Solar Panel Frame Seaside Corrosion Requirements

Anyone can advise whether the anodized aluminum frame of the solar panel can withstand the corrosive safty seaside environment?

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Solar Panel Frame Seaside Corrosion Requirements

GOOD, true, anodize will last. If there are pinholes in the conversion coat, the salt will begin eating from the pinholes. I suspect much of the commercial anodizing is loaded with pinholes. I'm 3 miles from the coast, and I hope my frames last.
    Good Luck
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• nigtomdaw
    nigtomdaw Solar Expert Posts: 705 ✭✭

An annual coat or two of quality automotive car wax/polish should seal up them pinholes nicely ?
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Thanks guys, but then sound like the anodized frame won't last. Well, nigtomdaw and mike, your views do help, appreciate that. Anybody know even a little more, share please..
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭

I have never, ever heard of issues with solar panels and being in a salt enviroment. As far as the panels, your worrying for no reason, now the mounting structure should be built in aluminum as well, if this is done build it and for get about it
  • VolcanoSolar
    VolcanoSolar Solar Expert Posts: 56

Unprotected aluminum will corrode.

Anodized aluminum holds up fine; painted aluminum holds up fine; but any chips or scratches need to be attended to, perhaps in the way of annual maintenance.

It also depends on the degree of "seaside" -- do high winds carry the ocean spray right onto things on a regular basis? That's a lot more severe than, say, the occasional salt in the air.