Craftsman 800A clamp meter on sale

Options

I noticed today that the Sears Craftsman Professional 73756 clamp-on meter is on sale for only $69.99.   That's not much more than the 400A meter that several folk here use and recommend for basic PV system measurements.   I bought a 73756 a few weeks ago for $99.99 less a $10 coupon, so I was happy with the price (at least, until today!), but it was missing its thermocouple probe  -  I called Sears Technical Help and they happily shipped one to me for free.   What's interesting is that it was sent from Extech in Nashua NH, so I guess they make that model of Sears meter.   What I like about it is its 800A rating (so I can check my bus's starter cables), its true RMS reading, and a peak hold that can detect transients as brief as 1 mS, and its type K thermocouple that will be useful for checking the accuracy of my bus's temperature gauges (I don't trust my non-contact IR thermometer that give inconsistent readings).   For only $70 now it seems like a really good deal.

John

40' Crown bus with 2kW of tiltable panels on the roof:

Eight Sharp 255W, two Morningstar TS-MPPT-60, Magnum MS2000, Champion C46540 generator converted to propane, eight golfcart batteries, and maybe a small Exeltech inverter for the fridger.

Southern California

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Is this in stores, or online catalog sales ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Iceni John
    Iceni John Solar Expert Posts: 103 ✭✭
    Options

I've not been into my local Sears store to check, but I suspect it's for online sales only.   When I bought mine I got the last one they had, and they told me it was discontinued in the stores, but sometimes the sales dudes don't always have the correct information!

John

40' Crown bus with 2kW of tiltable panels on the roof:

Eight Sharp 255W, two Morningstar TS-MPPT-60, Magnum MS2000, Champion C46540 generator converted to propane, eight golfcart batteries, and maybe a small Exeltech inverter for the fridger.

Southern California