Battery Cable & Inverter cables

Zakarume
Zakarume Solar Expert Posts: 143 ✭✭
I am going to redo my battery bank and inverter cables next month. I am also going to upgrade to the Midnite classic 150. Been doing some research on cables and from what i can tell on a 24v system using around 600 watts an hour i need 6AWG size cable for the inverter, but battery i cant find. I need to if 2AWG would be ok for overall use. And where could i get the cables and lugs?
1460 Watts Solar @24v. 675 AH Battery Bank using 12 6v Trojan T-105. 1 Midnite Classic 150. 1500 Watt 24v Samlex Pure Sine Inverter

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NAWS (this forums host) sells cable, lugs and pre-made cables.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• oil pan 4
    oil pan 4 Solar Expert Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016 #3

When sizing solar I say go with the best case scenario amp production, then go one size bigger.

Same thing with the batteries, if the inverter needs 2 gauge go with 1 gauge.

That way at least when you upgrade or add some panels you don't have to rip out all the wiring and redo it.

Best place to get wire is your local hard ware store. They will have tons of 2 and 4 gauge THHN wire, that is the kind of wire that retains it shape after you bend it. Use as much THHN as you can its a lot cheaper than flex cable of the same size.

Then where you need flexible cable go to your local welding store, they should have cheapest flex cable in sizes from 4 gauge all the way up to at least 0 gauge. The welding shop should have lugs and should be able to put them on for you with the proper crimp tool.

Do not go to tractor supply, northern tool, harbor freight for welding cable, they typically sell it for at least double what the local welding store sells it at.

For example my local welding store has very nice 4 gauge flex cable for $1.58 per foot and tractor supply has not as good 4 gauge cable for $5 per foot.

My self, I try to buy wire from the local scrap yard. We have a lot of crack heads around here who will steal wire and sell it to the scrap yard still on the roll a lot of times. Then I buy it from the scrap yard. I can get new 4 gauge THHN wire still on the roll for like 20 cents a foot.

Solar hybrid gasoline generator, 7kw gas, 180 watts of solar, Morningstar 15 amp MPPT, group 31 AGM, 900 watt kisae inverter.

Solar roof top GMC suburban, a normal 3/4 ton suburban with 180 watts of panels on the roof and 10 amp genasun MPPT, 2000w samlex pure sine wave inverter, 12v gast and ARB air compressors.

• zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭
    Dont guess, or worse, rely on the manual. Hit up the voltage drop calculator and get both the battery and CC cables under 0.1 or 0.2V drop. The PV doenst matter as much, 3 percent is fine.
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beware, that the welding cable is not UL listed for power cables, and that the fine strands need a crimp connector rated for the fine strands. 
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• zoneblue
    I dont know about where you are, but here the correct cable and crimps are to be found at trade electrical suppy houses. "Welding cable" has got better over the years, and is now pretty much akin to the 600/1000V double insulated stuff that you get from the trade supplies.

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    edited January 2016 #7
    And to clarify, the "fine strand" welding cable is larger in diameter than the normal solid and course stranded wire used in house/building wiring. You need crimp connectors (and die sets) that can take the larger diameter welding cable and crimp down tight (correctly) to get the air gaps out of the cable.

Standard building wiring crimps generally do not work well on welding cable (and neither do screw terminals found on many circuit breakers and such).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016 #8
    My crimping tool is just gathering dust.  You can buy high quality pre-made battery cables from Wind & Sun and my supplier even warranties the UL listed  pre-mades.  I can't make them that fast anymore and save that energy for 1.75 liters of blended whiskey!

Bill, I am saving some.....
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• zoneblue
    Spoilsport :)

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Hmm, maybe I will take a day trip to your place next month. ... Have some free time coming up.

Not a big drinker, but I may take a shot to see what it is like Dave.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Dave Angelini
    Waterfalls up in Yosemite national park should be magnificent then.  We are not big drinkers either and still stop a few months just to make sure.
     But, I do always remember what Frank Sinatra said, " I feel sorry for people who never take a drink, when they get up in the morning, that is the best they will feel all day"

• Xizang
    Xizang Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭
    Dave, you're a man after my own heart.  I often forget to even have my customary dinner cocktail, but when I do have one, it's a good quality vodka.  Vodka-tonics are best, but there's a lot to be said for vodka martinis.  Shaken, not stirred.

And I used to live and work in the Fresno area, and driven a short day-trip to Yosemite just to see what the off season tourist activity is.
  • Dave Angelini
    Well come for a visit and I will sell you a system and of course we will have a Martini. I like them dirty BTW.  We kind of run a bed and breakfast for offgrid here. Alot of men have to convince their wives or SO's that offgrid is possible. It was the same way in my sailing days with convincing the SO about leaving the dock for 3+ years.
     I was the weird one then as it was my wife who had to convince me.

The latest park news is the Bozo's at the national park service  (the feds) let a private company get the rights to the names of all the iconic places like Yosemite Falls, The Awahnnee hotel, ElCapitan, etc. All the signs will have new names and millions of dollars down the drain.

I am so not saving the good wine anymore...

So where is home now Xizang?

• Zakarume
    Zakarume Solar Expert Posts: 143 ✭✭
    Decided to go with 2/0 cable for the batteries and 2 ga from batteries to inverter
    1460 Watts Solar @24v. 675 AH Battery Bank using 12 6v Trojan T-105. 1 Midnite Classic 150. 1500 Watt 24v Samlex Pure Sine Inverter