SG - WAY OFF THE CHARTS!

morpho
morpho Solar Expert Posts: 176 ✭✭✭
Hi,
Hoping someone will have a word of advice on my issue.

I found out late morning that my battery monitor kicked the bucket on me 3 days ago. (Magnum ME-BMK. )
Also noted the system was in float. (impossible as it was too early in the day.)
I put it into force bulk...it rolled into absorb right away. (which would have been normal for that time of day)
Checked the SG...not charged, but close.

Ok...I have been operating without the BMK for 2 days now, so I am looking under the hood daily to check things manually.
I get home today and open her up, take a sample and the bulb is floating high...real high...like off the chart high. (normally I see it settled at just barely 1.260)

I look at CC...it says floating...it had the 3 hours of absorb and about an hour of float under it's belt. The norm.

Any words of advice?
Thanks.

Outback Flexmax 60 CC
Magnum MS-PAE Inverter
Magnum ME-RC50 remote
ME-BMK batt-monitor
8 - US 2200xc 232amp hour (48v)

11.5 kw array  -  3 - midnite solar classic 200's   -  Magnum MS-PAE Inverter  -  Magnum ME-RC50 remote  -  ME-BMK batt-monitor  -  8 DEKA Solar GC15 230amp hour (48v) - Yamaha ef3000ise - 1 confused look on face

Comments

• inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015 #2
    Do you know from the manufacturer what the nominal fully charged SG is for their batteries?

PS: Some manufacturers also ship a "tropical" variant with a lower SG.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • morpho
    Hi Inetdog
    No, I don't know to be honest...but these have been in service for 5 years and have performed in a steady and reliable way...until today.

When I say the reading was off the chart...I mean the bottom of the gauge/scale was way out of the electrolyte by about 1/4 inch on every cell. 
    11.5 kw array  -  3 - midnite solar classic 200's   -  Magnum MS-PAE Inverter  -  Magnum ME-RC50 remote  -  ME-BMK batt-monitor  -  8 DEKA Solar GC15 230amp hour (48v) - Yamaha ef3000ise - 1 confused look on face
  • morpho
    Dug into my files and the battery should have an SG of 1.270 minimum. I have never hit that mark, regardless of absorption times or running an Equalize on the batteries etc. 
  • morpho
    SG.jpg 61.7K
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What was the thermal adjustment ?  The temperature affects the measured density.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Surfpath
    Surfpath Solar Expert Posts: 463 ✭✭✭
    Hi Morpho,
    Could you give us a little more on your system specs.  How do you charge these batteries?  Solar?  How many Watts?
    5 years - not bad.  According to the specs (see link below).  At 30% depth of discharge it's anticipated they will last ~5-6 years.

Other factors impact this timeframe.  What has been the typical SOC at the end of the day if they were not getting up to the recommended 1.270 mark?  How long have you been absorbing them, and at what voltage? 
    Best,
    SP

http://usbattery.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/usb_2200_data_2015_WEB.pdf

Outback Flexpower 1 (FM80, VFX3048E-230v, Mate, FlexNetDC) 2,730watts of "Grid-type" PV, 370 AmpHrs Trojan RE-B's, Honda 2000 watt genny, 100% off grid.
  • morpho
    Hey Mike,
    The battery bank was reading 83ºF that day.... which I can appreciate as they were obviously WAY WAY over-charging. So, just a scratch past the baseline commonly used . Typically I fall almost spot on at 80ºF
    But I hope temp wouldn't float the bulb almost right out of the electrolyte!

Hey Surfpath,
    - It's PV charged (3kw)
    - Typical discharge is 15 - 20% (this has been - more or less - religiously maintained)
    - The typical SG reading at "100%" SOC is 1.260 - 1.265
    - Absorb has been 3 hours at 58.8 volts.

Thanks folks!
  • Mountain Don
    Mountain Don Solar Expert Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2015 #9
    Does it float to 1.0000 in plain distilled water?  Temperature corrected too
    Northern NM, 624 watts PV, The Kid CC, GC-2 batteries @ 24 VDC, Outback VFX3524M
  • morpho
    Hold the presses!
    Ok....so I went to check the SG this morning before the system turned on and I spotted that the bottom of the glass bulb was broken. A wedge was gone and the weights were coming out of the bottom. So there you go....sigh....nobody said it wasn't going to be an adventure!

Thanks.
  • zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭
    Aint life fun. Back in my miltary days, i was like 16 years old out on this exercise in the mountains. It was a total white out, everybody was getting cold, and the commanding officer, hes on at me to make a quick decision about our bearing off the top of this peak. My compass was giving me a reading that just didnt feel right, and i hesitated. So finally he just charges off in the direction that i also felt was right, but was 90 degrees off the course the compass said. Several hours later finally admitting the error we all returned to the top and followed the compass and quickly  found the correct spur. Turned out we had kind of cork screwed our way up that hill in the mist, and while i thought my compass must have got demagnetised somehow, it was actually our eyes tracking the light as we climbed that was at fault. So it can go both ways!
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

• morpho
    Hi Zoneblue,
    Why didn't you just use your smartphone!!??!!?? (tongue planted firmly in cheek)
    Ya, I ran out to the hardware store first thing this morning and picked up a new Hydrometer. Then I proceeded to question if it was accurate. Winding my way around the mountain in the mist.

Thanks everyone.