The new Conext SW4024 review

124»

Comments

• DMJ72
    DMJ72 Solar Expert Posts: 131 ✭✭
    Re: The new Conext SW4024 review
    They don't sell the VFX3048 there? :confused: I wonder why not?

Nope, only the FX2024J and the VFX3024J which are both 120VAC/50 Hz models. No 48V version for our 50Hz split phase Grid. No GT capable models either (which really really sucks). Of course Schneider just loves this, as their XW is selling like hotcakes!
  • DMJ72

Came face to face with this inverter today. I am tempted...
  • SkiDoo55
    SkiDoo55 Solar Expert Posts: 414 ✭✭✭

Just some info on seeing them on the shelves in a store here in Haiti. I am in country from home on a job. Cutting up a Brazilian B707 (KC-135). Crashed back in May this year. A Home Depot equalivent store had them in stock and on the shelves. SW2024 and SW4024. Of course they had some of the 10,000 watt 12 VDC types also. Pretty interesting on what they carried, generators, electrical switch gear etc. Of course this country is trying to rebuild after Earthquakes and hurricanes. Haven't seen a large amount of solar panels, but lots of houses with very large genset's also.

home before Christmas
    GT3.8 w/4600W Trina 230W, TX5000 w/5000W ET-250W, XW4024 w/1500W ET-250W, 4 L16, 5500W Gen. (never had to use) Yet!!
  • DMJ72
    Dapdan wrote: »
    To all,

This is an update. For the past two weeks I have been in regular contact with a very nice and helpful lady at Schneider- Sandra H..........Oh and one more thing...they are working on a 48v model to the Conext SW. Sorry Ray if let the cat out of the bag.

Cheers...
    Damani

P.S.

A special thanks also to halfcrazy of Midnite. Thanks for the hook-up bud.

Hey Dapdan, hows it going with the inverter? any updates?
  • DMJ72

Just bought this inverter .. and I am having issues with the fan control also :

* Manufactured in November 2013, Model 865-4024.
    * Firmware revision : 2.02.03 BN 0

Day 1. Installed it on the wall, with plenty (>3') of ventilation space all around. 26*C- 30*C Ambient temperature. Powered it on, it went through the boot up sequence with the fans spun up, then spun down and shut them off in under a minute. No loads connected as it has not been patched in yet.

Day 2. Came home in the evening around 6pm, and the fans were on (which never surprised me as the house is hot in the days). They never went off by themselves. Cycling the main breaker @ 9pm then resulted in a quiet unit upon restart. I then decided to reboot the unit using a 3-second press of the reset button, the fans came on and stayed on. This is a repeatable step, rebooting the unit with a 3-second salute will always make the fans come on and stay on regardless of the environmental conditions. The fans do reduce their RPM to a minimum though.

Day 3. Connecting the BTS to the inverter seems to have an effect on the length of time the fans stay on, withe the BTS they shut off after 1-2 hours .. Still no loads connected to the inverter.

Will keep you all updated..
  • DMJ72

Well I connected some loads today, namely a 13 Cuft Fridge and some lights and I can say all is well!

the fans stayed off for most of the day, came on for a while then went off by sunset and are still off @9pm. So maybe it just needed some time to get settled. Also my only experience with an inverter capable of > 2000 watts would be Outback's 3024J which has a brief, quieter more gradual fan control. So inexperiece could be a factor here as well. The Conext SW seems to bring on the fans aggressively and keep them on for a long time, the gradually taper and them shut off, even with a load of < 200watts.

So far I am very happy with this inverter.

p.s. The BTS is now disconnected.
  • Wulfman
    Wulfman Registered Users Posts: 7 ✭✭
    I would like to add my 2 cents worth to this review. I purchased 2 SW4024s back in April 2nd 2015. So far I have had nothing but errors running them stacked. Single they work perfect. While running stacked sometimes the slave inverter seems to decide that charging the battery is a good thing to do when my jet pump starts. This causes the lights to flicker and the slave to toss a under voltage error and shutdown. I did extensive logging and came to the conclusion of a firmware error. What you see is the master trying to supply way more current then the Single inverter would normally supply and in the DCoutput.log file for the slave there is a number seeming to indicate positive watts to the battery. Tech support was very helpful sending me another inverter to try with the same errors still occurring. Nope no admission of anything wrong from him but to this day they still do not function as a stacked unit. Another issue is that while inverting the slave inverter sometimes will show 10 volts less on the output internal metering. Measured with a fluke in the inverters outputs they are more or less the same and not agreeing with the slaves internal measurement. I had the Tech send me a log from his testbed and his also showed the same thing while inverting. The tech was trying to duplicate my setup for the errors but was using resistive loads. The inverters have no issues with resistive loads. Except the voltage measurement issue. Even with his logs showing the one error he refused to admit that there was a problem. I guess that's how they are told to deal with customers. The customer is treated well but they are never right. They offered to send me 2 more inverters but why bother when nothing has been fixed. I don't need to spend the time swapping out inverters. He offered to swap out the 2 SW4024s for one XW6048 but i really do not want to spend 4000$ more on another 12 2 volt cells to make that work. I also bought 2 inverters so that if one failed i would have the second as a backup so my investment in frozen foods was not wasted. All in all this is one hell of an inverter in STANDALONE mode. Flawless performance and i give it 5 stars, stacked mode I give this 1/2 star. Stacking is just not ready for prime time. And for the fan issue above mine seem to run a bit too much even in a 75 degree room but since i don't live in that room i can deal with it. Better to have the inverter cool than burn down the house.
  • bmet
    bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭
    Dapdan wrote: »

Maybe this context is not meañ t for tropical climates but that would not make any sense.

Cheers...
    Damani

Does the humidity factor in? Is the Heat Index higher than ambient temperature?
  • halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    Schneider has some stacking issues. They claim to have them worked out and should have a new firmware release in a few weeks. What I found seemed to be from the AC in and AC out neutrals being common.