Slightly confused

ArcticTaco
ArcticTaco Registered Users Posts: 5 ✭✭
Hello, 
I have an off grid 12v system that has been growing over the years. Mostly with 2nd hand purchased components along with new. I have 2- 75 watt Siemens panels, 2 Solarex MSX 53 panels, and 2 Kyocera 50 watt panels all wired in parallel, feeding a Xantrex- C40 charge controller with 8 sun extender 1040T. Mainly for lighting loads, and using a couple of cigarette lighter type inverters- a Tripplite 140W, and a Cobra 400 W. I have an Outback circuit breaker panel , and a blue sea 100 fuse panel that everything feeds out from.

So the question is the Solarex panels have a sort of confusing diagram on the back showing 6 terminals with + above pin 1on the far left hand side with the blocking diode symbol in between pin 1 and pin 2 (left to right) a solid jumper between pin 3 and pin 4, and a - over pin 5 nothing above pin 6. Right now everything is going through (in parallel) this panel= 3 wires to each pin 2 and 5 respectively. Seems like a bit much, I would like to spread it out between 1&2, 5&6.
Luckily it is upside down and somewhat obscured by the 2x4 frame that the panels are attached to. So the question is this a drama? The confusing part is that this is on the diagram that says blocking diode beneath it. 
Standard wiring diagram shows almost the same yet shows no diode symbol and shows the + above pin 2 and the - over pin 5. 
Everything seems to be working fine, I am planning to add a 12v dorm sized fridge soon, and just want to maximize my charging system. 
Just curious....
All 12 vdc,  on a budget, 350 watts of panels, 8 sun extender 1040 T, Xantrex C40, Outback circuit breaker panel, and a couple cig lighter inverters.  Off grid for around 20 yrs in the Great Land - Alaska

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would think leave it alone.

I would also think you suggesting adding perhaps a 1KWh load to your system. It's not likely to run on your existing inverters. and you appear to be under paneled for your current battery capacity. 350 watts of panels might be expected to produce About 1 Kwh of charging in a typical 4 hours of effective charging. (don't know your location, you could figure as high as 6 in areas of the southwest.) The inverter will use @15% more power above the fridge. and even more with a modified sine wave inverter, there are some reasonable true sine wave inverters at 12 volts...

I would think you would want to add another 2-400 watts to your array and a true sine wave inverter, to give the fridge a chance, though perhaps you just planned on weekend use...

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • ArcticTaco
    edited June 2016 #3
    Thanks for the info, the fridge would just be on for about 6 days every 2 weeks at this time. I have yet to spec out the 12 volt dc compressor. The inverters are only switched on for use, then shut off. So far everything is keeping up. But when I get the fridge it will change, and I will adjust I guess. I live in Alaska.
    Thanks again, 
    All 12 vdc,  on a budget, 350 watts of panels, 8 sun extender 1040 T, Xantrex C40, Outback circuit breaker panel, and a couple cig lighter inverters.  Off grid for around 20 yrs in the Great Land - Alaska
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    DYI, we use a 1500W inverter to run our GE 18 cu ft fridge, and that is it, so to speak ...  wife can use the vacuum but inverter will not power my cut off saw at the same time as fridge...  friges pack a heavy load.

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • ArcticTaco
    Yes they do, one of the reasons why I plan to go with a dc compressor-still a load but if you insulate them a bit more and you aren't going from dc-ac it saves some power I think.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe I read in another thread that you were going to build your own, quite a project. I had intended to build a sleeping coffin (4x4x8) with a danfoss compressor. There are some helpful designs in sailboat forums. I could make mine work on paper, until someone mentioned I was going to have a 100 degree thermal mass in the coffin...

It's a fine adventure, good luck!
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • ArcticTaco
    It should be interesting. Looking for something that would have a separate freezer compartment Ideally, but for now I have a small dorm sized fridge in great shape that I will change the compressor out for a 12 v Danfoss. May have to get a Rutland to help out....
    Cheers