Are danby products reliable and good quality?

solarvic
solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭
Anyone have a Danby freezer? I didn,t find too many complaints or trouble with thier quality or lifespan. Just ordered an 8.7 Danby chest freezer model DCFM246WDD that is energystar rated at 262 KWH per year. Think they are North American built in Canada which is fine with me. Anyone have good or bad experiences or coments on Danby? :Dsolarvic:D

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Are danby products reliable and good quality?

Hmm. Looks like I'm the only one about with any Danby products.

First off, they're made in China, not Canada. Canada sold all its manufacturing to China, along with its soul. :p

I've got a 600 Watt microwave at the cabin, which gets used so rarely it's hard to judge its quality. It works, which puts it one up on the first (not Danby) one I bought for there. Consumes 1080 Watts running. I like it better than the Kenmore at the new place, but not as well as the GE (which I'm taking with me even before the house sells).

The other Danby product I have is a small, "cube" refrigerator which the kids gave to me one year to keep my drinks cool in while I work. It was used for about six years before it started to make a lot of strange noises, the source of which I could not locate. It still works, but I don't need it any more. It's in the garage if anyone wants it. :D

On the whole I'd say Danby isn't the worst, but they sure aren't the best either. Right now I've got a very good Whirlpool refrigerator at the cabin, and a very expensive yet not-so-impressive Maytag at the other house, and a Kenmore which is noisy like the Danby. Doesn't have to be a no-name to be so-so quality.

Don't be surprised if you get confused by the amount of appliances and places I reference: I'm juggling three residences right now, and it's an absolute nightmare. :cry:
  • solarvic

First off, they're made in China, not Canada. Canada sold all its manufacturing to China, along with its soul. :p

I've got a 600 Watt microwave at the cabin, which gets used so rarely it's hard to judge its quality. It works, which puts it one up on the first (not Danby) one I bought for there. Consumes 1080 Watts running. I like it better than the Kenmore at the new place, but not as well as the GE (which I'm taking with me even before the house sells).

The other Danby product I have is a small, "cube" refrigerator which the kids gave to me one year to keep my drinks cool in while I work. It was used for about six years before it started to make a lot of strange noises, the source of which I could not locate. It still works, but I don't need it any more. It's in the garage if anyone wants it. :D

On the whole I'd say Danby isn't the worst, but they sure aren't the best either. Right now I've got a very good Whirlpool refrigerator at the cabin, and a very expensive yet not-so-impressive Maytag at the other house, and a Kenmore which is noisy like the Danby. Doesn't have to be a no-name to be so-so quality.

Don't be surprised if you get confused by the amount of appliances and places I reference: I'm juggling three residences right now, and it's an absolute nightmare. :cry:
    Well I tryed to buy AMERICAN. I passes by a couple Kenmore models because they were made in China by Haier. Haier had the best energystar rateings. A local Crosley dealer sells a couple Danby items but tryed to sell me a Crosley with 12 year guarantee which he thinks is a lot better but not energystar rated. As for the noisy refrigerators you have, Did you check the fans? I had a GE with a noisy fan. Thanks for your reply about Danby. Guess after a few years of ownership I will know the answer to my question. :Dsolarvic:D
  • TheBackRoads
    TheBackRoads Solar Expert Posts: 274 ✭✭

My parents have a Danby mini fridge that they use for keeping soda cool in our porch. Has worked well for many years now, uses about 100w running and I think about .6kwh/day. It's the next size up from the small cube ones. All in all, no complaints.. I'd say you'll be fine!
  • solarvic

Mark, I did get the Danby freezer that is made in CHINA. It looks identical to the one that SEARS had that I avoided because it was made in China. Another bad feature is It has an LG compressor which I was warned is junk. It is new and works ok but now that it came from CHINA, I wish I would have bought the Crosley freezer I turned down because it wasn,t energystar rated. The Crosley only used about 15 kwh too much to pass the energystar rateing. With the 12 year quarantee that Crosley has and the dealer is local for me. He warned me and I didn,t listen. Also he said the Crosley is made in Winston- Salem North Carolina. Oh well I got it now so better like it.
    Actually it is nice and works well. solarvic
  • misterno
    misterno Registered Users Posts: 1

I had bought a small fridge the other day, this site helped me make my mind up: http://www.minifridge24.com/
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

I have used Danby LP fridges without much trouble. (aside from small issues with the CO detectors and sealed combustion systems.)

Given a choice, I would go with Dometics

Tony
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

i have one of those little danby cube refrigs and it is about 20yrs old now and i've been running it for nearly all of those years minus a few i just didn't run it constantly during that time. no noises, no problems, and very low power consumption. i believe i did post about it somewhere on the forum a few years back. not sure what country of origin it is and i don't feel like pulling it out from its location right now to find out.
  • solarvic

I started this thread about the Danby freezer I bought. February it will be 2 years old without problems and it was energystar rated. Had a 30 hour power outage once and nothing thawed. I just covered it with a conforter blanket. Sokarvic
  • matnia
    matnia Registered Users Posts: 1
    I bought one danby 12000 btu portable AC and I WILL NEVER BUY ANYTHING from them again. i saw them using a cheap Linear GMCC compressor on a portable AC, it sounded like a traktor inside the appartment. the hoses were not air lock and the unit was just vibrating without cooling. I sent the service department a complaint and they said it is normal. there was not any noise level written anywhere for the product. I returned the product after 2 days of usage. I think they are new and they do not know that if they do not bring good quality to the market they should face returned products. I saw a new brand Ecohouzing , i think it is the same as danby just rebranded , so beware. avoid this brand and all brands like it. for them to know they should provide users with standard quality products. not just their profit. thanks
  • panhead
    panhead Registered Users Posts: 1
    Danby dehumidifier bought 3 years ago and the compressor is shot... Called company was on hold for 40 minutes,  called Allergy Buyer's Club which is where I purchased the unit not expecting much and that's what I got.   Was told by the customer service person that you can expect to get about 3 years out of the dehumidifier and then when they go out,  throw it away...,,,wow things sure aren't what they used to be.   Bought this house 15 years ago with a dehumidifier from Sears already in the basement,  It took 15 years before it went out.
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    I have had a Danby 7.1 chest freezer for a year or so and it has worked just fine.  Bought it from Costco for around $189
    boB
  • Lumisol
    Lumisol Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017 #13
    Danby is made in China, Like Apple products.
  • solarvic
    Tell me! What can you buy that isn,t made in China?   I have a Kenmore  Refrigeator made by Whirlpool. A couple mopnths ago it quit and I thought I was going to have to buy a new fridge. The compressor wasn,t working and it was made in China, Same brand as my Ge ospring waterheater.  Was able to get it running again with a hard start kit also made in China.  I started this post in 2011 and the freezer is still running well.  
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
    I expect a fridge or freezer to last 8-10 years before I'll it is good and reliable. My extra large Danby freezer is about three years old and very energy efficient. 

As far as Amazon ratings, I wonder if people will rate unless they have an issue. I may not rate a freezer unless it has an issue. Plus I wonder about shipping handling by UPS. I've seen stuff dropped by at least 10' by appearances. That would be hard on a fridge/freezer. Or stored upside down then quickly plugged in. A huge no-no. 

Come to think of it, I seem to recall a lot of sub far fridge and freezer Amazon reviews. Which likely birthed the above theory.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries