best battery for off grid application

wild_amative
wild_amative Registered Users Posts: 6
newbie here. I am looking to go off the grid and I am wondering what the best battery is for storing power?? and what's the best way to figure out how big of a system you will need since I will be moving into a smaller house than what I am in now??

Comments

• zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, welcome to the NAWs forum.

But... whats the best car? How big a garage do you need? Kinda big questions.

Maybe tell us what your needs are, and your budgebt, and well see what we can do.
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

• wild_amative
    :)  well hell there's no answer to what's the best car except something safe and reliable and gets you from point A to point B!! i'm looking to power a 500 SQ FT house for atleast 4 days off the grid my budget is 50 k probily over kill. I was thinking of getting some Trojan AGM golf cart batteries but I was reading on here that some batteries can cost almost 600 bucks!! i'm probily looking atleast a 10k system and a generator. I do know one thing is that I have to cut down on my power usage and go with LED lights and 12 volt appliances to keep the draw low. though I will have a few power suckers like a microwave coffee pot I hear that satellite receivers are power suckers to from another post on here with someone that has directv
  • South Africa
    South Africa Solar Expert Posts: 295 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2016 #4
    In terms of solar systems it boils down to needs and wants. What do you need is cheaper than what you want.

First reduce (for this can cost a small fortune on its own) then answer: What is the load you want powered, the actual watts, and the hours on, in the 4 days off grid ... as Bill and the others will start asking you, so get that answer so long.  :D
    5kVA Victron Multiplus II, 5.2kW array, 14kWh DIYLifepo4 bank, all grid-tied.

• littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just my 2 cents here. If you must use electricity for making coffee, as soon as it is finished brewing pour it into a insulated carafe and shut off the maker. They do make drip coffee makers that pretty much work on this idea but it would probably be cheaper to buy a "basic" machine and supply your own carafe.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
    There seem to be one hundred ways to destroy a battery bank. I recommend starting off with the most inexpensive solar battery bank. That would be golf cart batteries. Expect 3-6 years or so. They can handle most of the abuse that they will receive.

When your golf cart batteries start going bad, it would be time to start looking at purebred solar batteries which are quite expensive. A few years in the future we will also know more about the viability of newer lithium $olar batteries. Forklift batteries are also fantastic but quite dangerous and difficult to move.

First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • wild_amative
    softdown said:
    There seem to be one hundred ways to destroy a battery bank. I recommend starting off with the most inexpensive solar battery bank. That would be golf cart batteries. Expect 3-6 years or so. They can handle most of the abuse that they will receive.

When your golf cart batteries start going bad, it would be time to start looking at purebred solar batteries which are quite expensive. A few years in the future we will also know more about the viability of newer lithium $olar batteries. Forklift batteries are also fantastic but quite dangerous and difficult to move.
    do you have any links for the purebred batteries

• softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
    Just search for solar batteries. Our host, AW&S, may be a good place to consider. Solar batteries may costs three times as much and last twice as long. You will get respect and that is what men crave.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries