Putting on a new roof

Options
I'm having solar panels installed on my roof but the roof is old and needs to be replaced before the solar panels are installed. I've read somewhere that it is better to install the railing system while the new roof is being installed. Is this true or should I just have the racks installed when the solar panels are installed?

Thanks,
Chuckc

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: Putting on a new roof

You might wish to ask the roofers... Mine was installed after the roofers were gone--the installers simply took a drill and found the rafters. Simply added lots of sealant around holes and mounts...

I guess I will have to tell you in 38 years as to weather or not the roof remains leak free (no leaks yet).

My panels cover most of my south facing roof and have dramatically reduced the temperatures in my poorly vented attic... So, it is possible that my roof may last a long time just from the shading/reduced temperatures.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I had my roof (15 years into 30 year shingles) done before the solar, had the PV crew mark and install the mount posts. Then the roofers came, put on jacks, new shingles over the old, and they sealed it all up. Then the other doofsus came by and drilled a 1.5" hole for condouit thru the new roof. Bastard.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Roderick
    Roderick Solar Expert Posts: 253 ✭✭
    Options
    chuckc wrote: »
    ...I've read somewhere that it is better to install the railing system while the new roof is being installed. Is this true or should I just have the racks installed when the solar panels are installed?

Thanks,
    Chuckc

YES, absolutely get your installers to work with the roofers. They should be quite accustomed to doing this.

When the roof is off, the solar installer can see exactly where the rafters are, and will have an easy time securing their standoffs to those rafters. Also, if the installer's people follow behind the roofers as the sheathing is put on the roof, the installers can be sure to get first crack at putting their lag screws into the rafters. If the roofer puts all the nails in first, then the solar people will have to try to avoid these nails. The standoff for rails will hold the sheathing better than a nail in that same place, so it should be little sacrifice to have the roofers nail down AFTER each standoff is in.

Also, if the solar standoffs go under the final surface, then they will be easy to flash like a regular vent. If you wait until the final roofing surface is up, then you'll either need to peel off / remove roofing material, or more likely, just settle for drilling holes through, and putting silicone sealer in as best as possible - not as good, in my opinion, if you can avoid it.