Requesting info on 24V forklift battery charger

elesaver
elesaver Solar Expert Posts: 185 ✭✭
I'm in the throes of researching 24V forklift batteries and chargers. There is a lot of info about the batteries but I'm finding scant info about a charger for emergency purposes. The goal is to find a 24V charger that would run from a Honda EU 3000i. I am looking at a 938aH battery, using it to a DOD of no greater than 50%. I have 1800W of PV which is toward the minimal edge of PV but I think it will work. It's not like I HAVE to live off grid, it's just that it's fun to know you can. :-) I'd like to get a high amp charger but would like to run it on the Honda generator but could run it from a 120V outlet as long as there is power. Ice storms are forecast for the winter so a person has to be ready. :-) So, if there is info about an adequate charger someone would share, I'd appreciate knowing. Thank you.
1st system:  24Vsystem with 8 X 300W panels, Midnite Solar combiner box, Midnite Solar mini-dc disconnect, Midnite Solar Classic 150, Outback VFX 3524 with mate, 2 X 12V  fforklift batteries in series 938 aH,  (Outback PSX transformer, Honda EU3000is...not currently hooked up but available if/when needed)

2nd system:  24V system with 4 X 310W panels, Midnite Solar combiner box, Midnite Solar mini-dc disconnect, Midnite Solar Classic 200, Cotek 1500W pure sine inverter, Trojan 125 batteries (8 available but "currently" using 4)

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Generally, forklift chargers are 240V, so you need a genset with 240V capability. You need about 90 amps of charger to keep the batteries happy (de-stratified). That needs a 15A circuit at 240V. "Theory" says 2,200w would be enough, but that's going to run for several hours, charfgers are NOT 90% efficient. so there are even more losses and higher loading on the genset.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• lkruper
    lkruper Solar Expert Posts: 115 ✭✭
    mike95490 wrote: »
    Generally, forklift chargers are 240V, so you need a genset with 240V capability. You need about 90 amps of charger to keep the batteries happy (de-stratified). That needs a 15A circuit at 240V. "Theory" says 2,200w would be enough, but that's going to run for several hours, charfgers are NOT 90% efficient. so there are even more losses and higher loading on the genset.

Or to de-stratify, a smaller charger and pick up the battery and shake vigorously once per hour ;)
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    mike95490 wrote: »
    Generally, forklift chargers are 240V, so you need a genset with 240V capability. You need about 90 amps of charger to keep the batteries happy (de-stratified). That needs a 15A circuit at 240V. "Theory" says 2,200w would be enough, but that's going to run for several hours, chargers are NOT 90% efficient. so there are even more losses and higher loading on the genset.
    2200 watts ÷ 90 amps = 24.4 volts. Pushing 90 amps through that battery, as its voltage rises above 24.4, will take a lot more than 2200 watts. By specs, the eu3000 will not be able to run a 90 amp charger for very long, if at all. The OP should look carefully at the specs of a 75 amp charger to see if it falls within the limits of his generator.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • lkruper
    lkruper Solar Expert Posts: 115 ✭✭
    vtmaps wrote: »
    2200 watts ÷ 90 amps = 24.4 volts. Pushing 90 amps through that battery, as its voltage rises above 24.4, will take a lot more than 2200 watts. By specs, the eu3000 will not be able to run a 90 amp charger for very long, if at all. The OP should look carefully at the specs of a 75 amp charger to see if it falls within the limits of his generator.

--vtMaps

If I recall, the higher amperage 24v chargers in this range are 220v input and the eu3000 is 120v. There is a parallel version of the eu3000 which ties two generators together, with 2X the output, but I think it remains 120v.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Can you go with a larger Honda em4000sx type genset?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • elesaver
    elesaver Solar Expert Posts: 185 ✭✭
    Originally posted by sc solar View Post
    I guess that always limits my charging as well..(hard to find generator with more than
    a 30 amp plug and capacity @ 120v..)

Photowit responded:
    I'm not a generator guy, but 30 amps at 120v AC is 150amps DC in wattage, no perfect conversion, but a reasonable charge rate likely for up to a 1200Amphour battery bank

I had found this post so I'm a bit confused. I had thought all forklift chargers were 240V but this seems to be otherwise. An error, perhaps? I don't get the math on this post but that's why I'm asking for help. :-) No, I don't think I can shake a forklift battery for an hour...30 minutes, maybe...but never for an hour.
    1st system:  24Vsystem with 8 X 300W panels, Midnite Solar combiner box, Midnite Solar mini-dc disconnect, Midnite Solar Classic 150, Outback VFX 3524 with mate, 2 X 12V  fforklift batteries in series 938 aH,  (Outback PSX transformer, Honda EU3000is...not currently hooked up but available if/when needed)

2nd system:  24V system with 4 X 310W panels, Midnite Solar combiner box, Midnite Solar mini-dc disconnect, Midnite Solar Classic 200, Cotek 1500W pure sine inverter, Trojan 125 batteries (8 available but "currently" using 4)

• inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    lkruper wrote: »

Or to de-stratify, a smaller charger and pick up the battery and shake vigorously once per hour ;)
    Using the fork lift, of course.

SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    I look at stratification and trapped oxygen / hydrogen as two different issues. It is true that stratification of the electrolyte can be corrected with higher voltage charging above minimum gassing. The trapped oxygen / hydrogen requires a vibration, jolt to be released from between the plates and separators. I see it in GC-2's and L-16's all the time, I will never check the SG level until I release it with a good rap with a rubber mallet or a crowbar type screw driver I carry. Once you take the cap off you can get electrolyte blown out in your face if you don't.