Battery Maintenance - Trojan T105

jped
jped Registered Users Posts: 8 ✭✭
I am planning a small system with 2 6V Trojan T105 batteries and am trying to find some good info on what to expect for maintenance. I will only be using the system in the summer months for weekend/2 week periods and then storing the system for the winter. (Canada). Just wondering if anyone has some expected amount of maintenance for the batteries and maybe a good website for tutorials (how often they need to be filled, etc). It is hard to find good trustworthy info out there. Also, do I need to store the batteries indoors over the winter or is there a way to store them outdoors in below freezing temp without damaging them?
Tagged:

Comments

• Mountain Don
    Mountain Don Solar Expert Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    What is the rest of the system?  Solar panels? Etc?  FYI, a fully charged battery like a T105 will not freeze until something like -90 F.  But left to sit over several months it will self discharge, maybe enough to freeze.  A PV system with quality components can sit over winter with the PV system maintaining the charge. Of course things could go wrong, but we have done that since 2009 and have no wintering issues. 
    Northern NM, 624 watts PV, The Kid CC, GC-2 batteries @ 24 VDC, Outback VFX3524M
  • jped
    I haven't purchased the system but am intending on getting 2 - 100W panels (any suggestions?) with a 15A MPPT Morningstar Controller and Morningstar SureSine 300W Inverter. Not sure if I should get the  RM-1 for monitoring. Any thoughts? I can always add later.
  • Thom
    Thom Solar Expert Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
    I would get more then 200w of panel if using those batteries. But first things first.  It's important to know your loads. Then design a system around that. U will b much happier with less money wasted. 
    Off grid since 1984. 430w of panel, 300w suresine , 4 gc batteries 12v system, Rogue mpt3024 charge controller , air breeze windmill, Mikita 2400w generator . Added 2@ 100w panel with a midnight brat 
  • jped
    I think I am limited to 200W for the MS 15A MPPT for 12V. From what I've been reading on this forum, I shouldn't store the batteries over the winter without keeping them on charge. Does that seem right? Should I buy a Battery charger and keep them trickle charging over the winter? Would that be good for them and could I do that in a basement? (ie gasses produced)
  • Thom
    Thom Solar Expert Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
    PV is cheep batteries are expensive.  get a larger charge controler. Like a Kid . Yes u can charge them at home . My cabin I don't take them home.
    Off grid since 1984. 430w of panel, 300w suresine , 4 gc batteries 12v system, Rogue mpt3024 charge controller , air breeze windmill, Mikita 2400w generator . Added 2@ 100w panel with a midnight brat 
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    In general, a good solar charge controller that has a float mode works well during winter (all battery loads turned off).

And letting the battery(ies) get cold during the winter--Reduces self discharge and can significantly increase battery life (for every 10C reduction in temperature, roughly 2x longer battery life).

While one should always be careful with lead acid batteries charging (hydrogen gas generation)--Placing the batteries in a vented box is a good idea (insulated if you use the system during winter--heat the batteries up with a battery heater and your genset--And generally the battery bank will stay warm enough just from normal cycling while you are there during winter).

And flooded cell batteries can let acid mist out to settle on nearby items--If you have stuff stored in the basement and/or solar charger+inverter nearby--Not the best thing for them (sulfric acid mist/electrolyte mist).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • davemac
    davemac Registered Users Posts: 39 ✭✭
    Good thread

I have 4 T105 batteries in series charged by 1kW of panels through the Morningstar 150V/60A charge controller.

I too will have to leave them idle for 4-5 months of the year and am seeking advice on best practice for maintenance.

1) Is it best to disconnect all loads and have the controller run its usual bulk-float cycles and monthly auto equalization?

2) Or should I consider turning off the equalization schedule so that the electrolyte is less depleted and bulk-float cycle them only?

3) something else I should do, like include a small DC load schedule, thoughts?

Cheers

DaveMac

• Mountain Don
    Mountain Don Solar Expert Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016 #9
    I have similar batteries, just not Trojan. I switch the breaker from batteries to inverter Off. Ditto that for the breaker that services the few DC loads. No loads run at all all winter.

If you have your charge controller absorb charge set as a timed charge, you may want to shorten the absorb time to lessen gassing. If you use end amps to terminate the absorb charge you should be good to leave the settings as is. At least since July 2009 that has worked well for this set of batteries.

I do not use auto equalize, ever. I want to be there if an EQ is underway.  I make certain the cells have their electrolyte level up before leaving for the winter season. An EQ cycle is run in the couple of weeks prior to leaving for the season.

Northern NM, 624 watts PV, The Kid CC, GC-2 batteries @ 24 VDC, Outback VFX3524M
  • davemac
    edited May 2016 #10
    Thanks Mountain Don

Any Morningstar 150v/60A MPPT aficionados out there that have programmed their charge controller to have an 'away' setting? The DIP switches don't have that option, but there is a CUSTOM option that I feel requires a computer interface ... I don't own a PC so can anyone walk me through that experience?

Cheers

Dave

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morningstar Tristar 150v/60A MPPT has a DB9 serial interface for custom programming,   You could develop a "Away" setting and manually (via DIP switch) select it (and reboot) when you depart and return.   You may be able to program it via the web interface, but I've not used that method.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• davemac
    Thanks Mike95490 ... I'll do just that! Cheers