inverter

Options
could someone tell me a make and model of the inverter i will need. i am getting a 2600 watt 24 volt wind turbine. it will be off grid.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: inverter

A good place to start would be Wind-Sun's store...

You will need a true sine wave inverter--but these cost lots of $$$... Avoid the "modified sine/square wave" inverters if you need reliable power and to be able to run motors and electronics without fear of damage from the cheap inverters.

You will need to be more specific in your needs...

Wattage (maximum required to start your loads--like a well pump, 120/240 VAC--assuming 60Hz).

Do you want to be able to connect a 120 VAC generator to the input and use the inverter/batteries like a giant UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply)?

Does the inverter need to be able to start/stop the generator? Do you want the inverter to be able to charge batteries from the AC input?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

Is that turbine 24 volt or 240 volt? The 24 volt machine should have its own charge controller, and requires no inverter. The 240 volt turbine would require a grid tie inverter, like a Windy Boy, or a step-down transformer--like you see with high voltage Whisper units. However, you say off-grid-- Do you plan on interacting with the grid? Or, is that turbine going to charge your batteries?

An inverter for your 24v system is another matter, please give us some more info about your system plans.
  • System2
    Options

all i use the turbine is for my shop. it is to be used just to reduce my electric bill. no backup generator, no ups. all 120 volt load. turbine is 23 volt.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Shop implies power tools with large starting surges. Tough for most inverters to handle.
    You may want to go with a grid tie system, and that's likely the most cost effective way to shave your power bill (after you go thru all the conservation measures)

Are you sure you have enough good wind to bother with? Most generators will turn at 10 mph, but produce no real power till 15mph.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

Since you appear to be in Northern California, you can use Grid Tied inverter with your turbine and PG&E (might even get some CA rebates--not sure)... I don't know much about wind turbine GT inverters--but try looking at the Windy Boy and see if it will meet your needs (their solar GT Inverters seem to work nicely and have a good history).

But, you may also in a pretty sunny area too... I would suggest (if you have the place to install it) that solar PV with Grid Tied Inverter. You could also look for solar hot water / hot air for heating. Solar Heating Systems are usually smaller (collector area) and (generally cheaper) to buy--and if it saves you $$$ on natural gas vs $$$ on electricity--you still come out ahead.

I would humbly suggest that you look at solar PV first... For the most part, the sun is more reliable and PV systems require less maintenance (but do cost a lot to buy). Also, wind turbines are not always the quietest beast on the block.

The "back end" side requirements; permits, inspections, etc. are going to be similar between wind and sun systems.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • System2
    Options

I agree with Bil on the solar / wind issue. I've had both. No comparison for me.
    Yearly, comparing the two, few were the days where I got any power at all from the turbine, while extremely few were the days where I didn't get at least some power from solar. And, I also found solar hot water to be awesome!
    Wind maintenance was an ongoing issue, as well as wind storms, while with properly installed solar - set it and practically forget it.
    Sure the turbine looked pretty spinning up there, but it seldom spun fast enough to produce any usable power.
    BUT - - every site is different and your mileage may differ.
    Cheers
    Wayne