Help Calling Experts putting together an off grid system

Silver
Silver Registered Users Posts: 1
I am new to the solar world. I have been reading the forum and it seems the more I read the more it makes me realize I am over my head trying to put a system together. I probably should have sought the help of the experts here! I have been piecing a system slowly. I would like to run a room air conditioner with the following specs:
Frigidaire
115 volts, 60Hz, 1PH
BTU-6000 EER-11.2
AMPS - 5.0

I currently have the following
1. (4) Grape Solar GS-P-265-Fab1
     Max Peak Power (Pmax)..............................265W
     Maximum Power Point Voltage (Vmpp)......30.93V
     Maximum Power Point Current (Impp)........8.57A
     Open Circuit Voltage  (Voc)..........................38.69V
     Short Circuit Current (Isc).............................9.05A
     Normal Operating Cell Temp.  (NOCT).........45+/- 2°C
     Max Systema Voltage...................................1000V
     Fuse Rating....................................................15A
2. (1) Morningstar TS-MPPT-60
3. (1) Magnum Energy MS4448PAE
    I was thinking I may need 220V down the road. If experts think I need to get a different one I can do so.

I was thinking of getting 4 Concorde Sun Xtender PVX-2120L or 4 Outback Energy cell 106RE

This is a formula I used to help guide me:

1. 590 Watts X 24 hrs = 14,160 watt hours
2. Fudge Factor 14,160 X 1.5 = 21,240
3. Solar Isolation Low 4.65
4. Solar Panel Array 21,240 ÷ 4.65 = 4567.74 = 4568
5. Battery Size 14,160 X 5 = 70,800 watt hours (70.8Kwh)
    70,800 ÷ 48 = 1475 Amp hours
6. Charge Controller Size in AMPS
    4568 watts ÷ 48 = 95.16
7. Summary
    4568 ÷ 325 = 14 Panels

Comments

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum,

Before designing the system for that Frigidaire, consider a more efficient unit.  That's a huge system for an air conditioner.   Off grid power is very expensive... if you spent a few thousand dollars on a more efficient unit, you would save more than that on the power system.  

btw, you should not use those nameplate power ratings to calculate the energy needs of the frigidaire... get a kill-a-watt meter and find out what it actually consumes over a few day's time.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Where do you live and what is your budget along with vtmaps comments.
    Your formula is not realistic. Get some numbers. Look at mini-split heat pumps only for offgrid cooling/heating.
    With data you can dial in a price. You do need basic handyman / electrical skills also. Good Luck!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail [email protected]

• DConlyGuy
    DConlyGuy Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭
    for me i would start out with cheaper battery's too, starting with expensive battery's is not the way to go while you are learning 
    600 watts of solar panels,Epever 30 mppt , 2 PWHR12500W4FR battery's in 24 volt setup
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to imagine, you've done much research...

Your math is sort-of correct, but your assumptions are way off...

An air conditioner or anything running on a thermostat, will have a duty cycle. The 590 watts, will be when the compressor is running. If the compressor is running continuously, you are never cooling the room down.

If you are in the planning stages far enough in advance, plan to have the room very well insulated, an extra 2" all the way around it will likely save you more money than you will spend! Build the room in the shade! sun heats in ways different than the air. You might even consider a berm/earth contact house or an under ground house.

Several things are involved in calculating this load and demands. Does your heat come with sun? I live in Missouri and our heat typically comes with sun, I use to live in north Florida where you could have a very over cast day and temps in the upper 80s and high humidity.

Is this the only reason for the system? No other loads? What are your goals?

I've built a cabin in the shade with a minimal system starting with a 1000 watt array. That provided about 4 hours of duty cycle on a 5200 btu window air conditioner, that draws about 440 watts, along with some minimal other loads (computer and lights and fan). This cooled down a purpose built cabin 10x16 with 6" walls 8" roof and 10" floor insulation, built in the shade. That was enough to get 8 hours sleep, my goal.  

I managed that on 4 golf cart batteries and 1000 watt array. That was drawing the batteries down to 60-40% of capacity. I added to the array the next few years to give myself some run time during the day. This, in turn, cool the thermal mass, and allowed longer run times into the evening.

Set your complete system goals, Look at what energy you will need. Work on limiting that! Pennies on conservation may save dollars on your system.

it2.jpg 36.5K
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With out a real idea of how much great your energy needs are it's hard to figure the system. The batteries you have specs, don't match your system needs. As an idea of poor insulated room air conditioning, my current system is 4000 watt array, about a 650 ah 24 volt battery and I run a similar window air unit for 6 - 8 hours at night. I could easily run it around the clock, even in the poorly insulated 16x16 mobile home room if I wanted to push my system a bit. ...but I'm also running a refrigerator in an un-air conditioned kitchen and some other base loads.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.