Ceiling fans

petertearai
petertearai Solar Expert Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2015 in Energy Use & Conservation #1
Hi looking at a energy efficient ceiling fan . Aeration or bigasss . or other . Any experience with these . Or any other suggestions.
Regards Peter 
2225 wattts pv . Outback 2kw  fxr pure sine inverter . fm80 charge controller . Mate 3. victron battery monitor . 24 volts  in 2 volt Shoto lead carbon extreme batterys. off grid  holiday home 

Comments

• Alex
    Alex Registered Users Posts: 12
    Did you mean Aeratron? A friend of mine has the AE3 I think. He's very happy with it. And much cheaper than the Haiku if I'm not mistaken.
  • petertearai
    Yes   Sorry I did mean Aeratron.
    2225 wattts pv . Outback 2kw  fxr pure sine inverter . fm80 charge controller . Mate 3. victron battery monitor . 24 volts  in 2 volt Shoto lead carbon extreme batterys. off grid  holiday home 
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Here are a couple older fan threads on the forum:

DC Ceiling Fans Worth It?

Awesome Ceiling Fan; FYI

holmes twin fan

If you want to search for more--You can use the "site:" tag on Google (site: limits searches to one website):
    • site:solar-electric.com dc ceiling fans icarus
    -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • petertearai
    Thanks Bill , 
  • Hill_Country
    Hill_Country Solar Expert Posts: 96 ✭✭
    For what it's worth, we are off-grid in Texas and we purchased three Nextek Vari-Cyclone DC ceiling fans for cooling (we do not have A/C...just passive solar design with some strategically placed venting windows, no west-facing windows, etc...but that's a whole other story).  Anyway, the Vari-Cyclone ceiling fans are pure DC and are indoor/outdoor rated, which is nice.  We don't have A/C, as I mentioned, so our indoor humidity levels can get somewhat high in the summer, which means that an indoor fan's blades can begin to droop!

We have several 24 volt DC circuits in our place and these fans barely use any power...something around 18 watts on high.  On high they push a fair amount of air, but nowhere near a "blast".  The manufacturer does highly recommend the use of the 12v/24v speed controller for controlling the speed.  Without the speed controller you really only get one speed and no reverse, so it's totally worth it.

In terms of quality/cost...one fan plus one speed controller ran us about $320 total, plus shipping.  We were NOT impressed with the quality of the product when it arrived and was first set up, as all three fans wobble slightly and/or make noise at certain speeds.  We tried fan balancing kits, and various other remedies, and worked with Nextek over several months to solve the problem.  However, the only thing that made a marginal improvement (still some wobble and some slight noise) was making sure the Vari-cyclone fans had four blades instead of three (they sell them in three and four bladed versions...same price).  Nextek's support, however, was great and they did a good job supporting their product. So, mediocre product quality, but great customer service.

Hopefully this helps you out...

100% Off-grid with: 8 Solarworld 275 Watt Panels, 8 Concorde SunXtender 405aH 6v AGM Batteries, MS-4448PAE 48v Inverter, MidNite Solar Classic 200 Charge Controller, 10,000 gallon rainwater collection system, etc.
  • Thom
    Thom Solar Expert Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
    Off grid since 1984. 430w of panel, 300w suresine , 4 gc batteries 12v system, Rogue mpt3024 charge controller , air breeze windmill, Mikita 2400w generator . Added 2@ 100w panel with a midnight brat 
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    I wish I could find the link again, but ideally for best efficiency with minimum noise you really want the largest possible fan you can fit in, no smaller than 56 inches.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • Anawa
    Anawa Solar Expert Posts: 225 ✭✭✭
    I have 5 Aeratron's and they are great. Bought them about a year ago from Home Depot, but they don't carry the unit any more. Apparently they were phasing them out and I was able to buy them for less than $200 ea.

At medium speed, they only draw about 8-9 watts and they move a lot of air. If you can find them at a reasonable price, I would suggest to buy'em. 

Paul
    in Georgia
    Paul 
    in Georgia

System 1: PV- 410w Evergreen, Mppt- Blue Sky Solar Boost, Batt - 225ah Deka AGM, 12v led house lighting,
    System 2: PV- 215w Kyocera, PWM - Morningstar PS30, Batt- 225ah Deka GC's, 12v led house lighting, Dankoff 12v water pump,
    System 3: PV- 1.5kw Kyocera, Grundfos 11 SQF well pump, 3000 gal above ground water storage, dom water & irrigation,
    System 4: PV- 6.1kw Kyocera, Mppt- Outback FM80-2ea, Inverter- Outback FX3648-2ea, Batt- 804ah GB traction, Grundfos BMQE booster pump 240v, Mitsibushi mini-splits 240v, 18k and 15k
  • petertearai
    got an aeratron fan  .. cost arm and leg .. But marvelous  measured 18 watts on full . 11watts on half . Fantastic air flow.
  • Anawa
    Anawa Solar Expert Posts: 225 ✭✭✭
    Has anyone visiting you commented on these fans? They are definitely efficient and look very interesting. 
    Paul 
    in Georgia

System 1: PV- 410w Evergreen, Mppt- Blue Sky Solar Boost, Batt - 225ah Deka AGM, 12v led house lighting,
    System 2: PV- 215w Kyocera, PWM - Morningstar PS30, Batt- 225ah Deka GC's, 12v led house lighting, Dankoff 12v water pump,
    System 3: PV- 1.5kw Kyocera, Grundfos 11 SQF well pump, 3000 gal above ground water storage, dom water & irrigation,
    System 4: PV- 6.1kw Kyocera, Mppt- Outback FM80-2ea, Inverter- Outback FX3648-2ea, Batt- 804ah GB traction, Grundfos BMQE booster pump 240v, Mitsibushi mini-splits 240v, 18k and 15k
  • petertearai
    hi . only comment is wow that looks good. And that is a good breeze.
  • jonr
    jonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭

I am available for custom hardware/firmware development

• aishasingh
    aishasingh Registered Users Posts: 1
    I am a regular user of Hover ceiling fan and I am quite happy and satisfied with the ceiling fan. So, I suggest Hover Ceiling fan.