Need some help on pumps

Options
coflyfisher
coflyfisher Registered Users Posts: 3
Good day to everyone.  Newbe here.  I've got some property in Jewett TX (sandy loam soil) and will be drilling a new well during January 2016.  I've already made the water well drilling rig (pretty cool) but need to research some possibilities about the pumping system.  Would prefer to go solar since we turn the power off at the property when we are not there.  Wind mill isn't an option as the trees are very tall around where I will be drilling.  Most of our water can be found between 25' - 50'.  I plan to drill approx. 75'-100' to give me enough draw down.  I've seen the DC submersible pumps which look pretty nice but have also heard about the AC pumps being ran on DC systems with solar panels.  I'm struggling with how much solar panels to buy and if I should go with a DC pump or AC pump using a converter.  The water will be used to keep our ponds full mainly.  Any suggestions would be much appreciated. 
Tagged:

Comments

• Aguarancher
    Aguarancher Solar Expert Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    Options
    For a stand alone solar pump set-up you can be looking at close to $3k. With your trees, shading on your panels would be of concern. It also depends on your water needs as in GPM of water and how much your well can produce. If I had grid power available, I’d go that route and use a timer on the pump.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Is this for your domestic water supply also, or just to keep your ponds full? 

In either case I suggest you look at the Grundfos line of submersible pumps.  They make one that can run from AC or DC.   You can run it from solar panels without a battery.  If you can make that work for you it is far and away your best option... do whatever you can to avoid batteries.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • coflyfisher
    Options
    vtmaps said:
    Is this for your domestic water supply also, or just to keep your ponds full? 

In either case I suggest you look at the Grundfos line of submersible pumps.  They make one that can run from AC or DC.   You can run it from solar panels without a battery.  If you can make that work for you it is far and away your best option... do whatever you can to avoid batteries.

--vtMaps

This is just to keep our ponds full. 
  • Anawa
    Anawa Solar Expert Posts: 225 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2015 #5
    Options
    Assuming that the Grundfos SQE line of pumps is your selection, and since its intended use is only to fill your ponds, you will only need to size the pump based on the well capacity (inclusive of the well recharge rate). 

It would seem that the order of things for you are to determine exactly where you intend to drill your well. As vtmaps has stated, trees and shading on your panels have significant impact on the sizing of your array. I currently pump my well water with a Grundfos SQE (11 Gpm) into storage tanks. The well has a respectable re-charge rate and is about 400 ft from where I have my tanks, controller, and PV array. Additionally, the pump is suspended down in the well another 140ft. What this may mean for you is that there is some flexibility in the location of the array-controller set-up in relation to your well head. Wire sizing is a major consideration in your design. 

Your post suggests that you intend to do your own well drilling (designed the drilling rig). That's great and will no doubt  save you a lot of money. Hopefully, your installation will include a lining pipe and your substrate will not be friable and tend to "fluff-off" as the submersible pumps don't like a lot of sand and other stuff gumming up the works.

Finally, your pump size and necessary equipment will depend on you final well capacity, which can only be determined after you finish drilling. I agree with vtmaps, you are probably looking at an expenditure of $3k or so. Hopefully, this is within your budget.

Edit: As aquarancher not vtmaps stated $3k.

Paul
    In Georgia

Paul 
    in Georgia

System 1: PV- 410w Evergreen, Mppt- Blue Sky Solar Boost, Batt - 225ah Deka AGM, 12v led house lighting,
    System 2: PV- 215w Kyocera, PWM - Morningstar PS30, Batt- 225ah Deka GC's, 12v led house lighting, Dankoff 12v water pump,
    System 3: PV- 1.5kw Kyocera, Grundfos 11 SQF well pump, 3000 gal above ground water storage, dom water & irrigation,
    System 4: PV- 6.1kw Kyocera, Mppt- Outback FM80-2ea, Inverter- Outback FX3648-2ea, Batt- 804ah GB traction, Grundfos BMQE booster pump 240v, Mitsibushi mini-splits 240v, 18k and 15k
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The fancy "any voltage" Grundfos SQE pumps are expensive,.... but can deliver usable water at low rates with just 1 PV panel.   If you have to have an inverter and want to run a conventional AC power pump off of it, you need an inverter large enough to meet the surge for starting the motor. Sample power requirement sheet attached. 3 wire motors have lower starting surge.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• coflyfisher
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who has left comments.  I see that a couple of you have stated that the Grundfos pumps are somewhat expensive.  Are there any other brands that I should look into?  This is just a project that I wanted to complete as a hobby.