1/2 HP AC well pump with pressure switch and Inverter sleep mode

2»

Comments

• Texas Wellman
    Texas Wellman Solar Expert Posts: 153 ✭✭
    Re: 1/2 HP AC well pump with pressure switch and Inverter sleep mode

That is an above-ground version of the SQE. The SQE is the VFD version of the SQ and is very well thought of in water well circles. It's pricey though.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    That is an above-ground version of the SQE. The SQE is the VFD version of the SQ and is very well thought of in water well circles. It's pricey though.

Agree that the cost is out of the cabin crowd budget. What would you do for less $ and similar performance?
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭

Most mechanical pressure switches have a fixed dead band between opening and closing pressure but the two settings together can be altered over a range typically from ~10 PSI to ~60 PSI closing, with the opening voltage being ~20 PSI higher. closing. More expensive pressure switches will allow you to adjust the differential also, although getting the setting wrong can cause the pump to cycle far too rapidly and be damaged. The typical pump motor should not start more than around 10 times per hour for best life.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    inetdog wrote: »
    the opening voltage being ~20 PSI higher.
    Oh I like that! So glad I'm not the only one to interchange measurements. :D
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Oh I like that! So glad I'm not the only one to interchange measurements. :D

Yes, the standard analogy of pressure in water flow to voltage in electrical circuitry has a life of its own sometimes. :)
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • Hill_Country
    Hill_Country Solar Expert Posts: 96 ✭✭

I wanted to provide an update on this thread for those of you who may be following it, or using it as a resource.

After much research, I've decided to return the 1/2 HP AC Jet Pump and go with an Aquatec 24VDC Series 550 pump (Model: 5503-AEE-B736). It is a diaphragm pump that pumps about 3-5 GPM, depending on the pressure. We will still be using a pressure tank (33 gallon, with 10.3 gallons of drawdown at 50/30psi). The cost of this diaphragm pump is less than half the cost of the 1/2 HP AC jet pump (Red Lion RLC-50) and uses considerably less current.

I had also contacted Aquatec Tech Support and asked them about DC vs. AC for these Series 550 pumps...the tech support representative responded with the following: "For maximum motor life and efficiency, I would recommend going with the lowest voltage possible, and DC." Since I am going to have a 24v connection (even though I'm going with a 48v system, I have an autotransformer that lowers the voltage from 48v to 24v) I am going with the 24vdc version of this pump.

Hope this helps!
    100% Off-grid with: 8 Solarworld 275 Watt Panels, 8 Concorde SunXtender 405aH 6v AGM Batteries, MS-4448PAE 48v Inverter, MidNite Solar Classic 200 Charge Controller, 10,000 gallon rainwater collection system, etc.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    I had also contacted Aquatec Tech Support and asked them about DC vs. AC for these Series 550 pumps...the tech support representative responded with the following: "For maximum motor life and efficiency, I would recommend going with the lowest voltage possible, and DC."

Lowest voltage? Who knew!? http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?22792

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • davemac
    davemac Registered Users Posts: 39 ✭✭

I've purchased a 33 gallon pressure tank (has a draw-down of about 10 gallons in the 30psi-50psi range) mated with a 1/2 HP 120v AC jet pump (Red Lion RJC-50), which can provide about 10gpm in the 30psi to 50psi range. I figure that the pump will only have to come on about 3-5 times a day, maybe less, and when it does, it should only be for a minute or two. For the cost, it was hard to pass up spending about $275 for the 33 gallon pressure tank and $240 for the 1/2 HP AC pump

Howdy Hill Country

Your water pressure setup appeals to me and my off grid plans, do you have any hard numbers on the watts/day your system demands relative to the amount of water you use. 

Even a ball park figure for the number & duration of refill cycles and amperage of the Red Lion pump would be interesting for me.

Thanks!
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do you keep your rainwater pure ?   It will gather some junk in the harvest & storage process .  Then sitting there, stagnant till you use it.  I use a Triple O ozone generator in my domestic tank,   About 50w for the air pump and UV tube,

Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Anawa
    Anawa Solar Expert Posts: 225 ✭✭✭
    Hey guys, just got into this thread. FWTW, Grundfos makes an above ground version SQ and it's called BMQE (EZ Boost). I know because I have one and use it every day. It's well suited for what the OP is looking for. My domestic water is pressured with this pump from above ground storage tanks hold 3,000 gallons. When the system needs pressurizing, the pump runs for approximately 45 seconds until it shuts off. 

Paul
    Paul 
    in Georgia

System 1: PV- 410w Evergreen, Mppt- Blue Sky Solar Boost, Batt - 225ah Deka AGM, 12v led house lighting,
    System 2: PV- 215w Kyocera, PWM - Morningstar PS30, Batt- 225ah Deka GC's, 12v led house lighting, Dankoff 12v water pump,
    System 3: PV- 1.5kw Kyocera, Grundfos 11 SQF well pump, 3000 gal above ground water storage, dom water & irrigation,
    System 4: PV- 6.1kw Kyocera, Mppt- Outback FM80-2ea, Inverter- Outback FX3648-2ea, Batt- 804ah GB traction, Grundfos BMQE booster pump 240v, Mitsibushi mini-splits 240v, 18k and 15k
  • davemac
    davemac Registered Users Posts: 39 ✭✭
    mike95490 said:
    How do you keep your rainwater pure ?   It will gather some junk in the harvest & storage process .  Then sitting there, stagnant till you use it.  I use a Triple O ozone generator in my domestic tank,   About 50w for the air pump and UV tube,

Currently, I use a simple ceramic water filter that gravity cleans water from a cistern into a drinking water collector in the kitchen. But to be honest, I have been drinking unfiltered rain water (from new zinc/alum roofing & guttering) & local spring water for years with luckily, no ill effects. To be honest, I filter the rain water because visitors get a little freaked out about drinking 'native' water. 

I haven't noticed any 'stagnation' in my 5000 gal tank. It often overflows given the wet year past, so I believe that there has been plenty of flushing and fresh water recharging in the tank. That could be a benefit for not going for too large a water tank or centralizing your water collection
  • e12do
    e12do Registered Users Posts: 7 ✭✭
  • e12do
    e12do Registered Users Posts: 7 ✭✭

You might want to consider piping your water thru a simple float system like this. It keeps the inlet out of the contaminates that are light and float and off the bottom where heavies are. You will find that bird droppings, dust etc settle to the bottom or float on top. I live in an earth ship and have water catchment.