generator question

Options

newbie here pardon me if the post is in the wrong place and if it is then I would like for one of the mods to move it to the right thread.

chances are that I will need a generator so I am wondering what is the difference between a back up generator and a stand by generator and what type should I buy for an off the grid application to run the power suckers microwave washer you know the creature comforts

Comments

• Raj174
    Raj174 Solar Expert Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello wild_amative,
        A backup generator is usually a smaller, 2 to 6 thousand watt generator that is stored in the shed or garage that you pull out and run when the power goes out or batteries need charged. A standby generator, usually 6000 watts or larger that is permanently mounted outside the home and connected to the house's main electric panel by a transfer switch that will automatically start and supply power when power is lost or batteries need charging.
       As far as the type you would need for an off grid setup, most smaller off grid solar installations would have a backup generator. Larger installations can go either way. It's a matter of necessity, money, convenience and/or personal preference.  As far as sizing the generator, it depends on the size of the battery bank and the loads to be used when the power is out and/or charging the batteries. Sizing solar power systems and generators are based on loads. The best way to save money on power production is conservation. The more exact the estimation of your off grid power consumption the better the system will meet your needs. That way you will not be inconvenienced by spending too little or waste money by spending too much.
    4480W PV, MNE175DR-TR, MN Classic 150, Outback Radian GS4048A, Mate3, 51.2V 360AH nominal LiFePO4, Kohler Pro 5.2E genset.
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You might want to check out the small inverter types (eg Honda eu2000, good for ~13aac).  Quiet, efficient, and easy to move around.  I also have a diesel, but the little honda runs pretty much anything I need except water pump.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • wild_amative
    wild_amative Registered Users Posts: 6
    Options
    Estragon said:
    You might want to check out the small inverter types (eg Honda eu2000, good for ~13aac).  Quiet, efficient, and easy to move around.  I also have a diesel, but the little honda runs pretty much anything I need except water pump.
    iv'e been eyeing down the yamaha inverter gen sets. they seem to get better reveiews as far as being more fuel efficient plus they have a gas cut off switch that allows the unit to run untill the carb is empty unlike the hondas. but there both great units!! 
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've heard good things about the yamaha too - don't know if they were available locally when I bought the honda.  I always add fuel stabilizer like seafoam or run the honda to empty for storage, but a fuel cutoff might be useful.  Not sure about the yamaha, but I really like that the honda makes it easy to change oil with a spout to direct the oil to a pan.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter