Changing charge controllers

Options
2»

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You never mentioned how they were grounded? They can be (-), (+) or ungrounded/floating.
    There is not a software version as they have not changed from when new in 2011. Firmware should be 1.01.00 BN1
    Have they tested your old controllers? 
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• WaterWheel
    WaterWheel Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Neg ground so the fuse is in the correct slot

While I never checked the 1st controller the last two have had the 1.01.00 BN1 firmware.     If they've always had the same firmware I wonder why they asked for my firmware version.

The 1st controller I sent back never got tested, something I wish they had done.      I have suggested that they test the 2nd controller

Conext XW6848 with PDP, SCP, 80/600 controller, 60/150 controller and Conext battery monitor

21 SW280 panels on Schletter ground mount

48v Rolls 6CS 27P

• Dave Angelini
    Options
    Most of the Techs are following a script but 1.01.00 BN1 firmware is the last we used beta testing the 80-600. It really has not had any problems other than something like what you have here.
    Working well now is all that counts. They should do an failure analysis but maybe you could follow up on it with your RMA#.
    Much better screen name!

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

"...  was showing 283v with .2 amps coming in and .9 amps at 48v going out; the same as the last 80 600 controller..."

Sure looks like a properly working charge controller to me! 283 v x .2 amps = 56.6 watts (huge fudge margin here as display is likely + or - .1 amps) Output 48 volts x .9 watts = 43.2 watts. You will loose some in the transition, and with minimal wattage and some base lose... It looks like a properly working charge controller.

I don't see what problem you are having, what is your complaint? Please bring light to the blind!

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Dave Angelini
    Options
    I agree with you Photowhit but am too swamped to read half of these.  I can tell you if Schneider does an FA, they usually will deny warranty if they find lightning, reversed polarity, or that the unit was flooded.  They are pretty good with new customers and may let it slide though. The units get a good burn-in and have an individual spec sheet, but infant mortality happens. They are built at a Schneider run factory and not a 3rd party manufacturer.

• WaterWheel
    WaterWheel Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Photowhit said:

"...  was showing 283v with .2 amps coming in and .9 amps at 48v going out; the same as the last 80 600 controller..."

Sure looks like a properly working charge controller to me! 283 v x .2 amps = 56.6 watts (huge fudge margin here as display is likely + or - .1 amps) Output 48 volts x .9 watts = 43.2 watts. You will loose some in the transition, and with minimal wattage and some base lose... It looks like a properly working charge controller.

I don't see what problem you are having, what is your complaint? Please bring light to the blind!

283v and ,2 amps was all the controller was passing through on a sunny day with a partially discharged battery bank.     There was no reversed polarity ect.     The controller was acting as if it's 230v minimum starting requirement had not been met,        As soon as 2 more panels were added to the string raising the string voltage the controller started pulling much higher amperage from the panels.     Keep in mind that previously I had spent about well over an hour with their tech support using a multi-meter and they agreed that the first controller was bad.

Conext XW6848 with PDP, SCP, 80/600 controller, 60/150 controller and Conext battery monitor

21 SW280 panels on Schletter ground mount

48v Rolls 6CS 27P