Intro

OffgridKid
OffgridKid Registered Users Posts: 3
Hi fellas,
OffgridKid here from down under in NZ, not Australia, but NZ! Looking to expand my knowledge base on Solarpower.

Comments

• OffgridKid
    I'm about to go Solar on our retirement home on a offshore Island. I'm looking to buy a mixture of componentry for a small startup 2.5kw system of 48v with a view to expanding later.
    6 or 8 Trina Honey 260w PV's, 1 - MPPT Charger Controller FLEXMax 60 or 80, not sure which, perhaps some of you Solar Guru's could advise? a Outback Inverter Charger, again I need guidance here on the correct item for this setup and I'm looking at Lead acid flooded, Deep cycle batteries x 6 or more, again your views and suggestions would be much appreciated
    Kind Regards
    OffgridKid
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Welcome to the forum.

Do you have any idea about how much power you will need? Where is the installation/do you have information on how much sun you will receive on average by month?

http://solarelectricityhandbook.com/solar-irradiance.html
    [h=3]Sydney
    Average Solar Insolation figures[/h] Measured in kWh/m2/day onto a solar panel set at a 56° angle from vertical:
    (For best year-round performance)

Jan
    Feb
    Mar
    Apr
    May
    Jun

Jul
    Aug
    Sep
    Oct
    Nov
    Dec

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • OffgridKid
    Hi BB,
    Thanks for rapid response, I'm out of town today, I have yet to conduct a accurate Load Analysist of our appliances.
    As soon as I obtain these along with answers to your questions, I shall get back to you asap.
    Kind Regards
    OffgridKid
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm just popping in, but I believe Trina is one of the companies that China is allowing to go bankrupt, in case you have warranty concerns, worth checking out.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Alex
    Alex Registered Users Posts: 12
    Hi Photowhit,

where did you hear that about Trina? They're strongly leveraged but I cannot find any info about them being close to bankruptcy nor about whether or not the government would bail them out.

Best
    Alex
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad you checked it out, back when they had a big sell off and were among the cheapest panels in the US, I read up, Not the specific article I read but about the same vintage... Specific article was about China not propping up solar across the board...

http://www.energyandcapital.com/articles/chinas-next-bankrupt-solar-stock/3297

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.