Problem with xw4548 on Gen support

11JAGAN
11JAGAN Solar Expert Posts: 34 ✭✭

Hi friends,

For an standalone system , I have  installed conext XW 4548 with 1000Ah battery bank .

The battery bank is charged by xantrex  2 X Mppt 60 150.

I also have 20Kva generator to run heavy load and to charge the batteries in dry season .

Problem:

The device functions normally in inverter mode.

But when I run the generator to charge the battery bank with All AC load disconnected ,after 5  min the 100A DC breaker between xantrex 4548 and battery bank trip and the inverter shows F41 and F49 fault.

Please help me to sort out this.

Comments

• animatt
    animatt Solar Expert Posts: 295 ✭✭✭
    Not sure how likely but I recently had an issue with a bad breaker.  Could you be overloading a weak breaker?  When it trips it cause the F49.  battery over voltage. I believe the overvoltage happens at 70V which is HIGH.  

I would try to adjust charging rate a bit down. maybe something like 50Amps.  If that works you could investigate the actual cause.  I would then move amps back up in increments.  Very easy to test.

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    A 100 ADC Breaker sounds a bit on the small side... For the "inverter function", you would need:
    • 4,500 Watts * 1/0.85 inverter eff 8 1/42 volts battery cutoff * 1.25 NEC breaker/wiring derating = 158 amp minimum breaker
    Round up to next standard size--If you want to run the inverter at maximum.

For charging, the XW 4548 has a rated 85 amp maximum output current... The NEC breaker rating (minimum) would be:
    • 85 amps * 1.25 NEC breaker/wiring derating = 106 amp minimum branch circuit rating (round up to next standard size
    100 Amp breaker is a bit small--But I would be surprised if it popped consistently when charging (not that small).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015 #4
    Way too small. The reason it is tripping is you have not set the Gen to limit. This will help until you buy the correct circuit breaker. 175 A for 2/0 250A for 4/0. The Store here has them BTW. Morning Bill ! Any smoke in the City?
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Nope--Surprising... Years pasts, fires in the Sierras would bring noticeable smoke here.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • 11JAGAN
    11JAGAN Solar Expert Posts: 34 ✭✭
    I thank you all for your response.

• The  PEAK load on the system is 2200W. since the load is small i used 35 Sq.mm cable between the Battery and inverter/charger.
    • I used Schneider  Electric 865-1080 DC Breaker - the specs says tripping current 125Amps.   if the breaker is small then it should get tripped immediately ,but it getting tripped after 5 min .
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015 #7
    It will take some time to trip as your solar and the generator run current thru the cables. Use the right breaker and cable and you will never have this issue. It is in the manual BTW. It is also a fire safety issue !!

Yea Bill I thought you would get the Monterrey fire smoke. It has not been too bad here the last month but when it is we raise our glasses to the mini-split.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you will need the combox or SCP to program the Load & Charging limits
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• t00ls
    t00ls Solar Expert Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    have to agree with dave...too small of a breaker

and you can go in and set the charge rate to 50-60% this will alleviate some of your problem...for now

you can also set your gen support to a lower amp setting....just make sure to set it where the dc is putting mor in that coming out....go into the meter function on the scp and watch the amps in and amps out