xantrex system control panel and network terminators

Options
mahendra
mahendra Solar Expert Posts: 180 ✭✭✭
I am in need  for clarification.
I recently examined a friends solar set up .He has a Xantrex XW 4548 that needs to communicate with his Xantrex System control panel(those are the only two xantrex devices in the system).
Upon connecting the network cable to the SCP and to the communications port on the inverter the SCP powers on but no communication.
After research i have found that it is required to place  NETWORK TERMINATORS on vacant communication ports on all (Which in most case is two since all Xantrex devices have two Communication ports)vacant communication ports.
This system only have one network terminator ,which is on the SCP: the inverter has one communications port vacant thus he needs another network terminator to get his Xantrex SCP to function.
Am i correct or is it another issue?????
Please comment.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Termination is required on "each end" of the cable run.

On very short cables, sometimes one terminal will work (not recommended--But will not "break anything" if you only have 1 terminator handy).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mahendra
    Options
    it it possible for me to make these using a bit of network cable ,crimping tool and network connectors.If yes how?and what else do i need?
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The cables are standard ethernet cables.  Each device comes with a terminator.  They are REQUIRED at each end, and there should have been one in the original install - it would have come with the gear, but installer may have tossed it as not needed (at that time)
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016 #5
    Options
    If you connect the 2 devices they should work if a 2 meter + network cable is between the 2 devices.
    Short cables can be an issue!
    The terminators make communication reliable. Since you said there is nothing, I would say one of the devices is "not quite right"
    When in doubt always follow instructions.
    Dumb looks are still free!

"we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• mahendra
    Options
    thanks guys installers did tossed .Did not understood the use .But the cable is  125 feet cable and as i mentioned th panel has never functioned.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You are on the edge of how far the xanbus can run.
    You are going to have to sub one of the devices one at a time to nail this one.
    The other way is to get a  3 Meter network cable and move one of the devices closer to eliminate a bad cable.
    As I said before the terminator should not be required to test but is needed to work reliably.  Good Luck!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net