Low Voltage Disconnect and Auto Switch to Grid

Options
EarthImage
EarthImage Registered Users Posts: 3
Howdy, I've been mucking about with 2 x 250 watt panels and 24 volt battery setup to run my office computer and printers. Works great while I have enough juice in my batteries! What I'd like to do is have a device that will monitor my battery voltage so that when it drops to say 24.2 volts that my inverter is shut down and my system automatically switches to grid power. I would then run off of grid power until my solar panels charge my batteries to a specified voltage (25.3 volts?) and then automatically my system would switch back to using the inverter. Is there an affordable (ha!) device that can do this? Am I thinking about this correctly? Yes, I am new to the solar game.

Thanks!
EarthImage

Comments

• Raj174
    Raj174 Solar Expert Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello Earthimage and welcome to the forum,

Higher end inverters (more expensive) have this function built in, however an automatic transfer switch with an appropriate logic circuit triggering a low and high voltage relay at the inverter input might work. Google automatic transfer switches, 
    Google this to control the inverter on and off at set voltage.     

JLD404AH Intelligent AH meter 

The control relay will have to be big enough to handle the max amperage you expect the inverter to draw. This equipment is not cheap, maybe 500 dollars.

Rick

4480W PV, MNE175DR-TR, MN Classic 150, Outback Radian GS4048A, Mate3, 51.2V 360AH nominal LiFePO4, Kohler Pro 5.2E genset.
  • EarthImage
    Options
    Hi Rick,

Thanks for the tips. Ya, the more I research this topic the more I'm realizing that I am going to have to make something. Strange, it seems that a device like this would be mandatory for small non tie-in installations. The conspiracist in me believes this is a concerted effort by the solar industry to push folks to expensive tie-in solutions instead of smaller homeowner independent solutions!

EarthImage
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Look at the Outback inverters, those with G in the code name are for grid tie but don't have to be... but you are up > $1000...
    hth

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Raj174
    Raj174 Solar Expert Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think the problem is that the kind of features that you are looking for are not economically practical for such small systems. I was originally going to put a couple of appliances (fridge and freezer) on solar power as a backup for grid failure, but ran into the same problem you did. Wanted automatic control.
    Decided to spend about 15K to put the whole house on solar (except range and dryer) with grid as source or backup. I used an Outback Radian GS4048 hybrid inverter. This is one of the models that Westbranch spoke of above. Our house is not large, about 850 sq/ft not counting the garage. 
    4480W PV, MNE175DR-TR, MN Classic 150, Outback Radian GS4048A, Mate3, 51.2V 360AH nominal LiFePO4, Kohler Pro 5.2E genset.
  • EarthImage
    Options
    I've ordered a simple 12v LVD from England (http://www.reuk.co.uk/buy-REUK-PROGRAMMABLE-LOW-VOLTAGE-DISCONNECT-WITH-DISPLAY.htm) and combined with 120v relay (with 12v switching) might do the trick. I'm thinking of using a simple UPS to cover the switching from battery to mains. This solution is sub $100, whereas the cheapest hybrid solution is still WAY WAY WAY more expensive. Cool if it works.

• littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Can you tell us what charge controller and what output specs your panels. When you say 2 x 250 watt panels and 24 volt battery this throws up a red flag. Most 250 watt solar panels are not 24 volt nominal and will not properly charge a 24 volt battery bank without , at minimum, 2 panels, series wired and running this output through a true MPPT charge controller. Also your charging voltage can be up to 28.8 volts and resting voltage of a full bank more like 26.4 to 26.8 volts.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.