Cut-off lows, the ultimate in "Bad weather"...

CALLD
CALLD Solar Expert Posts: 230 ✭✭
Sadly, they hit from time to time especially for those living in coastal climates in the mid-latitudes. A low pressure system (Cyclone, depression, trough - whatever you want to call them) that becomes detached from the normal west-east movement of weather systems. It just lingers for days to weeks in the same place dumping huge amounts of rain causing floods and of course setting new records of lower than low PV production.

Day 4 now, with 4 more to go before (we all dearly hope), confirmation that the sun still indeed exists...

Comments

• SkiDoo55
    SkiDoo55 Solar Expert Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    Please send some of that rain to California
    GT3.8 w/4600W Trina 230W, TX5000 w/5000W ET-250W, XW4024 w/1500W ET-250W, 4 L16, 5500W Gen. (never had to use) Yet!!
  • Johann
    Johann Solar Expert Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    SkiDoo55 said:
    Please send some of that rain to California
    California Utilities would just charge their customers more money for having to much rain.

• solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    We could us a good soaker as well
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    At least you are not out in a boat in that stuff !
     When solar panel output declines it is telling you that you need more. The old joke I keep telling is there are 2 kinds of people,
     those who want solar and those who want more.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• SkiDoo55
    SkiDoo55 Solar Expert Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
     B) yes they would or are trying to how to meter and charge for the rain. Up until a few years ago it was actually illegal to capture rain water and store it.
    can't do much more solar on my site, and I am already generating @4 MWh surplus each year. Need to figure ways to reduce natural gas use now with electricity for the winter.
    GT3.8 w/4600W Trina 230W, TX5000 w/5000W ET-250W, XW4024 w/1500W ET-250W, 4 L16, 5500W Gen. (never had to use) Yet!!
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    SkiDoo55 said:
     B) yes they would or are trying to how to meter and charge for the rain. Up until a few years ago it was actually illegal to capture rain water and store it.
    can't do much more solar on my site, and I am already generating @4 MWh surplus each year. Need to figure ways to reduce natural gas use now with electricity for the winter.
    It seems very odd at first, but in areas of chronic drought the owners of downstream higher priority rights will be adversely affected by the fact that runoff (even just from your roof) is not immediately making its way downstream to them.

SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
    Roof water doesn't account for 1/10 of 1% of available rain fall. Its just a power grab by power hungry legislators showing their dominance and idiocy.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    softdown said:
    Roof water doesn't account for 1/10 of 1% of available rain fall. Its just a power grab by power hungry legislators showing their dominance and idiocy.
    Are you saying that "they would not be there if they knew what they were doing"
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net