New forum software is live - report any errors, bugs, or issues here.

Comments

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    While we're doing feature requests...
    please fix your email notification system.  I would like to get one email when there have been new postings to a thread that I subscribe to.   I have email notification turned off now because I was getting an email for EACH new posting... I only need one email to tell me to check on a particular thread.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
    I've seen that on other forums, yes.  You don't get another email until you visit that thread again.
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    I have sent that email notification request to our support person.

Along with improved editor (theme changes are also our responsibility. ... additional costs).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • techntrek

Interesting, here at work the WYSIWYG buttons all appear to be blank, as I mentioned in an earlier post.  But that is not why I popped in here.  I think I found bugs that are related.

When you hover over the date of each post (just below the poster's name) you can see it is supposed to allow you to link directly to that post.  That link for the first post in a thread is formatted differently from all the rest.  It would appear that if you click on the link on the first post it should take you to the beginning of the thread (the first post).  But it doesn't, it takes you to the bottom of the last page.  Next, if you hover over the link at the bottom of the page to go to page 1, the link is formatted almost the same, but it adds "/p1" to the end.  For me, that takes me to the bottom of the first page and not the top.  So I don't see any way to link to the top of the first page.  Finally, if you hover over the link for any other post on the page the link is formatted differently and would appear to let you link directly to that comment.  For me, sometimes it does, sometimes it jumps to the bottom.

• BB.
    Vanilla uses AJAX.googleapis.com (and perhaps solar-electric.com) for browser scripting. If you have AJAX blocked (noscript) or turned on scripting in the browser, some of this stuff may not work.

Regarding linking, for example this thread, the page #1 points here:

http://forum.solar-electric.com/discussion/349832/new-forum-software-is-live-report-any-errors-bugs-or-issues-here/p1

And takes me to the top of the page... But does not for you?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016 #247
    Bill, I have noticed a bug just now...

I quoted a previous post and started to add my comment , outside the Quote area.  I made a typo and when I removed it I could no longer type in the external area , but my comment was showing up INSIDE the Quote area.  I had to back out and restart the whole process.. 
    Hope this is fixable, It is a bit hard to discern what is a quote and what is new comment as some add below and others above the Quote...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    I quoted a previous post and started to add my comment , outside the Quote area.  I made a typo and when I removed it I could no longer type in the external area , but my comment was showing up INSIDE the Quote area.  I had to back out and restart the whole process.. 
    That's happened to me a few times.  There is a button that toggles the html view... I used that to get back to normal.   It appears to be a common problem... quite a few forum members put their new comments in the quote box.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • BB.
    Yea.... I have written a long missive to our support person that, in the end, all "we" see is what is on our screen. The under-laying database, the neat method of them hosting forums on their servers (NAWS does not need to do server maintenance now), etc. is all very nice--But, in the end, what is on the screen (tools, editors, formatting, etc.) is what people are going to make their judgments on.

An upgraded editor--I am really pushing for that. Probably will not happen "soon" (more than a few months, at least).

-Bill
  • David and Laura
    David and Laura Solar Expert Posts: 139
    Haven’t been on for some time (busy at work), but upon our return, we notice a couple of issues:

1. Our use name (which has an “&” in it) really gives the forum software heartburn
    2. Attached images in our posts don’t seem to render any more. It appears that all the images have been moved off-site to rackspace’s CDN, and are no longer at the old URLs.
    3. Whenever we type anything in a text box post (even using the arrow keys), it scrolls to the top of the page. Only return doesn’t do this. Very annoying.
    4. Signatures seem to be gone, too. Does this need to be re-entered?

—David & Laura

House: 2x SMA SI 6048 w 24x 2V DEKA Unigy II; 2x SMA SB 3000TL-US w 24x Sharp ND-H235Q2
    Cabin: 1x Magnum MS4024 w 24x 2V DEKA Unigy II; 1x Morningstar TS-MPPT-60 w 6x Sharp ND-H235Q2; 1x 200 Watt Harris microhydro
    Intertie: 1x SMA WB 3800; 1x Lambda GEN-600 DC Supply; 2x PSL pQube
  • BB.
    edited January 2016 #251
    If you are using something like Stop Script, you need to allow scripts from solar-electric.com and ajax.googleapis.com

Signatures need to be added via the edit profile/signatures ("gear" upper right):

http://forum.solar-electric.com/profile/signature

And for problem about photographs, if you can post a link to a post or comment, I can have them look at it.

Lastly, for your user name, I will ask our guy to look at it... I am not sure if they can fix the software or it will need to become David and Laura (or similar) instead...

-Bill

PS: I guess you may have problems doing your signature until the "fix" is done to your name (I cannot access your profile easily--I will not try and hack my way in--And possibly mess-up the database).
  • David and Laura

No script blockers running, so that’s not the cause. I'll just write my posts in a text editor, and paste them in for now, until I figure out what triggers it.

It looks like I can re-add my old signature, so I'll do that shortly.

An example of a thread where the photographs are messed up is http://forum.solar-electric.com/discussion/24155/gulf-island-off-grid-system-part-6-solar-expansion-intertie

I may be able to fix them manually by updating the URLs to point to rackspace manually.

As for the user name, it seems to just prevent me from displaying my main user page, so right now, no need to change the account name.

Thanks for the response!

House: 2x SMA SI 6048 w 24x 2V DEKA Unigy II; 2x SMA SB 3000TL-US w 24x Sharp ND-H235Q2
    Cabin: 1x Magnum MS4024 w 24x 2V DEKA Unigy II; 1x Morningstar TS-MPPT-60 w 6x Sharp ND-H235Q2; 1x 200 Watt Harris microhydro
  • BB.
    The forum software is still having problems with the &, so I think to support folks are going to have to change it to "David and Laura"... If your login fails at some point, try that instead.

If things change otherwise, I will use your email address to notify you of the new login ID.

-Bill
  • BB.
    David, your ID is now "David and Laura".

-Bill
  • David and Laura
    And we can now access our user profile page.

Thank you!
  • westbranch
    Bill, every time I click on this thread it only takes me to the first post even though I have looked at it many times, last time was yesterday I think...??  A bug?

CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
  • Mountain Don
    Mountain Don Solar Expert Posts: 494 ✭✭✭

I don't have that issue. I usually right click and open in a new tab, and this one opened right to the last post today.  Win10 / Chrome
    Northern NM, 624 watts PV, The Kid CC, GC-2 batteries @ 24 VDC, Outback VFX3524M
  • BB.
    Westbranch, this is the link I use to get to the end of thread:

http://forum.solar-electric.com/discussion/349832/new-forum-software-is-live-report-any-errors-bugs-or-issues-here#latest

Over the last few days, anyone seeing:

1. login "lost"
    2. clicking on link takes you to "older posts" (not always to beginning of thread like Westbranch)

I have seen this both on desktop and Android phone.

-Bill
  • westbranch
    Bill I should have added that it happens when using the "Recent Discussions " button to see what is new, and it hows up as new for me... I'll try to remember all key strokes next time...

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016 #260

FWIW,

This Thread is out of chronological order,   the way I see it,  and by the way that I accessed it:

http://forum.solar-electric.com/discussion/350234/new-system-install-outback-gs8048-final-items-before-startup#latest

Posts from 1/14,  followed three posts from 1/13,  then two posts from 1/15,  and then,   five posts from 1/13,  followed by two more posts from 1/15 ...  makes this thread IMPOSSIBLE  to follow,  and because the time that previous day's posts are DELETED by Vanilla,  one cannot even tell if the chronology within a single noted date is correct.

Are we going in reverse,   now?     ...   Vic,  where it is still today --  1/15/16

Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • BB.
    Thank you Vic,

Something is definitely broken. I have submitted a bug report.

-Bill
  • westbranch

• BB.
    It is happening to me too... And the problems in this thread are repeatable. Hopefully, it will be easy for our support folks to find and fix.

-Bill
  • westbranch
    Great, I thought it might just be me on a Snowy Sat morning...

• westbranch
    Bil, looks like there is a double post here, just that Resthome made a typo correction in the last line...
    http://forum.solar-electric.com/discussion/350138/minimum-load-xantrex-prowatt-sw-2000#latest

• BB.
    Thank you Eric. Fixed.

-Bill
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    BB. said:
    Thank you Vic,

Something is definitely broken. I have submitted a bug report.

-Bill

Hi Bill,  as usual  Thank You very much for all of your time and effort for the benefit of the community.   Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • BB.
    My pleasure Vic.

-Bill
  • westbranch
    Bill, last post  with picture of re-setable CB in http://forum.solar-electric.com/discussion/24929/fuse-between-inverter-and-load#latest
    is where it is taking me to every time now....  something to do with the attachment?
    EJ

• techntrek
    edited January 2016 #270
    BB. said:
    Vanilla uses AJAX.googleapis.com (and perhaps solar-electric.com) for browser scripting. If you have AJAX blocked (noscript) or turned on scripting in the browser, some of this stuff may not work.

Regarding linking, for example this thread, the page #1 points here:

http://forum.solar-electric.com/discussion/349832/new-forum-software-is-live-report-any-errors-bugs-or-issues-here/p1

And takes me to the top of the page... But does not for you?

-Bill
    It is possible something is blocked at work, we are behind an iron curtain firewall.

As I noted, sometimes I go to the top, sometimes the bottom.  At this point the link you posted took me to the top.

I was logged off, which you asked about.

Typing in this text box has a lag if I type too fast.

As someone else noticed, embedded images in posts are now broken.  Example:  http://forum.solar-electric.com/discussion/comment/157599/#Comment_157599
  • BB.
    OK, got one answer here (I think). The "Out of Order" discussions and the positioning at the "wrong place" in a thread (not, apparently at the next unread post).

It turns out this is a "feature" of the software, I think, when somebody "promotes" a post--It becomes a "Best Answer" post. Then all "best answer posts" are now moved to the "front of the thread" and all "normal posts" are posted later in the thread.

And, this (as far as I can tell), means your "next unread" post can be "in the middle" of the discussion, or at the end of the thread, depending if the next unread post is is a "promoted post" or not.

Unless some folks here disagree with me, I have requested that this whole "best answer"/post sorting function either a), not change sorting order (the forum theme can "highlight" promoted answers--But I really don't care either way), or b) turn off "promoting" completely to stop this "out of order sorting". My belief is that this out of order sorting just "kills" discussions (very confusing at to what you questions/answers you have a comment about).

-Bill
This discussion has been closed.