Need help on inverter/charger

Zakarume
Zakarume Solar Expert Posts: 143 ✭✭
Need some help here plz. I am looking a good inverter/charger.

Specs that i am looking for

1. 24v
2. Pure Sine Wave
3. 1000 - 1500 watt. Perferably 1500 watt
4. Price $500 - $700. I know i wont find one in this price range but i am hoping i can. If not around $1000
5. Good Quality

I need for it to plug into wall to charge batteries in case of no sun.
1460 Watts Solar @24v. 675 AH Battery Bank using 12 6v Trojan T-105. 1 Midnite Classic 150. 1500 Watt 24v Samlex Pure Sine Inverter

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015 #2
    check out Cotek and Samlex, both offer inverters in that voltage range and at about  that price range.
    Do you need it to be hard wired (code compliant)?

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Zakarume
    Just something that is easy like a plug and play unit kinda. Just plug into wall. And hookup to batteries. I am still connected to the electric company. I would like for them to be together instead of having a Inverter and having a charger
    1460 Watts Solar @24v. 675 AH Battery Bank using 12 6v Trojan T-105. 1 Midnite Classic 150. 1500 Watt 24v Samlex Pure Sine Inverter
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    There are no grid tie inverters which can legally and safely be plug connected to an existing receptacle.
    And an off grid inverter (with batteries) cannot be connected to your house system in any way. You need separate receptacles isolated from the house system or you need a transfer switch.
    A true hybrid inverter, which combines off grid and grid tie functions is way outside your price range.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • Zakarume
    I never said anything about a Grid Tie Inverter. I am looking for something similiar to this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQngNOgP5Lg. Except it must be 24v and Pure Sine Wave
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    It sounds like you do not want to hardwire the inverter/charger.  That means you should look into marine certified inverter/chargers.  I think Sterling Power and Victron both sell what you are looking for.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭
    We cant really support "plugging into the house" because it is illegal, and dangerous. Ok so done carefully, is one thing, but the first time you forget to shut off the street power, you might kill the power worker that came to repair the fault. If you are wanting to not use a dedicated subpanel, them you need a transfer switch, and that means hardwired, and that means a electrician. Sorry but thats the official line, wed be irresponsible to provide anything else.
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

• Zakarume
    Why cant anyone listen to what i am saying. I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT A PLUG AND PLAY GRID TIE INVERTER. I AM TALKING ABOUT A INVERTER/CHARGER. Just look at video i posted earlier. Front of inverter shows a power cord that goes to a household plug. Turn the switch to on position to charge the batteries.That is used to charge the batteries. Back of inverter shows where you connect to the back of inverter to the batteries. Turn switch on and you have 110 power. Just watch the video and hopefully you will understand what i am looking for.
  • tabbycat
    tabbycat Solar Expert Posts: 55 ✭✭✭
    It sounds like you need a converter not an inverter. Converters in an RV convert AC to DC for battery charging and to run DC components in an RV. Usually the lights, water pump, and fans in an RV are 12 volt DC.
  • Zakarume
    tabbycat said:
    It sounds like you need a converter not an inverter. Converters in an RV convert AC to DC for battery charging and to run DC components in an RV. Usually the lights, water pump, and fans in an RV are 12 volt DC.
    NO AGAIN. I DO NOT need a Converter. I am talking about a Inverter/Charger
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    The "Plug and Play" kind of confused people--That has been a sales term for GT inverters (typically the ones that are not "Legal" in the US).

For what you are asking about--You might try your luck on Alibaba... There are a lot of suppliers out there--Just need to find one that will sell direct or can lead you to a local importer. For example (I know 12 volt and you want 24 volt):

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/1500W-Pure-Sine-Wave-Power-Inverter_60314809505.html

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • jcheil
    jcheil Solar Expert Posts: 722 ✭✭✭
    It's unlikely you will find a "decent" mid-range inverter/charger for $1000. There are some mid-range inverters(only) around $1000 but in reality, just bite the bullet and spend the $1800 on an Outback Inverter/Charger.  You'll be a lot  happier in the long run. Less problems, less hassle. I've been there myself and many of my friends and neighbors have also.

You think you're saving money but in the long run you will wish you had just  bought the Outback. If you can't afford it now, then simply wait another 6 months (or whatever) and save up for the Outback. You'll be glad you did.

They have a 5 year warranty, have great current capacity, great chargers. UL Listed, etc. Nothing to "rig up".  No hassles at all.

Off-Grid in Central Florida since 2005, Full-Time since June 2014 | 12 X Sovello 205w panels, 9 X ToPoint 220w panels, 36x ToPoint 225w panels (12,525 watts total) | Custom built single-axis ground mounts | Complete FP2 Outback System: 3 x FM80, 2 x VFX3648, X240 Transformer, FLEXnet-DC, Mate-3, Hub-10, FW500 AC/DC | 24 x Trojan L16RE-B Batteries 1110ah @ 48v | Honda EU7000is Generator and a pile of "other" Generators | Home-Made PVC solar hot water collector | Custom data logging software http://www.somewhatcrookedcamp.com/monitormate.html
  • WaterWheel
    WaterWheel Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2015 #13

It looks like you're just looking to keep a few charged batteries around which in a power outage situation you can then use to supply an inverter to run a few lights ect... Is this correct?

If so I'd drop the 24v requirement, buy a decent marine type battery charger (deep cycle) for $150 and a 1500 watt pure sine wave inverter (around $400) and hook it up when the grid goes down to power your fridge.

As earlier posts mentioned your 1st post sounded like you wanted to add power to your home's wiring (local grid).       To do that you need an inverter that matches the local grids AC cycle with the ability to cut off the grid if local power goes down (islanding) to avoid frying some poor lineman repairing your local grid wires.     That's why people at first were so strong questioning your opening post.

To the best of my knowledge as of 2 years ago there were no UL approved automatic islanding grid matching plug in inverters allowed in the US. 

Conext XW6848 with PDP, SCP, 80/600 controller, 60/150 controller and Conext battery monitor

21 SW280 panels on Schletter ground mount

48v Rolls 6CS 27P

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    If you go with the "low cost" inverter + separate charger, you can get (or even make) a simple relay based automatic transfer switch:

PowerMax PMTS-30 Automatic Transfer Switch

-Bill

Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Zakarume
  • zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015 #16
    That will work. Just dont try to plug the ac out into the house. Also:

- so called marine inverters and those used by tradies on the back of their truck, have one hazzard for the unwary. In order to protect youself from earth faults (because the ac side is ungrounded) you should only use a single item at once, or, double insulated items, or/and a GFCI, either as part of the inverter, or in addition.

- the other concern is that no inverter or a battery big enough to power one, is ever simple. You need to ensure adequate fusing, and cable protection, to protect yourself against electrical fires.

For the charger in the us, people seem to like iota. In the pacific area powermaster is also good.
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

• Zakarume
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2015 #18
    I have a Powermax and several IOTA's, the Powermax is not dependable and it control function never did work. The IOTA you listed is the plain model without IQ4 that is good as it gives you more charging options. You can buy the IQ4 as a plug-in module from the sponsor.

http://www.solar-electric.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=IQ4+Smart+Controller&cat=0

There may also be a way to change the voltage output of the charger, some of the boards have changed so I hate to tell you how to do it. A search of this site you should find posts about it or post back.