Outback Radian Grid Zero Mode

Wxboy
Wxboy Solar Expert Posts: 70 ✭✭✭✭
I just got my Radian GS4048A wired into the house through a sub panel and I want to try out the different operating modes but I'm having trouble getting Grid Zero mode to work. The Radian should use battery power until the batteries reach a low voltage set point or a pre-set load limit and then it calls on the grid for assistance. When I turn the mode on it just passes through grid power and doesn't invert. Mini Grid is operating as I would expect where it uses battery power until it drops to a set voltage and then it switches to grid. Anyone with a Radian know if there is another setting that has to be on or off to get the Grid Zero mode to funtion? I'm sure there is something simple that I'm missing.

Comments

• verdigo
    verdigo Solar Expert Posts: 428 ✭✭
    Re: Outback Radian Grid Zero Mode

Perhaps the battery bank current/voltage sags and there is not enough PV to make up for it to begin selling.
  • Wxboy
    Wxboy Solar Expert Posts: 70 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Outback Radian Grid Zero Mode

After talking to a couple of different people at Outback I learned that Grid Zero will pass through grid power until the loads exceed approximately one amp(@240v). At higher loads it will use a mix of grid power and battery/renewable energy to power the loads. The mix of power can be adjusted in the settings. I was trying to test grid zero with too small a load so it wasn‘t inverting. I have since tested it with higher loads and it is working.
  • inMichigan
    inMichigan Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭
    I've been experimenting with grid-zero mode as well. I don't like the mini-grid mode, because it doesn't limit the current draw placed upon the batteries. With a ~1500+ watt house load, the system prefers to draw from the grid instead of the PV. If I switch to Mini-Grid, it inverts from the battery and PV carries the load. As soon as I switch to Grid-Zero, it stops inverting Dc and goes into pass thru from the grid. From OpticsRE, I see a AC grid current limit of 5 AAC... yet from the MATE3, I can't find the same parameter. I suspect this 5 amps is the key. If I have very small loads, say ~1000 watts, it seems to work properly. If I could find this Grid Current Limit AAC, as seen here:
    2015-08-02%20grid%20input%20AC%20limit-L.jpg
    within the setup, I change it asap.

Anybody know where it is?
    42 SP-335's (14.1kw) ->   4 FLEXmax 80's /  5kWh using 17 CA100 CALB cells /  FLEXnet DC  /  MATE3  -> 2 Radian GS8048A and watched over by Vantage Pro 2+ PWS all running since 2015
  • mnc1
    mnc1 Registered Users Posts: 1
    Perhaps you should look at the DOD amps setting for the Grid Zero mode under Inverter settings
  • Dara
    Dara Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 11 ✭✭
     Outback Radian Grid Zero Mode

Hi,
    I just got GS7048E,
    I want to use it in Grid Zero mode.
    But I don't know this mode can be charge the battery bank from the Grid or not?
    please help?

Regards,
    Dara
  • Raj174
    Raj174 Solar Expert Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017 #7
    Hi Dara,
    The charging function is disabled when the Radian is in Grid Zero mode. If the battery bank has reached the DOD volts limit, then the Radian will wait for the charge controller to start charging the batteries before it will start inverting again. It's priority is to offset grid use in favor of solar production. I do grid charging with my Radian in Backup mode when I need to, like in the fairly rare case of an approaching storm and a possible loss of the grid.
    If I can be of help with any other concern, just ask.

Rick 

4480W PV, MNE175DR-TR, MN Classic 150, Outback Radian GS4048A, Mate3, 51.2V 360AH nominal LiFePO4, Kohler Pro 5.2E genset.
  • Dara
    Hi Rick,

Thank you very much for your explanation.
    anyway, could you please advise that for this gridzero mode, the inverter can work or not when grid cut off?

Dara
  • Raj174
    Hi Dara,

If the Radian is in grid zero mode and the grid gets disconnected then the Radian will function as an off grid inverter (backup mode) until the grid is restored. Of course you will need to keep an eye on available battery power and run a generator as needed.

Rick  
    4480W PV, MNE175DR-TR, MN Classic 150, Outback Radian GS4048A, Mate3, 51.2V 360AH nominal LiFePO4, Kohler Pro 5.2E genset.
  • Dara
    Hi Rick,

Thank you..
    If Radian is an off grid inverter, it's not damage by over loads?
    Total loads of house is 15KW. 
    The Radian max. capacity is 7KW.
    If no have grid support and loads run over 7KW, what happen to Radian?
    Please help to advise!!!

Dara
  • Raj174
    edited March 2017 #11
    Hi Dara,

Hopefully you do not mean the house load is 15 kW, but is 15 kWh (15 killowatt hour), which is an amount of power used in a days time that is more inline with the size inverter you have. A 15kW load is a very large load indeed, and far too large for the 7kW Radian.
    If a 15 kW load were placed on the 7kW Radian, it would immediately shutdown on a low output voltage fault to protect itself from damage. 

Rick   

• Dara
    Hi Rick,

It's a 15KW loads. so I need to separate load to met with Radian. 
    I'll test to run this system. 
    I would love ask you later if have any problem.

Thank you very much!
    Dara
  • Raj174
    Dara,

15kW is a lot of power and likely the only thing that could use that much is electric heating. If their is a 15kW load in the sub panel that the Radian services then it should probably be moved. The Radian could work with that load in grid zero, to partially offset it, but it presents other problems and is not a good design in my opinion.

Rick

• Dara
    Hi Rick,

I'm not clear about support mode.
    Could you please explain?

Thank !
    Dara

• Raj174
    edited July 2017 #15
    Hello again Dara,
    The Radian in support mode will use the inverter and battery to help start and run loads that are too large for an AC power source such as a smaller generator.

Rick
  • Dara
    Hello Rick,
    Thank !
    It not affect to inverter when Grid or generator cutoff?
    Or when the grid or generator cutoff, radian also off?

and Support mode can do the three-phase stacking?

Thank !
    Dara
  • Raj174
    Dara said:
    Hello Rick,
    Thank !
    It not affect to inverter when Grid or generator cutoff?
    Or when the grid or generator cutoff, radian also off?

and Support mode can do the three-phase stacking?

Thank !
    Dara
    Hi Dara,
    The Radian inverter will go into backup mode if the grid disconnected while in any other mode. I believe support mode is available in a three phase stacked setup, but not sure. I wouldn't think battery support would be needed with that amount of available power. For better confirmation on this, register and post your question on the Outback support forum.

http://outbackpower.com/forum/

Rick
  • Dara

Hi Rick,

I have a problem with Radian GS7048E.

I used for Backup mode. But when the grid cut off, the inverter not work.

Mate 3 massage: OUT Voltage Low Error  GS-1       ActiveFault

As picture.

Thank in advance for your help!

Dara

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the active fault?
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Raj174
    Hi Dara,
    You have to acknowledge the fault. Do this on the mate 3 by pressing events, and selecting the OUT Low Voltage Error GS-1 line. Press ACK and this will reset the fault. Then bring the system back online.

Rick 
  • Dara
    Hi Rick,
    I do like your commend but it happen again and again when grid cut off.
    Any more idea, please advise.

Thank 
    Dara 
  • Raj174
    edited October 2017 #22
    Dara,
    This error occurs when the load being placed on the inverter is too much for it to sustain a stable 230 volt output. This means that the Radian is trying to pick up a load greater than 7900 watts. Try reducing the the load and test by manually switching off grid power. Make sure the batteries are adequately charged before testing. 

Rick
  • Dara
    Hi Rick,
    I connect to loads only 0.4KW.
    Test by manually switch off grid power it still happen the same problem.
    Battery voltage 50V. 
    Low battery cut out voltage that I set 45V.

Any hardware or parameter setup problem?

Thank
    Dara 
  • Raj174
    Have you powered the inverter off and back on? 
    Has the system carried the load during previous grid outage incidents?
    If so, has anything changed since the last time the inverter was working correctly?
    I would try operation in Grid Zero, and Mini Grid modes also. 

Rick   
  • Dara
    Hi Rick,
    Yes of course I do that but no result.
    I try with and without carry the loads during grid outage but it's the same result.
    It's the new inverter that I just install,
    New setting.
    Any setting point that I missing?

I try operate in grid zero mode, but the inverter take power from grid for supply the loads. It's not converter power from battery .
  • Raj174
    Dara,
    I can't think of a setting that would keep the Radian from picking up the load. Have you set up OpticsRE system monitoring. If so, Outback tech support can look at your system remotely and help diagnose the problem. Either way you should give them a call.

Rick
  • Dara
    Hi Rick,
    I can fix its now.
    Thank for strongly support.

Dara
  • Raj174
    edited October 2017 #28
    Dara,
    You are welcome. What was the cause and solution of the problem? Others may learn from your experience.

Rick