning.

Edsimon
Edsimon Registered Users Posts: 15 ✭✭
I need help to understand what is happening with my Enphase Microinverters: I installed 4pcs of UK model M215 on 200W 60-cell panels and coupled the 230VAC with a battery-based Outback GFX3048 with AC coupling capability. I'm not using Envoy cos I can't afford it for such a small system. The setup worked straight out of the box with all units blinking red/amber = producing. Come day break next day no indication at all on any of the micros! when I unplugged the solar connector of one unit and plugged back all 4 started working. Next morning same thing and this time I simply put off the off-grid inverter supply and put it back on and they all started producing again after showing green for a short while. This is how it repeats every morning. I'm about travelling and I'm worried they'll be nobody to keep doing this 'reset' plus I don't think this is how they're meant to work even though this is my first attempt at micros. Any help will be appreciated.
Ed.
Abuja, Central Nigeria: 5.8kWp, 63kWh Storage, DC Lighting, Grundfos SQFlex. Off-grid since 2013.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Assuming that your inverter AC output voltage is within the 230 VAC version of the Enphase inverters, I would check the AC frequency... If it is outside of 50 Hz +/- 0.5 Hz, that would prevent them from starting (it takes ~5 minutes of 230 VAC and 50 Hz in spec before the micro inverters will start).

Perhaps the Outback is outside the frequency spec?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • jonr
    jonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016 #3
     > I don't think this is how they're meant to work

True, they are meant to work with a lower impedance, stable source (the grid).  You could set up something to automatically reset the Outback or Enphase inverters periodically.

I am available for custom hardware/firmware development

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    How old is the GFX ? Any chance it is low battery disconnecting? There should be error or fault messages?
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Edsimon
    Thanks a lot for your thoughts Bill. I will measure the frequency once I get free a bit to wire in a meter; though I find that unlikely since it picks up the moment I do any kind of 'reset'. The GFX is a 2005...presently discontinued but it works perfectly. Dave, if it's low battery disconnecting then my air conditioner which is the load on this setup should go off as well. The OG never goes down till I come to reset the Micros in the morning.
    Could this be a firmware issue on the Microinverters? Since I'm running them offline I have no way of updating if there's such a thing. I'll consider Jonr's option of  setting up an auto reset as a last resort if nothing else works.
    Again thanks all.
    Abuja, Central Nigeria: 5.8kWp, 63kWh Storage, DC Lighting, Grundfos SQFlex. Off-grid since 2013.
  • Edsimon
    Update: I've checked the frequency of the Outback and it is flipping between 49.9 & 50Hz every 10th of a second.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    edited August 2016 #7
    Sounds OK... Try putting a small electric heater on the inverter (yes, waste of power). Wonder if the wave form is not "good enough sine wave" for the micro inverters.

But the fact you turn off / turn on the micro inverters and then they work--Strange.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • jonr
    jonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭
    Would be interesting to know more about what triggers the micro inverters to shut down.  Number of hours since reboot?  Morning startup?  Low load or low battery?

I am available for custom hardware/firmware development