opinions on battery charger/desulfator

fauss
fauss Registered Users Posts: 26 ✭✭
Which charger/desulfator does everyone use? I will be charging two 6v 208ah GC batteries in series. I read a post on here that suggested noco chargers. I've looked at a variety of brands but I don't know anything about them.
Here's one I have looking at
http://m.ebay.com/itm/NOCO-Genius-G3500-6V-12V-Wicked-Smart-Charger-Maintainer-3-5A-3500mA-/191791927380?nav=SEARCH

Any input is appreciated.

Comments

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    That NOCO is for small batteries.... I doubt that it could ever charge your batteries.  You need a charger that can put out at least 10 amps at charging voltages (and that would be a slow charge).  A 20 amp output would be better.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • fauss
    Thanks vtmaps. Any suggestions?
  • fauss
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Is this for an off grid system with AC genset for backup? Or connected to mains 24x7?

Iota chargers (with IQ4 module/option) is not too expensive and have proved to be pretty rugged. There is a new SDC Iota family that I know knowing about (yet--claims to work better on gensets?):

http://www.solar-electric.com/batteries-meters-accessories/bach2.html

-Bill

Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • fauss
    I'm powering a small shed used mostly on weekends. I could run about 100 feet of extension cord from my house for the charger. I also have an old 3500 ac generator. I'll have two 100w panels at first. I don't have ideal sun conditions so I need to be able to charge the batteries until I get more panels.

The picture I took is where the panels would be mounted facing south. ( Sorry for the poor quality of the picture) There is a pretty tall tree that would really effect charging in the winter months. All this has nothing to do with looking for a charger but what the heck.
  • vtmaps
    fauss said:
    That is for starting batteries.  You need something for deep cycle batteries.  Look at the Iotas that Bill mentioned. 

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • BB.
    edited June 2016 #9
    Regarding desulfators, if you design your system well and take good care of your batteries, a desulfator will not do much (had been one report that a desulfator's electrical noise confused an mppt charge controller and reduced its output).

If you do not take good care of your batteries, in my humble opinion, a desulfator will not help.

You will find some folks that LOVE desulfators.

Your choice.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Mangas
    Mangas Solar Expert Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭
    Take good care of the batteries. They are the most expensive component in a well designed off grid system.

I decommissioned our desulfators some time ago.  
    Ranch Off Grid System & Custom Home: 2 x pair stacked Schneider XW 5548+ Plus inverters (4), 2 x Schneider MPPT 80-600 Charge Controllers, 2 Xanbus AGS Generator Start and Air Extraction System Controllers, 64 Trojan L16 REB 6v 375 AH Flooded Cel Batteries w/Water Miser Caps, 44 x 185 Sharp Solar Panels, Cummins Onan RS20 KW Propane Water Cooled Genset, ICF Custom House Construction, all appliances, Central A/C, 2 x High Efficiency Variable Speed three ton Central A/C 220v compressors, 2 x Propane furnaces, 2 x Variable Speed Air Handlers, 2 x HD WiFi HVAC Zoned System Controllers
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chargers - even ones for starting batteries are better than no charger, and can be left on for a while longer.  They may not give a complete charge.
    Iota chargers - have a lower power factor, and will demand more VA from your generator. 
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• fauss
    edited June 2016 #12
    I won't be charging with a generator unless the power was out for awhile. So about a 20 amp charger is fine?
  • fauss
    edited June 2016 #13
    Will this charger work fine running off my house. Only using a charger in the chance I don't have good sun for a couple days.

208ah 12v lead acid battery

http://www.solar-electric.com/batteries-meters-accessories/bach2.html
  • BB.
    Iota does work well... On gensets, because of the "poor power factor"--You have to be careful to understand the input needs of the AC supply and the output capabilities of the genset.

The standard Iota--20 amp @ 12 volt supply on a small 900 Watt Honda eu1000i genset does work fine. A 40-45 Amp @ 12 volt supply requires a Honda eu2000i minimum.

The new SDC version of Iota--Don't know anything about them to make a recommendation of "old" vs "SDC" choice (SDC are limited to 12 and 24 volt battery banks).

-Bill
  • vtmaps
    BB. said:
    The standard Iota--20 amp @ 12 volt supply on a small 900 Watt Honda eu1000i genset does work fine. A 40-45 Amp @ 12 volt supply requires a Honda eu2000i minimum.

The new SDC version of Iota--Don't know anything about them to make a recommendation of "old" vs "SDC" choice (SDC are limited to 12 and 24 volt battery banks).
    (I'm not sure they make a 12 volt 20 amp charger)

All the Iota chargers (including the new SDC units) have very high inrush currents... even their 12 volt, 15 amp unit has an AC inrush of 30 amps.   

Inverter type generators, generally do not deal with high inrush currents as well as conventional generators.  There are a number of reports of inverter generators not working with Iota chargers...  PF is often blamed (and rightly so), but I suspect part of the problem is the inrush currents.

--vtMaps
  • fauss
    Are all the Iota "low end " changers able to float your batteries?I'm not able to find much info on the Iota 25 amp me-sbe.
  • BB.
    Getting old... Yes, there is a 15 amp and 30 amp 12 volt charger from Iota... I don't know (or remember) if the 30 amp @ 12 volts can run on a Honda eu1000i, but I think not (poor power factor of the Iotas).

-Bill