New forum software is live - report any errors, bugs, or issues here.

rick
rick Administrators Posts: 134 admin
The new software is now live. The DNS settings will be updated soon and everyone should slowly be seeing the new site. If you have any issues or concerns, please address them in this thread. Let's try to take care of any problems first before we discuss the look or layout of the forum. I want to first be sure that everything is working properly.
Website administrator for Northern Arizona Wind & Sun

Comments

• Mountain Don
    Mountain Don Solar Expert Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    Check the PM / message I sent to you regarding permissions. 
    Northern NM, 624 watts PV, The Kid CC, GC-2 batteries @ 24 VDC, Outback VFX3524M
  • Mountain Don
    Looks like you fixed that issue.   
    Northern NM, 624 watts PV, The Kid CC, GC-2 batteries @ 24 VDC, Outback VFX3524M
  • rick
    I did. Thanks for letting me know!
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    I notice that the thread START date is not shown now... it helps to know if the topic is fresh or revived or ongoing

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • westbranch
    I notice there are only 9 posts attributed to me since 2014????

CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
  • westbranch
    So what do all these badge things do... can they be deleted?

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    It looks like signatures did not come over--And I do not have permissions to have a signature...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Aguarancher
    Aguarancher Solar Expert Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2015 #9
    It appears as though you have to have an account and be signed to view the forum. Is this by design? If so, visitors are locked out. Also not able to paste a comment from a word doc to comments? Is this also by design?
  • Aguarancher
    There is no link to the online store. Clicking on the "wind&sun" at the top of the page goes no where?
  • sub3marathonman
    sub3marathonman Solar Expert Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2015 #11
    It appears as though you have to have an account and be signed to view the forum. Is this by design? If so, visitors are locked out.
    I think I'm liable to be locked out too, as I don't want to spend the time every day I check here to sign in.

Also, I don't see the "Today's Posts" button, which was actually very nice.  Has that been moved somewhere else or eliminated?

• Aguarancher

Also, I don't see the "Today's Posts" button, which was actually very nice.  Has that been moved somewhere else or eliminated?

'today's posts' now called 'recent discussions'.
  • sub3marathonman
    sub3marathonman Solar Expert Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    OK, thanks for the update. 
  • BB.
    edited September 2015 #14
    It looks like table formats have been lost in the conversion--For example I past. Let me test posting a table here:

San Francisco
    Average Solar Insolation figures

Measured in kWh/m2/day onto a solar panel set at a 52° angle:
    (For best year-round performance)
    Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun

Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec

Test...

Hmm... That worked.

-Bill

Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • BB.
    This post:

http://forum.solar-electric.com/discussion/comment/349354/#Comment_349354

Formatted the table (from conversion) as:

http://solarelectricityhandbook.com/solar-irradiance.html
    [h=3]Sydney
    Average Solar Insolation figures[/h] Measured in kWh/m2/day onto a solar panel set at a 56° angle from vertical:
    (For best year-round performance)

Jan
    Feb
    Mar
    Apr
    May
    Jun

Jul
    Aug
    Sep
    Oct
    Nov
    Dec

==========================
    Also, am I missing a "quote" tag/button on the edit tool bar?

-Bill
  • BB.
    Do we have a method to delete old Private Messages?

-Bill
  • rick
    I notice there are only 9 posts attributed to me since 2014????

When I look at your profile, it shows me that you have 3,818 posts. Where are you seeing it say you only have 9 posts?
  • rick
    I notice that the thread START date is not shown now... it helps to know if the topic is fresh or revived or ongoing
    Honestly, I'm not sure what you're referring to. I never used the forums too often, so I'm not familiar with all the features and tools that were available. Maybe BB. knows what you're referring to? It may be something that we can add.
  • rick
    BB. said:
    Do we have a method to delete old Private Messages?

-Bill
    I think you have to click on the message and then there will be a button that says delete conversation, I think. Let me know if that doesn't work.
  • BB.
    Don't see anything to delete PMs...

-Bill
  • rick
    It appears as though you have to have an account and be signed to view the forum. Is this by design? If so, visitors are locked out. Also not able to paste a comment from a word doc to comments? Is this also by design?
    This has been fixed. The forum was set to private only. Now the public can view the forum without logging in.
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015 #22
    I see that Recent Discussions is the analog of Today's Posts but I have not found a way to list Unread Posts. What have I overlooked?
    PS: I can do without the Badges. I do participate in another Forum that makes good use of them, but I do not think we currently have that kind of culture here.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • inetdog
    edited September 2015 #23
    Looks like signatures are disabled by default for regular users. Do you want to restore that capability?

Also users should be aware that the Notification setup is very different and settings did not carry over from the old Forum. All users should update the Notification Settings in their profile.
  • SolarPowered
    SolarPowered Solar Expert Posts: 626 ✭✭✭
    Forum main URL page is missing, says not found
  • Mountain Don
    I am happy to see that the Vanilla software is responsive, that is mobile device friendly.  However it is not perfect. In case this is browser dependent, I use Chrome on my laptop. I use an Android mobile and run the Chrome App on it. Chrome is set to share my bookmarks between my devices. 

When I use my laptop, the Home Page provides the following in the menubar across the top.... first on the left is the wind & sun logo. Next are:  Categories    Discussions   Activity    Mark All Viewed    Best of...  and then the search field

On the Abdroid the menubar does not have the logo. That's good as it saves bandwidth.  However there is no choice to select (click on) Categories    Discussions   Activity.    I don't mind there not being a Categories to select as categories come up under the Home selection. . But the missing Discussions linky and the missing Activity linky are a big deal to me if I want to use my mobile device. Perhaps the authors have taken a different approach to how the mobile version works. I'll have to spend some more time looking. However, if that is the case it is then annoying asI don't like having to learn 2 new ways of doing things.

I will say I am pretty happy with the PC (larger screen) version. And it is good to see a mobile friendly version. I simply wish it was more similar to the PC version. 
  • inetdog
    edited September 2015 #26
    The URL forum.solar-electric.com works fine. If you saved a bookmark to the "main page" while using the old software, that particular URL may not exist in the new system.
    Best procedure would be to delete and recreate all Forum bookmarks that you are used to using.
  • rick
    BB. said:
    It looks like signatures did not come over--And I do not have permissions to have a signature...

-Bill
    Hmm...I'm looking into this. I have signatures enabled on the settings page, so I'm not sure why it's not working. Just out of curiosity, what makes you think you don't have permissions to have a signature. Did you get a message saying that somewhere?
  • rick
    What URL are you using? All the old URL's should have been redirected to the new forum page.
  • inetdog
    rick said:
    BB. said:

-Bill
    Hmm...I'm looking into this. I have signatures enabled on the settings page, so I'm not sure why it's not working. Just out of curiosity, what makes you think you don't have permissions to have a signature. Did you get a message saying that somewhere?

When I open my profile and go to the Signature Settings link I see, above the actual options, the message that I am not allowed to use a signature.
  • inetdog
    When using the Quote feature on a post with an existing quote, I got a data entry box in which it was not possible to move the insert point out of the nested quote structure. I had to switch to HTML view to complete my post.
    Also, there was not Delete or Cancel button for the attempted post to allow me to start over. Using the browser back button just took me back to the list when i reeentered that thread the partial post in progress was still there.
  • inetdog
    edited September 2015 #31
    I miss the explicit option of going to the last unread post in a thread. Either it is happening automatically or it is going to the end of the thread. Not sure which ATM.
This discussion has been closed.