Deleted threads come back to life

Joe Bennett
Joe Bennett Solar Expert Posts: 57 ✭✭✭✭
Due to the off topic nature of many posts in one of my recent threads, I went ahead and deleted that thread. It was resurrected by a moderator. WHY? I felt it was drifting totally off of topic and decided to eliminate it, yet it will not go away. Is it because a moderator has posted off topic posts in it? That should not be reason to keep a thread the author no longer wishes to have posted. Hope to hear an answer from the board soon. I am very disappointed with the boards action in this regard....

Joe Bennett

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Deleted threads come back to life

Joe Bennett
    Registered Guest Posts: 6

Are you logged in properly ? I cannot PM you
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Joe Bennett
    mike90045 wrote: »
    Joe Bennett
    Registered Guest Posts: 6

Are you logged in properly ? I cannot PM you

I am logged in as I normally have been. Same user name, same password, just different privileges and accesses for some mysterious reason. AHHH, the power of moderation...................

Joe
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

ahh not the power of moderation as i have not the power to do that. i brought back the thread only because i thought it may benefit posters here on the forum with the answers to the questions i posed along the lines of the subject matter you started and i did inform windsun of my actions and why. maybe if you thought more of others than yourself this wouldn't be an issue as you have not just deleted threads, but you delete all that everybody else puts into it. i did post to the one of the airplane too and you were free to delete it and you slighted everybody who posted to you. if everybody did this there wouldn't be a forum at all and that would be a shame, but i don't have the power or rights to do anything to you.

edit to add:

now if you would like me to wipe out your content in that thread i will do so, but i am letting the subject matter stand so that we on the forum can benefit in being able to post graphs, drawings, and pics. not everybody knows how to do this including my own dumb self so this knowledge will be good for the membership. if it was only for me i'd have pmed you on it.

also note that because you keep deleting your threads and posts that it took you back automatically to a registered guest, which is the bottom rung.
  • Joe Bennett
    niel wrote: »
    ahh not the power of moderation as i have not the power to do that. i brought back the thread only because i thought it may benefit posters here on the forum with the answers to the questions i posed along the lines of the subject matter you started and i did inform windsun of my actions and why. maybe if you thought more of others than yourself this wouldn't be an issue as you have not just deleted threads, but you delete all that everybody else puts into it. i did post to the one of the airplane too and you were free to delete it and you slighted everybody who posted to you. if everybody did this there wouldn't be a forum at all and that would be a shame, but i don't have the power or rights to do anything to you and i feel you do contribute so quit knocking yourself by deleting what you post.

edit to add:

now if you would like me to wipe out your content in that thread i will do so, but i am letting the subject matter stand so that we on the forum can benefit in being able to post graphs, drawings, and pics. not everybody knows how to do this including my own dumb self so this knowledge will be good for the membership. if it was only for me i'd have pmed you on it.

also note that because you keep deleting your threads and posts that it took you back automatically to a registered guest, which is the bottom rung.

Niel,

Now THAT is really BS and you saying it shows how little you actually care about others. If I did not want to assist, I would not post at all, yet I do post, and have posted much in the past. What I do not like is when someone jumps into a thread and changes its path with no concern for where it is heading. Why not start you own thread and discuss what YOU want in it? Instead, warping where anothers thread might be heading is your choice of action? If I feel that the thread that I have started is not staying on track with the topic, it should me MY right to eliminate it if I choose too. Yes, it also deletes what others may have added to the thread too, but if it is off topic, it should STILL be my choice and not that of a moderator who has posted his OWN off topic additions. Again, create another thread, feel free to move your posts there, but please leave my thread alone. Taking away the freedom of others is not the way to moderate a discussion forum, but it is the way to stop the free spread of information, and that is for sure. I have read the instructions for many of these boards, and you have many powers as a moderator, including that of banning a member if you like. I expect that I will find myself in that status soon, as I will not bow down to oppressive behavior from anyone, including a moderator. Now, if you want factual information the is ON TOPIC, that is fine with me and I would be pleased to provide any that I feel qualified to assist with. As a Journeyman Union Electrician with over 38 years experience in virtually all phases of the trade, I am pretty qualified to assist others with many aspects of technical and mechanical installations. But if you expect me to just bend over and take my medicine and not speak up when I perceive a problem, then that will not happen. I suspect you are angry with me for some reason, most likely your PM's to me asking for help and information on Pan & Tilt mounts. I gave you my suggestions and recommendations, was that not enough for you? Let's get past this and back to the task of helping OTHERS in their pursuit of solar excellence....

Joe
  • niel

i'll do you one better as i won't be dragged into a conversation with somebody like yourself who has to control every aspect of a conversation or he determines it will be off subject and it's to be deleted by you. if what i was talking about was so far off from you then nobody better talk about diodes when pvs are brought up or wires when talking about batteries in your opinion let alone talk to you.
  • Joe Bennett
    i'll do you one better as i won't be dragged into a conversation with somebody like yourself who has to control every aspect of a conversation or he determines it will be off subject and it's to be deleted by you. if what i was talking about was so far off from you then nobody better talk about diodes when pvs are brought up or wires when talking about batteries in your opinion let alone talk to you.

What? Sorry but I just cannot decipher much of what you are saying. I have absolutely no desire to control what others have said, only that they stay on topic in a thread I have taken the time to create and cultivate for that specific topic. That is NOT too much to ask at all, and others appear to have these same concerns too....

Joe
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not start you own thread and discuss what YOU want in it? Instead, warping where anothers thread might be heading is your choice of action? If I feel that the thread that I have started is not staying on track with the topic, it should me MY right to eliminate it if I choose too. Yes, it also deletes what others may have added to the thread too, but if it is off topic, it should STILL be my choice and not that of a moderator who has posted his OWN off topic additions. Again, create another thread, feel free to move your posts there, but please leave my thread alone. Taking away the freedom of others is not the way to moderate a discussion forum, but it is the way to stop the free spread of information, and that is for sure. <snip>

Uh - sometimes a thread DOES morph. When that happens, maybe a gentle nudge is more advisable, rather than wiping all the group wisdom that has developed around the core. Maybe you could ask a mod to SPLIT the thread (I don't know if they can do that)
    If you really want " your " threads left alone, maybe there is another board for that.
    Mike
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Joe Bennett

Mike,

It is now a mute point as Niel has elected to totally wipe it out. I suspect that this one will be killed too soon as his arguments have began to become more of a personal attack on me than anything else (see attached message that is now gone). I do spend time on other boards, and try to be helpful there too. On one, I have over 2000 posts, mostly build threads and helpful answers to dozens of questions other users have posed. There though, I can close a thread if it gets out of hand or begins drifting too far off topic. That is the best way to handle things. Now, Niel has totally taken things out of our hands by his choice to eliminate things he does not personally like to hear. Write him and let him know how YOU feel about this. Only that will help get things on track here again. Otherwise it will be total censorship of anything a moderator does not agree with. Do it now people....

Joe

Twisting what is said is not going to garner you any points. You know exactly what I mean. Your feelings are hurt because of some perceived slight. No one is out to get you Niel, and your personal attacks on me are being read by many others who will interpret them in whatever way they wish. My past assistance has been noted. My thoughts on this situation are there for all to see. Seems that others have questions about this issue too (see this thread), so it is not just me who is concerned with what should happen when a thread goes off topic. I have absolutely no problem with someone discussing any topic, as long as it is in a thread that is there to deal with that topic. Doesn't it make more sense for a thread to be dedicated to a specific topic rather than ramble around many others. Any good information provided in off topic comments will most likely not be available to the larger group of people simply because it cannot even be found as it is off topic to begin with.

Joe
  • niel

let it go mike as he doesn't get it. let him post his posts and he can delete, but know that to interact with him is a risk as he'll deem it to be off topic and delete the thread. gee isn't this irony as a moderator is being yelled at because he didn't allow a deletion. yes, let him own his threads and all who post to him as he will wipe it out because it isn't all him in it as any input he'll deem off topic. it's no coincidence he deletes everything he posts and he only likes to post threads he creates so that he controls it as he has done this to everyone of them so it's like he's not contributing to the forum at all and not here at all as he deletes himself. go for it. delete yourself.

hah now i'm being yelled at for deleting it as he wanted. joe, i seriousely think you're not all there. personnal vendetta? do what you want within the rules as i have no vendetta with you. have fun.
  • Joe Bennett
    let it go mike as he doesn't get it. let him post his posts and he can delete, but know that to interact with him is a risk as he'll deem it to be off topic and delete the thread. gee isn't this irony as a moderator is being yelled at because he didn't allow a deletion. yes, let him own his threads and all who post to him as he will wipe it out because it isn't all him in it as any input he'll deem off topic. it's no coincidence he deletes everything he posts and he only likes to post threads he creates so that he controls it as he has done this to everyone of them so it's like he's not contributing to the forum at all and not here at all as he deletes himself. go for it. delete yourself.

hah now i'm being yelled at for deleting it as he wanted. joe, i seriousely think you're not all there. personnal vendetta? do what you want within the rules as i have no vendetta with you. have fun.

Niel,

The continued personal attacks are beneath you. I have not attacked you in any way, shape, or form. Yet, you have stooped to doing so in your last number of posts. Why not open the feature that allows a member to simply close a thread. If that option were turned on here, I would have used it instead of going to the extreme of deleting my thread or posts. You folks are the ones that have the delete feature turned on instead of the close thread feature. Why not change from one to the other. Then, that should meet you concerns regarding loss of important information. It will all still be there, but to respond to it, you would just have to take the time to open your own thread. Win Win for all involved. Now please, either report yourself for personal attacks, or try to act like an adult and be civil in your dealings with the members here, myself included. Thanks Niel....

Joe
  • Joe Bennett

Niel,

It would seem to me that the ultimate solution to this problem is to provide the "Close Thread" option to a member to use on their own threads. Also to eliminate the "Delete Thread" option so that the whole thread is NOT wiped out. This software fully supports those "switches" being used, and is any easy fix too. You might pass it up to the board administrator(s) for review and possible action. Thanks Niel....

Joe
  • Joe Bennett

Niel,

Here is an image taken right from the vBulletin manual showing some of the permissions that can be added or stopped. Hope it helps....

Joe

usergroups-modifyforums-edit.gif
  • Joe Bennett

Any other comments on these suggestions for changes to the board? Would all be appreciated. Thanks....

Joe
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭

Some changes were made:

Users, except mods, cannot delete threads. Users can delete their own messages.

Mods now have the power to split threads, prune threads, move threads, lock or unlock threads, etc - basically I made them admins except for a few things.
  • Joe Bennett

That sounds great. Will a user be able to lock or unlock their own thread too? That seems to be where the best "cure" for stopping a topic from being hijacked would be, to allow the thread owner to close that particular thread yet not delete it. Thanks for your work on the board too....

Joe Bennett
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    That sounds great. Will a user be able to lock or unlock their own thread too? That seems to be where the best "cure" for stopping a topic from being hijacked would be, to allow the thread owner to close that particular thread yet not delete it. Thanks for your work on the board too....

Joe Bennett

No, if that needs to be done then a mod should split the thread into a new subject with the off topic messages.

I tried allowing users to lock threads before, and what happens is that someone just opens up a new one on the same subject.
  • Joe Bennett

Thanks for your modifications. Your help here is appreciated....

Joe